SUP ALL YOU ART SCHOOL KIDS [update] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 am
mostly posting this here cause I really need a second opinion and I don't know any other guild with as high of an artist concentration ; o;

so I guess all you guys have a tight eye for art. I just need to know if the shadow on her thigh cast by her arm is retarded. or really any of the other lighting is retarded

anatomy help would be nice too ;__;

because i can't decide if it works with the lighting or not. I've never had decent formal art training so you know. some lighting s**t blows my mind LOL

User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:03 pm
From the position of her arm and the light source, it seems like it should be more vertical than it is right now. I'm no art major and I only had high school art, so you probably want to get an opinion from someone more trained.

It's really good! I really like her four eyes. The ones on the side look like they are actually part of her body (my main complain about sci-fi creature art of humans with multiple limbs, eyes, mouths, wings, etc. is that they look like they were pasted on.).  

Eudaemon

Unbeatable Visionary

10,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 pm
it was actually more vertical before but then I chnged it so it wrappes around her thigh more. but now i just don't know D;

welp that's why I'm here :'D

The character I'm illustrating is pretty freaky looking [the arm sticking out is actually supposed to be all tumoury and veiny], so it'll be a challenge to make it all work.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:49 pm
The lighting seems to be coming from higher-up than the middle of the piece, so lowering the shadow on her leg would be my first advice. Making it more vertical is something I agree with.

But also work on defining the foreshortening in her arm. It looks stumpy.  

dakki-dono

Omnipresent Loiterer

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:05 pm
dakki-dono
The lighting seems to be coming from higher-up than the middle of the piece, so lowering the shadow on her leg would be my first advice. Making it more vertical is something I agree with.

But also work on defining the foreshortening in her arm. It looks stumpy.
mmkay, thanks :]

how would you suggest I define it more? :'O  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:49 pm
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I know what contest this is for! biggrin Good luck.

Anyways probably not the answer you are looking for since it has nothing to do with lighting, but upper arm looks so much shorter then the lower half.
Like 2 inches of upper arm, elbow , then a normal lower arm area.
And the other hand looks tiny. I'm not a artist but it just don't look right to my untrained eye. sweatdrop  

Shiver`

Frozen Sex Symbol

Eudaemon

Unbeatable Visionary

10,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:19 pm
I agree with the arm foreshortening. It needs more shadows, but I think that after you add in all of that flesh and stuff that is attached to the room, you probably won't even notice the elbow that much.

Oh yeah, this is one of keiiii's OCs...I knew it looked familiar! That thing has been going on for over a year now. I think the rules alone intimidate most people from entering (66 pictures in a year and three months is a bit...small).

Hopefully, whenever that thing ends, you win!

(warning: rant)
Saying that this piece of art basically sucks and shows no skill because the girl used a reference for the pose is...disconcerting. The only issue I see with it is her sleeve is too pillowy. (end rant)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:54 pm
Eudaemon
I agree with the arm foreshortening. It needs more shadows, but I think that after you add in all of that flesh and stuff that is attached to the room, you probably won't even notice the elbow that much.

Oh yeah, this is one of keiiii's OCs...I knew it looked familiar! That thing has been going on for over a year now. I think the rules alone intimidate most people from entering (66 pictures in a year and three months is a bit...small).

Saying that this piece of art basically sucks and shows no skill because the girl used a reference for the pose is...disconcerting. The only issue I see with it is her sleeve is too pillowy. (end rant)

wait wait wait they ******** what WHAT are you kididng me  

koirat

Shirtless Dog

15,025 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Magical Girl 50

floraIwitch

Popular Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:56 pm
I drew the arm how I thought it would look better for the feel of the picture.

User Image

Also, I noticed something with the length of her calves. On most average height women, the length of the calf bone from the bottom of the knee join to the top of the ankle is a little longer than the length of her head. The inner-most leg is around the correct length, but the outer leg is a little too long. The knee cap and ankles on both are about touching, and the angle of the leg give it the illusion that it's much longer.

I also felt like the hand on the inside was awkward, being positioned palm-up. Maybe if you drew it palm down with the fingers gripping the sheet? I feel that would also add to the general feel of the piece. Her face reads "vulnerable" to me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:43 pm
For me I pick up styles of drawing without being taught. But I don't know how to improve on s**t though.

You should totally see my drawings in real life emotion_dealwithit

Is the emotion_dealwithit thingy so offputting?  

Dexigone

Lonely Athlete

21,450 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Shiver`

Frozen Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:07 pm
Eudaemon

User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Wait, that picture was submitted to the Halo contest and Keiiii said that?
*is confused*  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:08 pm
Eudaemon

bahaha yeah.
I mean, I understand that keiiii is hard to please.

Also tbh I think it's also the prizes that are scaring people, and the lack of a formal end date.

luckily I'm not an artist who often uses references LOL gonk

@ichi

actually, on one of the earliest versions of this, the arm was kind of like that, and teh other hand was palm down, clutchng the sheets
but for the character that's kind of an impossible pose, cause her arm is like horrifically mutated and attached to the room. DD; Plus I kind of wanted to shocase the ugly mutated arm, even though it's not actually painted in yet LOL

I had some mad internal debates with the other hand and part of the reason it's so small is cause i drew it in last moment as a place holder xD
it's palm up because I figured it looks more limp and powerless, than actively clutching the sheets.

blaghg i hate legs. I thought the shins were too long, but i figured that was just me staring too long. I'm probably gonna lower the knees, then. The other thing is that she's supposed to be super skinny, so I'm having a hard time deciding what's an illusion and what's actually way too long/short DD;  

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

Eudaemon

Unbeatable Visionary

10,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:49 pm
Shiver`
Eudaemon

User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Wait, that picture was submitted to the Halo contest and Keiiii said that?
*is confused*

No!

A girl that wanted to enter the contest asked about the "heavy referencing" rule.
Here's the conversation on DA: [x]
(I misunderstood. I thought that was the girl's art, but it's another DA artist's art...STILL.). Look at the most recent comments, specifically the ones from December 5th.

I take "lack of cohesiveness" as a bullshitty way of saying "it sucks because you used a reference". Reitheneko has a very good point in that almost all of the art you see in professional materials has been referenced in some way.

I don't get the weird arrogance in the art community about references.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:09 pm
Eudaemon
No!

A girl that wanted to enter the contest asked about the "heavy referencing" rule.
Here's the conversation on DA: [x]
(I misunderstood. I thought that was the girl's art, but it's another DA artist's art...STILL.). Look at the most recent comments, specifically the ones from December 5th.

I take "lack of cohesiveness" as a bullshitty way of saying "it sucks because you used a reference". Reitheneko has a very good point in that almost all of the art you see in professional materials has been referenced in some way.

I don't get the weird arrogance in the art community about references.
i don't think it's a problem of arrogance.

references are definitely awesome to use and have their own merit, but I also feel like the example posted was an example of some hardcore referencing. haaardcore. o__o or maybe I have an oddly tightass view on referencing?

I mean, on one hand, referencing is awesome and not using any references is straight up stupid. on the other, I've nearly been beat on several occasions in contests where people have done eyeball/paintover type deals and it feels like total s**t sweatdrop

another thing is, keiiii never said that painting straight up sucks. in fact she almost sorta praised it for the composition o__o
She just said that she isn't able to judge the person's anatomy skills, or their understand of lighting, as well as if the person had done it from scratch.

and tbh the lighting of that painting is madly off xD  

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

Voat

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:21 pm
just wanted to pop in to say:

*drools*