Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply It's A Girl Thing!
Gender Stereotypes Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gender stereotypes?
  They're still too common! :( I hate them!
  I guess I still see some every now and then. They're not very nice.
  Yeah, there's some, but they'll pass. :)
  I don't really mind them.
  Bleh, I don't care.
View Results

Amitia

Adventuring Dragon

17,325 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lapin Patrol Kastra: Victory! 250
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:34 am
"Girls can't play videogames", "Women are bad drivers", "All girls use make-up", "Girls love pink"... etc. etc.
There is an endless amount of gender stereotypes, regarding all the possible fields in life where girls could possibly be different from boys.
How have stereotypes affected your life? Which ones do you hear the most? Do you get really annoyed when someone categorizes you by gender, or have you actually noticed that the gender stereotypes hold true in your case?

People say that times have changed. Unlike centuries ago, girls can now go to school, become respectable doctors and lead countries. Finland, Germany and Brazil among others have female presidents! :3 But are there still bad stereotypes that control our lives, no matter what we try to do to break them? Are there places on Earth where the era of gender stereotypes is especially far from being over?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:31 am
`Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,' I said, `art sure no craven.
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the nightly shore -

You forgot that the UK had it's first female prime minister: Margret Thatcher (or was it Britain?)

The most times I've heard stereotypes is from my mom ironically. I say it's ironic because I dunno, aren't mothers supposed to be supportive of their daughters? My mom keeps the whole, oh you're supposed to wear makeup it's girly, or do you want to be a boy? And other hateful sentiments. The problem with makeup is that we don't need to actually wear it, some of us are born with young looking skin, makeup can actually damage that by ageing it more that it looks and by giving more zit. Neither is what we actually want. For me I have fairly young skin and thick eyelashes, both I love and will not ruin for the sake of some braindead simpletons >.>

But really we live in an age where being a girl is more than wearing makeup, loving pink, being crappy drivers and gamers. We have the ability of doing great things.

Also centuries ago depending on where women lived, many actually DID go to school. The only places where women were outlawed were actually America and Europe I believe. Whereas Russia, China, Japan, a few Middle Eastern countries actually did encourage women being educated. Many were already respectable doctors, and many did lead countries already. I mean helllooooo Catherine the Great? Elizabeth I? Queen Victoria?

Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

Amitia

Adventuring Dragon

17,325 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lapin Patrol Kastra: Victory! 250
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:49 am
Ravynne Sidhe

You forgot that the UK had it's first female prime minister: Margret Thatcher (or was it Britain?)

The most times I've heard stereotypes is from my mom ironically. I say it's ironic because I dunno, aren't mothers supposed to be supportive of their daughters? My mom keeps the whole, oh you're supposed to wear makeup it's girly, or do you want to be a boy? And other hateful sentiments. The problem with makeup is that we don't need to actually wear it, some of us are born with young looking skin, makeup can actually damage that by ageing it more that it looks and by giving more zit. Neither is what we actually want. For me I have fairly young skin and thick eyelashes, both I love and will not ruin for the sake of some braindead simpletons >.>

But really we live in an age where being a girl is more than wearing makeup, loving pink, being crappy drivers and gamers. We have the ability of doing great things.

Also centuries ago depending on where women lived, many actually DID go to school. The only places where women were outlawed were actually America and Europe I believe. Whereas Russia, China, Japan, a few Middle Eastern countries actually did encourage women being educated. Many were already respectable doctors, and many did lead countries already. I mean helllooooo Catherine the Great? Elizabeth I? Queen Victoria?

Damn, why do I always word everything wrong? @__@;;
First of all yes, I know, a lot of places have women as leaders now, which is why I said "among others" instead of listing them all. ;3 I actually looked up "female presidents" after posting this, and was happily surprised to find out that there's many more whom I hadn't even heard of.
Plus of course, like you said, some women have already been leaders ages ago. I'm not saying that female leaders have never existed, but that they are still a somewhat uncommon sight (and I mean, when did females finally officially get voting rights? First time 1893 in New Zealand, Europe 1907 (Finland), US legislation officially 1918->ratified 1920). I doubt Middle-East will get their first female leader anytime soon, and in a lot of Asian and African countries females would never get a leader's position. And as advanced as Japan is, the young female's part is rather crappy. Certain expectations keep them chained to traditions, and for example becoming head of an office is simply no option. From this perspective the Western country women have a wonderful position.
I suppose you're right about the schooling though, that's been around for the females for quite a long time in most of the places. o.o

Oh nice, your mom says that? x'D I have a friend whose mom acts similarly. I think she has calmed down lately, but she used to be really upset about her daughter having short hair and using no make-up and refusing to wear feminine clothing. o.o;; She somehow took it as an insult towards her as a mother, even if my friend didn't intend to hurt her feelings, but merely dress the way she felt comfortable with. I'm still trying to understand the logic behind that. @.@

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:50 am
Ravynne Sidhe

they UK is Britain lol X) United Kingdom-Great Britain-Britain, same country hahaha  

the_kill_from_yesterday

Magnetic Player

6,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Wall Street 200

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:53 am
User Image

The next person that tell me that I cant play video games because I have boobs is going to get falcon punched.

My mom hates me playing my games, she says it isn't ladylike.
rolleyes
I refuse to quit.

The fiances family is trying to make me be a housewife because a woman isn't suppose to work.
It's so stupid. =/
If i were to be a housewife I'd kill myself.
It would be so boring.
And I'll be damned if I wait on a man hand and foot.

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:03 am

Actually a young female's part is actually crappy. Many females in Japan are encouraged to be doctors or teachers or some to be powerful executives. And being a housewife isn't all that bad.

Everyone has a role, and while sure husbands shouldn't be lazy and expect the wife to clean up after them. But a women's role is traditionally to raise a child, which is sorta our role because we're the ones who pop the child out.

For me I wouldn't mind being a housewife. In fact I would rather be one than to be a corporate businesswoman because well my mom put her job before me and failed her primary role as a mother which has ******** me up some. I want to fix that and actually be there for my kids and be a loving mother.

My mom didn't want to be a housewife, however really if you don't like being a housewife then don't get married and have kids :s Getting married when you don't like the duties of a housewife is kinda...ironic. ijs.

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

Aularen has quit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:21 pm
I quite disagree with the bad driving one...and all of them, actually. But guys are the ones who get into more accidents, and girls have lower car insurance rates, so it isn't all bad. c: Besides, for proof, my brother is a crappy driver and he's wrecked about three of his cars. It doesn't help that he does stupid stuff to them, like setting them on fire for fun. o_O
But still, I hate being stereotyped just because I'm a girl. One of my pet peeves is when I'm talking about something I want to do, like owning a vacation home in Hawaii (Well, I can dream, can't I? whee ) to my mom and she's all, "Well, you better have a rich husband when you get married," like getting a job is out of the question. She just assumes that I'm going to get married and have kids, and when I say something to her like, "And who says I'm getting married?" she'll give me this smile/smirk like, "Oh, someday, when you're bouncing your fifth child on your knee, you'll see what I mean."
scream scream scream
Yeah, both of my parents can be pretty stereotypical towards females a lot of the time. When my dad does something that's unfair, my mom won't help me out because she says, and I quote, "He is the HEAD of the household!" Garaaarraggagggh.
[/rant] Ahem. Anywho.

TL;DR version: Stereotypes need to die. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:14 pm
I would love to be just a housewife. 3nodding
I was home schooled and lived on a chicken farm my whole life. So I wasn't around anyone telling me some stereotypes.  

D46

2,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Sawahxo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:17 pm
I've always found the 'all women wear make up' one quiet annoying. I've know girls that have pushed me to put make up on, more so in high school. I use to get called ugly if I didn't 'omfg your so ugly. you know you'd be pretty if you wore make up' its silly, and then they claim i'm not being 'part' of the 'female' world... So dear female world that these crazy nut jobs are part of; ******** YOU. -love sawahxo

What is wrong with natural? Whats wrong with loving to be natural? I mean so i don't have beatiful make up, and I don't do smokey eyes, and that crap. Is that really that big of a deal? Because i'm not the same.

Can I not be natural? Why does make up make a girl beautiful? so what, are we ugly when there natural looking? No. I don't like make up. I find it a waste of money, and time. I could be sleeping, Besides that money that I don't use could go to other things, things I find important.

I've never got the thing of 'ever girl can cook/bake' Alright I can cook to a point. The house fills up with smoke, and the pans are usually ruined. But on the bright side what i made comes out perfectly okay. I don't like cooking, I don't like baking. I don't know which i find more annoying. I think its ten times more sexy if a guy can.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:57 pm
Not everything will change overnight, we should just be glad how equal most people consider the two genders to be. We're lucky enough to be in a place like that and I don't care if people say
" 'Girls can't play videogames', 'Women are bad drivers', 'All girls use make-up', 'Girls love pink' " so long as they're not trying to force us to do these things.

Don't like what people say about women? Prove you're different.
Otherwise, ignore it.

Men are just as stereotyped as women so it's not like we, as women, are totally innocent in that area.

Hilfin

Tsukuyomi25021

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:39 pm
I find my mother often tells me "when you have kids..." but that subject never comes up with my brother.
Oh, and she makes me go get stuff for my dad, y'know, because apparently women were meant to serve man (I hated myself for being female at some point)
Its like I'm expected to become a housewife, when I kind of want a real career and I'm on the "Hell no" to children (marriage, maybe, but even then I doubt it).

It is statisticly proven that women are better drivers.

"the man is the head of the household"

I've heard that one too, I mean I believe in God and all but I really doubt it's all women's calling to be a housewife, the bible also says we're equal.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:50 am
It affects me enough to hide my gender, not that I am unhappy being female. ninja

An example would be video games, especally on xbox live. I log in, play matching making, etc, etc. When word is out that I am a chick, almotst all the guys act shock or want me to date them. Sometimes, they tell me I shouldn't be playing video games and when that happens, I exchange them 'friendly' words. But whenever I feel don't want to deal with the drama or feel like goofing off, I say I'm a dude and they believe, which is the funny part. Even on Gaia my avatar is male but that is cause I am bored. Yet, I only do this over the internet. In real life, its different since people can actually see me. But I've been told to make sandwiches here and there.

The point is, it happens and it does get old. No matter what similiarities you have, you're always going to get crictize or judged for something. In this case, it would be female. But sometimes, it best not to stress over the little things.  

Canterellare

Shirtless Strawberry

14,800 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Partygoer 500

flangella

Wheezing Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:45 am
I agree with Idiot Savant on this.
We're lucky to be where we are when it comes to gender equality, and what is the harm, really, in stereotypes when they are not being forced upon you? It's like bulling, I suppose.
America has already had an African American president—which is HUGE considering our country's past—so there is a good chance we'll have a female president in the future. Lord knows women all over the country are going to keep trying.

I've been stereotyped both for my gender and for my mixed racial background ("You're a girl! Stay in the kitchen!" "You're Asian! You must know everything!") but I don't let it bug me.
Everyone else should do the same.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:37 am
HEY, WAAAAAAAIT !! ..

i'm talkin' :

~> I am a big fan of heavy metal ( heart ), and some days ago i was in my class listening to radio, and one of my ( boy ) friends want to see my music list of my phone.
He said: you let me see your music list?
I said: sure - and give him my phone.
Before he see it he say: i bet that is full of Justin Bieber or Hannah Montana ( it´s Hannah or Hanna ? ) ! stare
~> " All girls love Justin Bieber " it´s one of the many stereotypes that i hate -.- it's like that every girls has to be obcessed with him !

NOW, YOU CAN TALK wink

- Nanokax -

Desirable Genius

8,375 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • NPCon Attendee 100
It's A Girl Thing!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash