Submit

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:38 am
I am a perfectionists. As such one would expect me to take such an approach with really expensive plastic army men. So what I do is I undercoat and paint each individual part of my mini before I assemble it.

I was just wondering if any one else did this or shares my perfectionist ways.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:18 pm
I did at one point, but it's just too much hassle, and I tend to accidentally apply too much paint if I do it that way. Have you tried spraying the whole sprue instead of the individual pieces? That tends to come out more even, the downside being that the connecting pieces and the mold lines (if you shave off the mold lines) won't be based.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:25 pm
DarkElf27
I did at one point, but it's just too much hassle, and I tend to accidentally apply too much paint if I do it that way. Have you tried spraying the whole sprue instead of the individual pieces? That tends to come out more even, the downside being that the connecting pieces and the mold lines (if you shave off the mold lines) won't be based.
I do that, depending on the peice and what effect Im going for. Like orks look better with thisk paint lines on the metal. Looks rusty then painted over if you do it right. But I dont play green skins lol.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:27 pm
Well it really depends on what you're doing it with then. I'm working on primarily Eldar, and they have much smaller pieces than most infantry, so it's a real pain to do them individually.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:45 pm
DarkElf27
Well it really depends on what you're doing it with then. I'm working on primarily Eldar, and they have much smaller pieces than most infantry, so it's a real pain to do them individually.
I bet! I think the Nids would be the worst. Not only are alot of them small theres also a ton of them. A friend of mine had a 500 pt nid army and it took him a month to paint them.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 pm
Heh, I won't tell you how long it typically takes me to paint things. sweatdrop My biggest roadblock with the hobby is being too much of a perfectionist. It slows me down, and means I never get done with projects because my standards are too high.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:41 pm
DarkElf27
Heh, I won't tell you how long it typically takes me to paint things. sweatdrop My biggest roadblock with the hobby is being too much of a perfectionist. It slows me down, and means I never get done with projects because my standards are too high.
We are profectionist battle brothers....  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:14 pm
Well, I usually take only the pieces off that I need for a single guy and spend a couple of hours cleaning and assembling, to make him/it perfect. Then I base-paint after basing them. It makes painting them much easier and the pieces don't look off due to being painted at different times.  

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:45 pm
Well my biggest pet peeve (and thus slowing factor) is mold lines. I do my best to trim them all down with an Xacto knife before I even start gluing together.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:11 pm
DarkElf27
Well my biggest pet peeve (and thus slowing factor) is mold lines. I do my best to trim them all down with an Xacto knife before I even start gluing together.
I know! On most marine modles its not to bad But I can only imagine for other armies like nids!  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:13 pm
Orkronos
DarkElf27
I know! On most marine modles its not to bad But I can only imagine for other armies like nids!
Yup, any time it's on a rounded surface, it sticks out like a sore thumb, and it interferes with drybrushing and inks.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:19 pm
DarkElf27
Orkronos
DarkElf27
Yup, any time it's on a rounded surface, it sticks out like a sore thumb, and it interferes with drybrushing and inks.
*thinks about the rib cage on 90% of nid modles*....*Shivers*  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:56 pm
DarkElf27
Yep, partly why I spend a few hours on them. Other than positioning of arms, they're the only real problem I have. confused  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:10 pm
I don't really paint too much because I always think of something to build, and then go assemble and craft it rather than painting.  

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:15 pm
notmuch_23
I don't really paint too much because I always think of something to build, and then go assemble and craft it rather than painting.
I used to be that way, but then you get that itch to see the completed result, ya know?  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff