Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:29 pm
I will be posting my review of each short story as I read them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:40 pm
Rules of Engagement- Possible Spoilers

Overall I give this story 7.5/10

The reason I gave it 7.5 out of ten was due to the fact it told us about one of the greatest tomes in the Imperium, and more specifically, created the Space Marine Chapters we have today. It also hinted on the Primarch been rather naughty in regards to building a second Imperium, which is the first I had heard about it, except from a well done fan-fiction time line of what happens when the Emperor dies. What let the book down was the end really, the Sons of Horus part. It didn't give the feel of Macragge nearly being destroyed by Horus's Legion, it didn't give the feel that Robby Boy saved the day. The ending is rather lack-luster, although the bulk of the story is rather interesting.

Expect Liar's Due possibly tomorrow.  

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:47 pm
Liar's Due- Possible Spoilers

Overall I give this story 6/10

One word to describe this story. Meh. It's just Meh.
I mean, it's insightful as to how the Alpha Legion, and Horus worked, spreading fear and confusion among the retarded farming communities, but aside from that, it's rather... dull really. Maybe that's just me wanting Primarch's and such, but I don't think the characters were portrayed well enough at all. I know it's a short story, but the Ultramarine's Captain second in command, from Rules of Engagement had more personality than the main character in this story.

Next up is Forgotten Sons.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:40 am
The book is that bad you bugged out at the second story?  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:26 am
Haha no, I'm gonna write out the next couple of reviews in a few hours or so, they don't really seem anything special honestly.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:21 pm
Forgotten Sons- Possible Spoilers

Overall I give this story 6.5/10

Basically the story is about a Ultramarine and Salamander who have been left behind to to various reasons, in order to argue with an iterator of Horus, where the Imperium and the rebels would each make a statement, and this planet would decide what side it would take. It's also worth mentioning the Iron Warriors ruled it previously. Any way, it's rather boring until something happens with a lyracmole assassin, or has that name, and is basically a creature which can turn into what ever it has taken biological matter of. To cut it short, it's a boring story with several interesting points in certain bits, but the majority of those I guessed what was going to happen. The end was frankly pathetic honestly.  

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:34 pm
The Last Remembrancer- Possible Spoilers

Overall I give this story 8/10

For the length of it, it's actually a rather good read.
It gives quite a good insight into Dorn, and what happens to Qruze after he makes it to Terra, and possibly takes the role of a Gray Knight, I'll leave you to speculate on that. Any ways, the info in the story is quite helpful and relevant on explaining one of Saturn's certain moons... Another thing is how much of an equal Qruze seems to the Primarch, maybe filling the role of Head of the Inquisitor/Ordo Malleus? Regardless to speculation, The Last Remembrancer is probably the best so far, taking it's length into account.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:39 pm
Rebirth- Possible Spoilers

Overall I give this story 7.5/10

I gave this read above average because of many quite surprising plot twists in it, not to mention a rather lovable and friendly character of our own Warhammer 40k universe making a odd appearance. The thing which lets this book down is the original question still not answered through the entire story. Why is this guy on the planet in the first place? Aside from that quite big chunk missing, it is both interesting, with a mysterious ending, and has the sprinkling, and I mean a sprinkling of combat in it, not the type you would expect from the combatants involved honestly. I also think the Legions could have their personal traits used more, but apart from that, a good read.  

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 pm
Expect The Face of Treachery tomorrow- A Raven Guard story!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:12 am
I should point out that the Raven Guard story directly ties into the Raven's Flight audio novel. Other than that, one of the better story endings you'll find in this anthology.

As for rebirth (highlight to read): Blood Ravens  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:26 pm
The Rebirth ending, please explain Mr Mac.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:59 am
Corvidae is the latin name for the group of birds including crows, rooks, magpies and ravens.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:19 pm
Any idea where the beginning of the BR's name comes from?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:35 pm
Chaos did it. ninja

Also, I AM ALPHARIUS.  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100