Welcome to Gaia! ::

Death Note Forum

Back to Guilds

Death Note Forum - Come join us for Death Note information, graphics, screenshots, quotes, artwork, news, role play, games, fun and prizes! 

Tags: Death Note, Death Note Forum, Death Note Role Play, Death Note Anime, Death Note Fans 

Reply Death Note Discussion
The Japanese Live-Action Movies Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DomaDoma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:33 am
Well, firstly, Ken'ichi Matsuyama is the single best actor ever to play L. And the mask on the college campus still makes me laugh when I think about it. And the scene where the NPA mostly bails after the FBI thing was reminiscent of the evacuation scene in Khartoum, which means it's some epically depressing stuff. And conflating Higuchi and Takada actually worked surprisingly well.

That said, I'm not a fan. The ending is cool on first watch, but then you realize it makes no sense - I mean (highlight for spoilers) how did Light get rid of L's body so that a) L survived and b) Light didn't notice he was alive?? Everyone other than Ken'ichi puts in the cheesiest performance imaginable. And the changes to the plot mostly didn't add a whole lot.

As for the third movie... not even Ken'ichi can save it. In between the hilarious three-minute death scene, the dumb, dumb villains, the wacky action sequences, and the plague that should by rights have overwhelmed the planet, there was only one redeeming thing about the whole mess: the toy robot with the wheel that just so happens to come up with the number 47. It's an amazingly subtle nod to canon in an amazingly unsubtle movie.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:10 pm
I actually liked all 3 movies, some of the plot changes in the first 2 kinda upset me but they were understandable.  

G0TH1C G33K

Death Note Forum
Captain

Mega Prophet

9,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:09 pm
DomaDoma

That said, I'm not a fan. The ending is cool on first watch, but then you realize it makes no sense - I mean (highlight for spoilers) how did Light get rid of L's body so that a) L survived and b) Light didn't notice he was alive?? Everyone other than Ken'ichi puts in the cheesiest performance imaginable. And the changes to the plot mostly didn't add a whole lot.

Hm, I could be wrong but wasn't Light trying to frame Rem for Ls death? - so there would be no need to hide the body ... I guess he just left L lying there until the rest of the task force got there. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:50 am
Death Note Forum
DomaDoma

Hm, I could be wrong but wasn't Light trying to frame Rem for Ls death? - so there would be no need to hide the body ... I guess he just left L lying there until the rest of the task force got there. xd

But wasn't it, like, a full week? My memory is fuzzy, though, feel free to correct me.  

DomaDoma

The Cake Tyrant

6,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:40 am
Ken' ichi was probably why I kept watching, I have all the live action movies though, call me totally obsessed!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:25 pm
I enjoyed all 3 movies ... but none were as good as the anime.

I don't think any movie will ever live up to the anime.  

ceeloomean

Coniglietto

Generous Fairy

12,700 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:34 am
DomaDoma
Well, firstly, Ken'ichi Matsuyama is the single best actor ever to play L.

Agreed ... did you hear he got married eek  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:37 am
Well the only live action movie I watched so far was the first one, and I do say it was pretty good. It could have been better, but overall it was really could since it came out of an anime.

Nights of Music

Seeker

DomaDoma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:24 am
Dang, my memory's been hazy, as I forgot the single biggest plot hole with the second movie is that Misa was never in any real danger; hence, Rem should have survived.

Anyway, I just read the novelization of L: Change the World. It's actually pretty good. Still got nothing on the manga/anime, of course, but unlike the movie, it makes some attempt to be smart. (And mercifully abbreviates that death scene.) It's not really in any canon, movie canon included - given that Another Note is part of official canon, I guess we could call it the first-ever Ryuzakian pastiche.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:33 am
Should of had cameos from Maximum the Hormone members.  

0MythWriter0

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

AlmostRulingTheWorld
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:40 pm
0MythWriter0
Should of had cameos from Maximum the Hormone members.

That would have been awesome! I love them xD  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:51 am
I heard that America is making a verson of it and casting Zack Efron as Light! this can't be true can it?  

The Cake Tyrant

6,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200

AlmostRulingTheWorld
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:39 pm
The Cake Tyrant
I heard that America is making a verson of it and casting Zack Efron as Light! this can't be true can it?

I think there was a thread somewhere around hear that addressed this xd But yes, it's true that id America made a live Death Note movie Zac Efron would most likely be a candidate for Light. Nothing is official yet, though.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:21 am
If they DARE to make that Efron guy a character in Death Note, SOMEBODY is going to die. scream
And NO ONE can replace Ken'ichi Matsuyama. heart  

Lilith466

SoulDawnElite

Partying Member

2,875 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:18 pm
The movies were not as good as the anime. But movies were ok.  
Death Note Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff