Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Quick Tau posting Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:14 am
Just thought you guys could give some good critique on my Fire Warriors and whatnot. I painted the first squad Bold Gun because the armor looked much better as actual steel, the rest are mixes of different greys, primarily Neutral Grey.

User Image

I experimented with some posing on my own to come up with this FW.

User Image

This is my Commander, all weapons and gear are pinned except for the Air Fragmentation on the left arm.

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:52 pm
I can't help but feel obnoxious in saying it, but you could simply do with neatening up the black patches [Where the boltgun has spread over them a b it]

Other than that, i'd only suggest a few hard highlights and minor ink washes to bring out the forms you've painted in boltgun.  

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:51 pm
Thin your paints a little and that will help, too. Looks like some of the fine detail areas got a little blobby.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:08 pm
Well, keep in mind that i paint well enough to look good on a table, it's still hard as hell with a couple years of experience to paint something to look good this close and on something so damn small.
I'll probably pick the lines out of the Commander to make him look better, but they're still Fire Warriors. I have another two squads to paint...  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:00 am
If you thin your paints with just a drop of water they will look even better, table top quality or not. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:07 pm
Lady Blodwynn
If you thin your paints with just a drop of water they will look even better, table top quality or not. 3nodding
Yeah, but the Fire Warriors are old, some of my first painted and the Commander I used a cheap paint on. The cheap stuff was weird to use because it's thick, but runs if I add any water at all. Plus, it gives it a really good mat finish that I wanted anyways.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:31 am
Oh, so this is a re-paint with a layer underneath? That would explain some of the rough texture.

I definitely agree with what's been said about using a touch of ink with your metal though. I like to use a brighter metallic color and brush over it thinly with ink so it fits into the crevices and gives it contrast.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:55 pm
DarkElf27
Oh, so this is a re-paint with a layer underneath? That would explain some of the rough texture.

I definitely agree with what's been said about using a touch of ink with your metal though. I like to use a brighter metallic color and brush over it thinly with ink so it fits into the crevices and gives it contrast.
Yeah, I've fashioned my own ink by using Chaos Black and watering down the pot with clean water. It's invaluable to have, many projects have been saved by it. Unfortunately, these are some of my very first guys that I've ever painted, so that's why I did a sloppy job. sweatdrop  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:06 pm
On the other hand, the bases, especially on that first one, look very well done. It does wonders for the look of your army if you have consistent good basing on them.

Any new paints on those to post?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:29 pm
DarkElf27
On the other hand, the bases, especially on that first one, look very well done. It does wonders for the look of your army if you have consistent good basing on them.

Definitely:
Chainsword/Flamer combo
Plasma Cutter, should take the turret off of a Leman Russ with no problem
Sniper Drone Spotter made from a Fire Warrior, a piece of sprue and a wifi cable
My two Crisis Suit teams, almost done, just need knee pads on two of them and finish two bases.

I also re-painted my tank, but I kind of forgot to take a picture this morning. sweatdrop  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:24 pm
DarkElf27

I placed my guy in a clear box to see what it looks like. Thoughts? {X}  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:35 pm
DarkElf27

I like it. If anything, I'd darken those crevices in the armor a bit more with black ink (or Chaos Black if you have a real steady hand). I'm looking for something you could detail in a contrasty color, but there really isn't much.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:43 pm
DarkElf27
DarkElf27

I like it. If anything, I'd darken those crevices in the armor a bit more with black ink (or Chaos Black if you have a real steady hand). I'm looking for something you could detail in a contrasty color, but there really isn't much.
I've got the Ink, so I'll definitely do that. I tried to make it look like two Bolt rounds hit the wall, but it doesn't look right to me, and ideas?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:44 pm
DarkElf27
DarkElf27

I've got the Ink, so I'll definitely do that. I tried to make it look like two Bolt rounds hit the wall, but it doesn't look right to me, and ideas?
Got a photo of those bolter marks?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff