Submit

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:45 am
Some of you may have heard of this stuff.. It's been out a few months and has plenty of pretty happy users.

I got me some the other day to see if it's any good and, well..
The title says it all.

So far, my uses have been.. Limited. I copied a maggot-swarm base I made, it turned out perfect.
I got a perfect copy of a Nurgle champion head I otherwise only had one of, and now I'm putting it to use in making some new feet for my dreadnought.
Pictures of that may come tomorrow, when my pieces are set.

For now, this thread is pretty much just a heart  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:28 pm
As long as you keep it to the good comments and not the offering of recasts for other people for money, we're good! wink  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:04 pm
Lady Blodwynn
As long as you keep it to the good comments and not the offering of recasts for other people for money, we're good! wink

Pfff
I can make my own things easily enough to offer to sell that instead! ;D  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:53 pm
XD Yeah, because GW doesn't make enough money off of us.

I'd like to know where I can get some of that stuff, I'd really like to cast the Crisis Suit weapons, I never have enough Missile Pods. confused  

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:57 pm
Would be mighty useful in making back-up pieces in case a conversion doesn't go as planned to be sure. Does this molding stuff only work on metal minis or have you taken a try at copy plastics too?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:59 pm
DarkReaper40k
Would be mighty useful in making back-up pieces in case a conversion doesn't go as planned to be sure. Does this molding stuff only work on metal minis or have you taken a try at copy plastics too?

It doesn't seem to transfer heat. I got a tiny bit of a burn once using it because I didn't shake off the boiling water.. [I put it in a pan over my oven. Was silly to have just grabbed it >.>]

And I did place a big thick wad of it down on a chaos marine torso without any damage.

I'd like to know where I can get some of that stuff, I'd really like to cast the Crisis Suit weapons, I never have enough Missile Pods. confused

wink
I first found it on Ebay

Two part moulds can be a bit tough with this stuff, you need to have a REALLY sharp knife to cut it open, as it kind of bonds to itself.
I am tempted to try a two part mould where I've pre-frozen the ready set half before making the next, to see if they will mix together.  

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200

jeremyu

2,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:02 pm
DarkReaper40k

Or for making more than one conversion.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:07 am
Just remember, kiddos, these models aren't technically GW legal.

Make sure you have them painted before you go into a shop if you use a resin within the casts. People go crazy over it.  

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:36 am
Messyart
DarkReaper40k

It doesn't seem to transfer heat. I got a tiny bit of a burn once using it because I didn't shake off the boiling water.. [I put it in a pan over my oven. Was silly to have just grabbed it >.>]

And I did place a big thick wad of it down on a chaos marine torso without any damage.

wink
I first found it on Ebay

Two part moulds can be a bit tough with this stuff, you need to have a REALLY sharp knife to cut it open, as it kind of bonds to itself.
I am tempted to try a two part mould where I've pre-frozen the ready set half before making the next, to see if they will mix together.
Awesome. Maybe you just need to find some Talc powder to sprinkle on each piece of the mold before putting them together, should help them to separate better.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:17 pm
Messyart
DarkReaper40k

wink
I first found it on Ebay

Awesome. Maybe you just need to find some Talc powder to sprinkle on each piece of the mold before putting them together, should help them to separate better.

I've thought of freezing just because they work more by temprature. I'm not sure how well talc would stop them melting together as such.
The freezing plan, obviously, comes from the idea that if the warmed IM is pushed down over it, the frozen half will set the edges instantlyish enough that they don't get stuck together, but still lets you keep the shape you want.

*Sigh* but lately, a few mental issues have been slowing me. I haven't touched my hobby in like two weeks D:
Stupid break-downs >.<  

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:21 pm
You could always lubricate both parts of the mold with some sort of oil, can't remember which one, but the same most resin casters use. It helps keep the molds crisp a bit longer and reduces damage from extraction.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:50 pm
Messyart
Messyart
DarkReaper40k

wink
I first found it on Ebay

I've thought of freezing just because they work more by temprature. I'm not sure how well talc would stop them melting together as such.
The freezing plan, obviously, comes from the idea that if the warmed IM is pushed down over it, the frozen half will set the edges instantlyish enough that they don't get stuck together, but still lets you keep the shape you want.

*Sigh* but lately, a few mental issues have been slowing me. I haven't touched my hobby in like two weeks D:
Stupid break-downs >.<
I honestly haven't even looked at my Tau since I last posted about tweaking my Railhead. We all have lives, it happens. smile  

Drakeoss Dragoon

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:40 pm
I came across this stuff a few months back and with the help of my friend who has a credit card I got mine from here
http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/tools-and-misc/instant-mold.html

took a bit to get here but its here and I've been using it and its really nice, saving me a ton of time using it to make custum tiled bases for my skaven army needing nearly 200 bases and it taking 45 min to make each base before was well frustrating but this stuff is great now that i cause just use a bit of GS and the two molds I made with it its taking me no time, I recomend it for anyone that has make a little special something for there army and needs lots of it biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:12 am
How sharp are the details on the recast parts? I've read some complaints about the recasts being fuzzy on this.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:29 am
Ooohhh!
I guess i'd better get that, it could be perfect for both making more of my genestealer hybrids, and also other minis that would suit my games, .... heart  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff