Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Valve Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is dedicated to the Valve Corporation. Makers of Half Life. 

Tags: Valve, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Counter Strike, Left 4 Dead 

Reply Off Topic Discussions
Terraria Server Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Terraria Server?!
YEAH!
66%
 66%  [ 12 ]
NOPE!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
MEINKRAFT!
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

H y p n o t i c Fox
Captain

5,550 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:40 pm
Is anyone interested in a Terraria server?

I understand this a Valve Guild, so I bet you're asking why we don't have any Valve game servers like Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead. The answer is that we need money to rent a server. I also don't have a computer that can run a server 24/7, so we're forced to rent (unless someone will provide one for us...)

Making a Terraria server is easy, simple, and... FREE! (Same goes for Minecraft).
I want to start with Terraria because it's supposedly the new hip thing in indie games these days.

If we did start a Terraria server, everyone who joins needs to start FRESH. Meaning you have no armor, weapons, or any items other than the starter items.

Tha Wolf Mane
had an interesting idea... which he will have posted in the next post.

Anyone interested?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:41 pm
Terraria Roleplay Challenge

Alright so the idea is that you choose a class and a profession (like a standard rpg game). Ranger, Gunslinger, Warrior, Knight, Magician, Demoman, or pure crafter will be the classes. Professions will be alchemy, blacksmith, miner, lumberjack, astronomer, builder, summoner, and any others i can think of.
The whole time you must stay in character!

The challenge is that you only stick to your class setup and profession. Meaning if you are a Magician you must stick with things that use mana (but you will be allowed to 1 low tier bow or sword as a backup). Only alchemists can make potions and only blacksmiths can make armor and weapons.
Pure crafters will be allowed to ALL professions, but will be extremely limited on combat.

Some professions are gonna be allowed to everyone who wants them, even if you already have one (they are mining, lumberjack, and builder).
I will post the class and profession setups later.

Volzashi
Vice Captain

Romantic Sex Symbol

Xennified

Friendly Friend

9,750 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:18 pm
I'm interested, I'll make a character when I know it's going to be up.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:01 pm
Tha Wolf Mane
Terraria Roleplay Challenge

Alright so the idea is that you choose a class and a profession (like a standard rpg game). Ranger, Gunslinger, Warrior, Knight, Magician, Demoman, or pure crafter will be the classes. Professions will be alchemy, blacksmith, miner, lumberjack, astronomer, builder, summoner, and any others i can think of.
The whole time you must stay in character!

The challenge is that you only stick to your class setup and profession. Meaning if you are a Magician you must stick with things that use mana (but you will be allowed to 1 low tier bow or sword as a backup). Only alchemists can make potions and only blacksmiths can make armor and weapons.
Pure crafters will be allowed to ALL professions, but will be extremely limited on combat.

Some professions are gonna be allowed to everyone who wants them, even if you already have one (they are mining, lumberjack, and builder).
I will post the class and profession setups later.

If anyone has any anything to add, maybe some suggestions or flaws, go ahead and tell us what you think.

Or if you would just rather have no restrictions and forget the Challenge, say so!

H y p n o t i c Fox
Captain

5,550 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Novasurge
Vice Captain

Versatile Man-Lover

8,850 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:07 pm
I'm 100% for this as I'm very into role playing myself. To make it simple, a list of members, their class and their profession. If we do this, we should also have a very brief back-story for us all being there and what we hope to accomplish. Other than that, I think that this would be an amazing challenge and hope that it will be so.

One general question: Is this going to be a paid for hosted server or just ran on a person's computer? Just asking because if it's on someone's computer it won't always be up, and that'd be... bothersome. But then again I have NO idea if you can even get an "up all the time" paid server for this game anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:11 pm
Novasurge
But then again I have NO idea if you can even get an "up all the time" paid server for this game anyway.

There isn't. razz

H y p n o t i c Fox
Captain

5,550 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Xennified

Friendly Friend

9,750 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:29 pm
I'm not a great roleplayer, but I'm still interested. Maybe I'll get better with this? Iunno.

Whatever class I am, I'd like to use the boomerang (And hopefully the Flamarang/Sunfury at some point).
Will we be allowing NPCs, or having it totally player-based?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:33 pm
Ghost Pancakes
I'm not a great roleplayer, but I'm still interested. Maybe I'll get better with this? Iunno.

Whatever class I am, I'd like to use the boomerang (And hopefully the Flamarang/Sunfury at some point).

I'm glad we have one member interested in this idea (who isn't a moderator).

H y p n o t i c Fox
Captain

5,550 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Volzashi
Vice Captain

Romantic Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:35 pm
Class Setups

Warrior
Weapons - All swords
Armor - Basics (silver, copper, iron, gold), Shadow, cobalt
Backups - 1 bow, gun, or basic boomerang. No molten bow, phoenix blaster, space gun.

Ranger
Weapons - All bows and any boomerangs
Armor - Basics, necro
Backup - 1 shortsword

Gunslinger

Weapons - All guns
Armor - same as ranger
Backup - same as ranger

Magician
Weapons - Any weapon that uses mana (including space gun and starfury)
Armor - Basics, Meteor, Cobalt
Backup - 1 bow or sword (basic)

Demoman

Weapon - Bombs, dynamite, grenades
Armor - Basics, necro
Backup - Sword (basic) AND Basic boomerang

Knight
Weapons - All swords and Flails
Armor - Basics, Shadow, Molten
Backup - Bow (Basics, no molten)

Pure Crafter
Weapons - Basic Boomerang, swords (basics), bow (basics), gun (musket, flintlock, or handgun)
Armor - Basics, Necro

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:43 pm
I feel like the weapons for Warrior and Knight should be switched so that Warrior gets all flails and Knight doesn't. It just seems to make more sense to me.

A Pure Crafter would make all potions, ore blocks, armor, weapons, etc., right? But EVERYONE can build?

I... feel like there should be a Constructor. Make buildings, sell them to people, and let them customize them. Since it only makes sense that there would be someone to specialize in that in real life and not everyone would be able to build everything.

But that brings me to another point; different teams. These teams would get a certain area of the map and would create their own town. They would maybe have a leader and have certain positions for an army? Making proper use of the different colored team options would seem appropriate here, as we could then form alliances and such that way and wage war. Also, it'd make it so easy to set up towns that way.

Novasurge
Vice Captain

Versatile Man-Lover

8,850 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

Volzashi
Vice Captain

Romantic Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:03 pm
Novasurge
I feel like the weapons for Warrior and Knight should be switched so that Warrior gets all flails and Knight doesn't. It just seems to make more sense to me.

A Pure Crafter would make all potions, ore blocks, armor, weapons, etc., right? But EVERYONE can build?

I... feel like there should be a Constructor. Make buildings, sell them to people, and let them customize them. Since it only makes sense that there would be someone to specialize in that in real life and not everyone would be able to build everything.

But that brings me to another point; different teams. These teams would get a certain area of the map and would create their own town. They would maybe have a leader and have certain positions for an army? Making proper use of the different colored team options would seem appropriate here, as we could then form alliances and such that way and wage war. Also, it'd make it so easy to set up towns that way.

I was trying to make knights the main boss fighter class, since the fact they are allowed molten lets them be the main ones to distract bosses while others deal damage. So i gave them flails since they work good against bosses like Skeletron. Plus, I wanted knights to get something special besides just molten armor. But if enough people agree on the switch then I will switch them.

While the constructor idea is nice. It might lead to problems. You can have it as a side profession, but everyone should be allowed to build what they want.
Constructors could focus on NPC houses though. That would work.

Yes, the pure crafters get access to ALL professions. But very limited combat.

The team thing is nice. But would it really work out?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:28 pm
Terraria has taken up hours of my life recently so seeing a server up would be awesome. but having an rpg? that, in my opinion would be retarted because terraria is a sandbox and has an almost endless accessability of powers and weapons.  

Halreach

Colm Cygnat
Crew

6,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:38 pm
I personally like and dislike the roleplay idea. But I don't have terraria, much as I'd like to buy it.

I personally think pulling a hybrid combat class would be neat, or having a freelance would be a good idea. Heck, why not have two se-oh, right. Personally, I'd like to just have a couple people (2-4, maybe up to 6) in a server and just do stuff together, maybe even with ventrilo or something in the background.

But, again, I don't own terraria.  
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:49 am
When I get my paycheck I'll but a copy  

CaptainBaconMan
Vice Captain

H y p n o t i c Fox
Captain

5,550 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:39 pm
We're allowed 8 players max in one server. Here's what we have so far...

People who will join:

H y p n o t i c Fox
Tha Wolf Mane
Novasurge
Ghost Pancakes

People who don't own Terraria but will join:

Colm Cygnat
CaptainBaconMan

People who don't like the idea of the RPG form:

xX_CrAyOn_-_SlAyEr_Xx

Off Topic Discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]