Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]
Care of Magical Creatures - Lesson Posted(see announcements) Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

House Head Count!
Gryffindor!
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Hufflepuff!
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Ravenclaw!
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Slytherin!
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:51 pm
User Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:53 pm
User Image

❀(Unless otherwise specified in the instructions at the top of the homework)
    Each assignment will be PMed directly to
    me typed in your house colors and with your name and year at the top of the PM. Also the subject heading for your assignments must follow this format:

CoMC _>either homework or extra credit<_: Lesson _>insert lesson number<_

❧Failure to use the correct subject heading in your PM will loose you 2 house points for each offense, no warnings. (I teach two classes, this is very important)
        ❧Failure to use only your house colors within your homework will lose you 5 house points for each offense, no warnings.

❀Each lesson's homework is worth 10 house points.
    ❀Each extra credit assignment is worth 5 house points.
    ❀I know I said that I would let students take lessons from years below their own, but since this year is a bit wonky, I don't really feel comfortable offering this option this term. It will definitely be available by next them, I assure you.

2/15

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:57 pm

Coming Soon!
heart

3/15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Coming Soon!
heart

Students

4/15

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:03 pm
User Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:05 pm
User Image

6/15

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:08 pm
User Image
User Image

-Lesson One-
User Image

What is a Beast?

-----The meaning of the word "beast" has been widely argued for centuries. Frankly, it is difficult to tell where the line is between a "being"- that is to say, a creature worthy of legal rights and a voice in the government of the magical world- and a "beast." For Example:

There are creatures who are not at all human-like, but can certainly think for themselves, communicate to the wizarding world, and have intelligence as high, if not higher than that of the wizarding community. Such creatures include centaurs, mere people, unicorns, and more.

Then there are creatures that look like humans, such as giants or trolls. However, these creatures, according to the ministry of magic, are not capable of human speech or competent thought.

Finally, there are those like werewolves. They spend over three quarters of their time living among wizards, but spend one quarter as a rabid and dangerous beast.

-----Who deserve rights and who doesn't? Who is considered a "beast" and who is considered a "creature"?

Early Attempts to Distinguish Creature from Beast

-----Early attempts to categorize creatures were extremely crude. In the fourteenth century, the Wizards’ Council (which preceded the Ministry of Magic) decreed that any member of the magical community that walked on two legs would henceforth be granted the status of “being,” all others to remain “beasts.” In a spirit of friendship, all “beings” were summoned to meet with the wizards at a summit to discuss new magical laws. It was a disaster. The meeting hall was crammed with goblins who had brought with them as many two-legged creatures as they could find. Among which were squawking Diricawls, moaning Augureys, screaming Fwoopers, pesky pixies, giggling fairies, barbaric trolls, children-eating hags, and Porlocks (of whose dung the Chief of the Council stepped in.) Thus, the mere possession of two legs was no guarantee that a magical creature could or would take an interest in the affairs of the wizard government.
-----Years later, there was a fresh attempt to redefine “beings.” They were then declared to be those who could speak human tongue. All those who could make themselves understood to Council members were therefore invited to join the next meeting. Once again, there were many problems. There were trolls again, who had been taught a few simple sentences by goblins, Jarveys (tearing at as many ankles as they could reach,) a large delegation of ghosts (who left in disgust at the council’s unashamed emphasis of the needs of the living as opposed to the wishes of the dead,) and the centaurs refused to come at all, in protest to the exclusion of Merpeople (who could speak only Mermish while above water.)

Current Definition of a Beast and It’s Flaws

-----It was not until 1811, that a definition was found that most of the magical community found acceptable. The newly appointed Minister of Magic decreed that a “being” was “any creature that has sufficient intelligence to understand the laws of magical community and to bear part of the responsibility in shaping those laws.”
-----Troll representatives were questioned in the absence of goblins and were deemed to be “beasts,” despite their possession of two legs. Merpeople, with the help of translators, were finally invited to “being” status for the first time ever. Finally, animals that bare humanoid appearances (like fairies, pixies and gnomes) but were plainly incapable of recognizing or following a set of laws, were place firmly in the “beast” category.
-----The exception to the law is ghosts. They thought it was highly insensitive to class them as “beings” when they were clearly “has-beens.” So, the Minister of Magic created a separate division for them which still exists today. There are three divisions of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures: the Beast Division, the Being Division, and the Spirit Division.
-----Obviously, that decree was not the end of the disputes. There have always been extremists who would like to cast Muggles into the “Beast” department. While there are the centaurs, who refuse to be in the “being” division because of an objection to being classified along side with creatures like hags and vampires; they requested to remain separate from the ministry, but the ministry insisted on giving them a department in the Beast Division of the Department, although it has never been used. The merpeople made the same request soon afterward. Then, the werewolves have been shunted back and forth between departments and there are many creatures who were perfectly capable of speech and understanding of laws but were considered “beasts” because they could not overcome their own brutal natures (like Acromantulas, Manticores, and the sphinx.)
-----Next lesson, we will take a look at some of these creatures and discuss whether we agree or disagree with the current definition of “being.”

The Homework
-Lesson One-
To be PMed to me.
(see the rules post for more info)

1. Describe the first two definitions of ‘being’. Please includes the faults with each of these attempts. (four points)
2. 3. What is the exception to the currently accepted definition of ‘beings’? (two points)
4. Which group was first to refuse ‘being’ status? Why did they make this choice? What group of newly accepted beings followed this example? (two points)
5. Give another argument about the current definition of a ‘being’? (two points)

The Extra Credit
Discussion!
For the extra credit,
I want you to post this answer, and this answer only,
in the classroom thread.

5 house points for your initial answer
and an additional point for each valid contribution you make to the conversation after that.
(meaning at least two sentences)

Try to justify the ideas behind some of the very first attempts to distinguish “being” from “beast”?
What is your opinion of the currently accepted stand on defining a “being” and the problems with it so far?

7/15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:10 pm
User ImageUser Image

8/15

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:13 pm
User ImageUser Image

9/15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:15 pm
User Image
User Image

10/15

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:16 pm
User Image
User Image

11/15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:19 pm
User Image
User Image

12/15

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:20 pm
User ImageUser Image

13/15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:22 pm
User Image

14/15

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200

Hope Maxime Hagrid

Friendly Enabler

6,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:24 pm
User Image

On 9.1.11, at 3:38pm (PST),Hope Maxime Hagrid
Care of Magical Creatures

Obviously, I have not finished setting up the classroom. I'm trying to go though my father's lesson plans and papers. If you've ever heard him try to read, out loud, something like Shakespeare, then you can probably imagine how bad his handwriting must be. I'll get it all sorted out just as soon as I can. In the meantime, however, I encourage anyone interested in signing up for the class to register here. Be sure to do it by September 18th, because the term begins the next day and I won't be adding anyone to the roster past that day. Also, as always, please post in your house colors.

To register, fill out and post the following:
((Note razz lease do not post in document style, as I will being doing that to make my posts stand out for your convenience.))

The Register Form
RP name:
House:
Year:

On 9.1.11, at 3:58pm (PST), Hope Maxime Hagrid
Thank you for registering!
I'll add you to the list just as soon as I get the classroom set up properly.

Yukina101
((I honestly hope I'm allowed to take this class...))

Well, dad said to only teach the third-years and up. But I'm only a second-year and that would be rather hypocritical of me, wouldn't it? So I've decided to teach any student who desires learn about magical creatures. The first and second years wont get school credit, of course, but they will certainly still get house points (which, most students agree, are all that really matter anyway).

On 9.2.11, at 3:25pm (PST), Hope Maxime Hagrid
Thank you Nekko, Aya, and Clover for registering!
I will add you, as I informed Chanell, as soon as I get the classroom more organized.
3nodding

On 9.9.11, at 3:31pm (PST), Hope Maxime Hagrid
Hmm... I sort of like how I did my gradebook...
Would anyone be especially opposed to me using images for all the posts on the first page?
(meaning the lessons and such)
Obviously, I'll be sure to try to keep the number of images to a minimum,
so you aren't spending half an hour waiting for images to show up.
...But, like I said, I like the look of what I did with my gradebook post...

On 9.11.11, at 4:23pm (PST), Hope Maxime Hagrid
I'm thinking I want to make a header and write an intro for each year's set of lessons. I think I'll make that like I did my grade book. Then I'll probably type out each individual lesson regularly, plus the images I dig up of whichever creature(s) are being discussed within the lesson. That way it isn't a complete mass of image madness... 3nodding

Oh, also all students should take note:

Don't really take too much stock into the lists of creatures listed under each class's course name. I'm still in the process of figuring out which creatures I do and don't want to cover in this class as well as when I want to cover them. I've been working hard, in my spare time, going through my magical creature books to figure out what I think would fall under each category. That doesn't necessarily mean I'll be covering all the creatures listed there. It was just easy for me to keep things separate that way.

On 9.19.11, at 4:34pm (PST), Hope Maxime Hagrid
Thank you to all students who have signed up, so far.
If you know anyone else who is interested in taking Care of Magical Creatures classes,
tell them to hurry and sign up today!
Because I won't be admitting students past midnight, tonight (Pacific Standard Time).

On 9.19.11, at 1:17am (PST), Hope Maxime Hagrid
Alright, so, I waited an extra hour to cut off enrollment, just in case.
Unfortunately, I have not finished writing all of the lessons yet,
and I don't want to post one, if I don't have all of them, you know?
This is further exasperated by the fact that I have my own homework to work on and I'm sick with a head-cold.
sweatdrop
I wish I could say that I can have all the lessons up by tomorrow, but it's much more likely that I'll have them up by midnight on Wednesday.
I apologize most sincerely for any problems this might cause anyone.

In the mean-time,
let's get some conversation going, shall we?
I'll do this by giving you an extra credit assignment!
I'll give 1 extra credit point for each question answered.
Remember, for this assignment only, to post your answers here.
Credit will not be given to PM's.

Extra Credit Assignment
Post Here In This Thread:
1. Your Magical pet, if you have one. (you may include his name or background if you like)
2. Your favorite Magical animal and why it's your favorite.
3. ((this one's a bit more of randomness just for me))What is your favorite Gaia item that you own? If there an item you don't own that you want more than any other? What is it?

On 9.21.11, at 12:53pm (PST), Hope Maxime Hagrid
Thank you all very much for your extra credit. Unfortunately, I've had way too much homework to finish all my lessons. But I'm planning to spend most of tomorrow and all of Friday working on them. So I should have them up by Friday night. Also, because almost half of all the students we have enrolled posted their extra credit work after only 3 days, I'm going to give all 11 of you a single bonus point, just because you guys came through on your end and I failed to come in on mine. 3nodding

Also, feel free to continue posting the extra credit assignment, if you have not done so, already. If you have, don't hesitate to comment on your fellow classmate's responses. biggrin

On 9.27.11, at 7:11pm (PST), Hope Maxime Hagrid
gonk

Alright, so, the fates apparently are hell-bent on not letting me finish my lessons in any sort of reasonable time. I'm forced to fall back on my old lessons from the first time I taught this class (about five years ago).

crying crying crying

This stuff is mostly what is going to turn into the first year's curriculum, so I'm just going to post the lessons there. I'm going to leave the other year's post's up, however, to help my figure out what, exactly, I need to do before next term to be able to have a proper term ready for you guys. I set up the welcome letters and what-not, so if you're curious about what's to come next term, feel free to look-y-loo. wink

But take note that I'm only posting lessons in the First-Year's post and these lessons are meant for all students.

Sorry for all the inconvenience.

15/15

On 9.27.11, at 7:32pm (PST), Hope Maxime Hagrid
Lesson posted!

I'll return tomorrow to take inventory of the last of the extra credit that I handed out last week.

Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff