Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
Bible Translations Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jedediah Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:47 am
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

The priceless gem of Christianity, the Word of God. As you may knowest in todays generation, there are many Bible translations available, which is a great blessing. Since there are many translations of the Bible but which one is true and accurate? The truth is there is no perfect English translation since many translations have their own weaknesses but the message is still perfect. We should all have many Bible translations because it can show us what the word of God is saying through many words.

Now, you may know that there are different structures in each and every English translation. This is quite normal because every translation was meant to have different translating strategies.

Example: The New American Standard Version (NASB) purpose is to present a literal word-for-word translation of the Greek and Hebrew manuscripts. The New International Version (NIV) purpose is to present a thought-for-thought translation for readers to easily understand the context of the Bible.

I have done quite a bit of homework on this topic and its an important topic. I founded that the New American Standard Bible to be great for Bible study because it has a strong literal wording of the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. I also suggest English Standard Version and New King James Version to be great for Bible study too. For easily understanding of the Bible, I suggest Holman Christian Standard Bible, New International Version and Amplified Bible. (For Catholics, I suggest New American Bible.)

Sadly, there are many debates about Bible translations within a church or denomination. Few Protestant fundamentals hold only to the King James Version (KJV) because they believe that King James translation is the only word of God. They will state that any other translation besides the King James Version is "New Age" and devilish. This is commonly called "King James Onlyism" and I would strongly call this teaching a heresy.

There are a few English translations that many of you must avoid because cultist have translated and edited Bible to fit their heresy beliefs. Mormons have their own translation, which is called Mormon Bible, Joseph Smith Translation, or Inspired Version. As for the Jehovah's Witnesses, they created their own translation called New World Translation. There are a few more out there but I cannot remember. sweatdrop I suggest using common translations, which are known by many scholars and churches.

So the question I ask you is, which Bible translation you use? If you have any questions about English translations, please feel free to reply!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:14 am
I have three different Bibles, one of which is a Catholic study Bible. The other one is the Extreme Teen Bible (which was the first Bible I ever owned) and I'm not sure what translation that is. Then I have another one that Chris got me for Christmas, which is ... can't remember. I had it just a second ago. sweatdrop Oh well. xd

But yeah, I have three Bibles that are all different translations..

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

immanuelkant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:10 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
I have three different Bibles, one of which is a Catholic study Bible. The other one is the Extreme Teen Bible (which was the first Bible I ever owned) and I'm not sure what translation that is. Then I have another one that Chris got me for Christmas, which is ... can't remember. I had it just a second ago. sweatdrop Oh well. xd

Your Catholic Study Bible is probably the New American Bible, because that is the standard for American Catholic Bibles. Your Extreme Teen Bible is probably NIV because Zondervan makes a lot of Teen geared Bibles. And the Bible I gave you is ESV.

I myself have many different versions and use them all for different purposes. NIV Study Bible for precise passage reference and the large concordance of terms in the back. ESV Bible for devotional reading because I find it easier to understand in a literal sense. The Message Bible because sometimes I just want to get a general outlook of the story of the Bible instead of a literal translation. KJV Compact Bible for referencing to this translation and comparing it to newer ones. NLT (New Living Translation) for a more precise paraphrase and because my church at home primarily uses this translation. HCS (Holman Christian Standard) because I got it for free and it's along the same lines as the ESV for me. I also have a CEV (Contemporary English Version) New Testament that I got from Youth Group and I think it's good to get younger kids started in the word, but not as a reference for doctrine.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:56 pm
To answer your question , i use KJV Bible.

Yeah i understnad about the churches holding a certain kind of Bibles , the Church near me which hopefully i will go to soon , uses only KJV , but i think KJV is a good Bible anyways , and i never really got any chance to read the other Bibles , i might get one that would be more easier in English to read , does anyone know of a better Bible that has the normal langauge we use today , because i might start to study the Bible while reading it. 3nodding

XxArikaxX

Jedediah Smith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:31 am
XxArikaxX
To answer your question , i use KJV Bible.

Yeah i understnad about the churches holding a certain kind of Bibles , the Church near me which hopefully i will go to soon , uses only KJV , but i think KJV is a good Bible anyways , and i never really got any chance to read the other Bibles , i might get one that would be more easier in English to read , does anyone know of a better Bible that has the normal langauge we use today , because i might start to study the Bible while reading it. 3nodding

For modern English reading, I would highly suggest English Standard Version (ESV) or Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). These both are beautiful translations and they are much accurate than the King James translation.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:41 am
immanuelkant
Fushigi na Butterfly

Your Catholic Study Bible is probably the New American Bible, because that is the standard for American Catholic Bibles. Your Extreme Teen Bible is probably NIV because Zondervan makes a lot of Teen geared Bibles. And the Bible I gave you is ESV.

I myself have many different versions and use them all for different purposes. NIV Study Bible for precise passage reference and the large concordance of terms in the back. ESV Bible for devotional reading because I find it easier to understand in a literal sense. The Message Bible because sometimes I just want to get a general outlook of the story of the Bible instead of a literal translation. KJV Compact Bible for referencing to this translation and comparing it to newer ones. NLT (New Living Translation) for a more precise paraphrase and because my church at home primarily uses this translation. HCS (Holman Christian Standard) because I got it for free and it's along the same lines as the ESV for me. I also have a CEV (Contemporary English Version) New Testament that I got from Youth Group and I think it's good to get younger kids started in the word, but not as a reference for doctrine.

My Catholic Bible is NRSV (New Revised Standard Version) and my Extreme Teen Study Bible is NKJV. You were wrong! xd Haha~ heart  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

immanuelkant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:06 am
Fushigi na Butterfly

My Catholic Bible is NRSV (New Revised Standard Version) and my Extreme Teen Study Bible is NKJV. You were wrong! xd Haha~ heart

That's why I said probably.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:16 pm
Speaking about Bibles , iam looking for study Bible as well , does anyone know of a good one ?  

XxArikaxX

Jedediah Smith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:59 am
XxArikaxX
Speaking about Bibles , iam looking for study Bible as well , does anyone know of a good one ?

The Ryrie Study Bible: New American Standard Bible, I consider this study bible the best on the market. You can take a peek inside the study bible at amazon store, (Click here)  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:47 am
Jedediah Smith
XxArikaxX

The Ryrie Study Bible: New American Standard Bible, I consider this study bible the best on the market. You can take a peek inside the study bible at amazon store, (Click here)

Thanks whee I will try to get it this weekend hopefully.  

XxArikaxX

immanuelkant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:29 am
I personally enjoy the NIV Study Bible. It's got a great concordance, and references to other scriptures passages, and of course it's got details about every passage of scripture in the Bible. I love it.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:28 am
immanuelkant
I personally enjoy the NIV Study Bible. It's got a great concordance, and references to other scriptures passages, and of course it's got details about every passage of scripture in the Bible. I love it.

I used NIV Study Bible before and it lacks commentary details in important passages, which I find frustrating. Its nicely done but I find it to be incomplete in certain areas.  

Jedediah Smith

thejesusfreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:49 pm
Jedediah Smith
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

The priceless gem of Christianity, the Word of God. As you may knowest in todays generation, there are many Bible translations available, which is a great blessing. Since there are many translations of the Bible but which one is true and accurate? The truth is there is no perfect English translation since many translations have their own weaknesses but the message is still perfect. We should all have many Bible translations because it can show us what the word of God is saying through many words.

Now, you may know that there are different structures in each and every English translation. This is quite normal because every translation was meant to have different translating strategies.

Example: The New American Standard Version (NASB) purpose is to present a literal word-for-word translation of the Greek and Hebrew manuscripts. The New International Version (NIV) purpose is to present a thought-for-thought translation for readers to easily understand the context of the Bible.

I have done quite a bit of homework on this topic and its an important topic. I founded that the New American Standard Bible to be great for Bible study because it has a strong literal wording of the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. I also suggest English Standard Version and New King James Version to be great for Bible study too. For easily understanding of the Bible, I suggest Holman Christian Standard Bible, New International Version and Amplified Bible. (For Catholics, I suggest New American Bible.)

Sadly, there are many debates about Bible translations within a church or denomination. Few Protestant fundamentals hold only to the King James Version (KJV) because they believe that King James translation is the only word of God. They will state that any other translation besides the King James Version is "New Age" and devilish. This is commonly called "King James Onlyism" and I would strongly call this teaching a heresy.

There are a few English translations that many of you must avoid because cultist have translated and edited Bible to fit their heresy beliefs. Mormons have their own translation, which is called Mormon Bible, Joseph Smith Translation, or Inspired Version. As for the Jehovah's Witnesses, they created their own translation called New World Translation. There are a few more out there but I cannot remember. sweatdrop I suggest using common translations, which are known by many scholars and churches.

So the question I ask you is, which Bible translation you use? If you have any questions about English translations, please feel free to reply!
Some Bible versions (like The Message Bible) are made to get young teens (such as myself) and adults understand the Bible better.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:18 pm
thejesusfreak
Some Bible versions (like The Message Bible) are made to get young teens (such as myself) and adults understand the Bible better.
I find 'the Message translation' to be an OK version but I don't agree with its translation strategy or structure. However, its good for starters and those who don't understand Jewish theology. I find NLT (New Living Translation) good for younger teens also.  

Jedediah Smith

immanuelkant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:11 pm
Jedediah Smith
thejesusfreak
I find 'the Message translation' to be an OK version but I don't agree with its translation strategy or structure. However, its good for starters and those who don't understand Jewish theology. I find NLT (New Living Translation) good for younger teens also.

The Message and NLT are paraphrases, so of course they aren't going to be solid grounds for doctrine and Bible study. I just use them for morning devotions because sometimes (when I already know the technical application) I just want to read it in plain language. I would not recommend the NLT or Message as a Bible for doctrinal purposes.  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff