Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Recipes! Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Astrox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:06 pm
In honour of this new guild, I bring forth the Recipes post!

Vegan Banana Muffin Recipe

Wholewheat flour 1 Cup
Soy Flour 3/4 Cup
Baking Powder 1 Teaspoon
Vegan Brown Sugar 1 cup
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Vanilla Soymilk 3/4 cup
Canola/Soy/Grapeseed Oil 3 tablespoons
Egg Replacer (the equalivalent of 2 eggs)
Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
Bananas 2 (the browner the better!)

OPTIONAL Garnish:
-1 more banana, sliced
-Oats
-Brown Sugar

1. Crank up your oven to 400 F.
2. Grease up your muffin pan.
3. Mix all your dry ingriedents together in a large bowl (Wholewheat flour, Soy flour, Baking powder, Brown Sugar, Salt)
4. In a separate bowl, mix your wet ingredents together (Soy milk, Fake eggs, Oil, Vanilla).
5. Do the mash! The bananna mash! (In a separate bowl or food processor)
6. Dump the banana into the Wet bowl, and mix.
7. Fold the Wet mix into the dry mix and mix until everything is just mixed. Over mixing will result in hockey puck like muffins.
8. Pour or scoop the batter into the greased pan.
9. OPTIONAL: Apply Garnishes (whichever ones you want).
10. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:12 pm
Gah!! You beat me to this post before I got the chance to. ^.~

I have a good recipe in another guild; let me fish it out.  

Ailinea
Vice Captain

Ailinea
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:52 pm
Okie, here it goes:

1/2 block of FIRM tofu
2 eggs (or, for vegans, egg substitute)
2 cups of bean sprouts (more or less, depends on how much you like them)
1/2 can of stewed tomatoes
Basil
Salt & pepper

Remove tofu from package. Slice tofu into semi-thin strips, and then slice again in half. Lightly oil a pan and put on the stove on medium heat. Add tofu. Pan-cook until lightly brown, turning tofu over or stirring around with a spatula or wok-spoon. This may take a while, as tofu tends to take a while to cook. When tofu is almost cooked all the way through (just cut one in half; make sure it's nearly brown all the way through), add salt and pepper, and any other seasoning your prefer.

Add eggs, bean sprouts and tomatoes. Cook and seperate eggs with spatula to get a scrambled-egg type of appearance, and continually stir like you're stir-frying, until tofu is golden brown and sprouts slightly limp. Add basil. Cook for a few more minutes and take off pan. Serve immediately.

It's important to season the tofu and add other exotic flavors, like basil, or seasoning salt if you like because otherwise the tofu is very bland and you'll not want to have it any more. Hope this helps. It makes enough for you to have dinner one night, and have leftovers for lunch the next day. It keeps very well in the fridge.

Something else you can pair with this is steamed broccoli, or a vegetarian-type pasta. It's also very good by itself.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:02 pm
ANIMEOMEGA's SIMPLE SALAD

Mix a salad with:
Primarily baby spinach
Walnuts (plain)
Mandarin oranges
Mozzerella cheese (cut, not pre-shredded) OPTIONAL
Dressing: Small amount of rasberry balsalmic vinagrette

Tis Yummy!  

Hlessirah

Dapper Vegetarian

Astrox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:18 pm
Cool stuff, I'll have to try them both.

A personal favourite.

Beans and Rice (makes enough for 4-6 people)

This recipe is great when you've got left over rice. Using left over or precooked rice saves so much time.

1 Can of Black Beans
1 Cup of cooked brown rice
1 tablespoon of Cajun Spice
1 Chopped Tomato
3/4 Cup of Salsa
1/2 a Red or White Onion (chopped)
2 Mashed Carrots (over cook them, then mash them with a fork)
3 cloves of roasted garlic (350 F, leave garlic "paper" on or wrap tin foil on the garlic, allow it to roast for about 30 minutes)
A pinch of salt

Garnish:
-Cilantro
-Cheese if you're not vegan

Prepare the garlic and the carrots.
Then it gets pretty damn simple, throw everything in a pot over medium temperature.
Apply garnishes as desired.

This recipe also makes a tasty filling for burritos.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:32 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Astrox

Astrox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:15 pm
Vegan "Mac 'N' Cheese"

1/2 cup plain soymilk
1/4 cup water
4 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
1/2 cup of nutritional yeast
2 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teapoon salt
1/4 of a block of firm tofu
1/2 cup of canola/vegetable/grapeseed oil
2 cups macaroni

A deep-ish baking pan and blender are needed as well.

Pre-heat oven to 350 F.

Boil water for the pasta, dump pasta in when water boils.

While the pasta cooks, dump all the other ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth.

Once pasta is cooked, drain it and put it in the baking pan. Then pour the "cheese" sauce over the pasta.

Bake until the top of the pasta looks slightly browned and crispy. This should take about 15 minutes.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:35 pm
Oh man, I have this cooking zine back at my place called "Soy, not Oi!" It has k-rad bitchin' vegan recipes. If I remember to grab it before I get to a computer again, I promise to fill this thread to the tippy-top with delicious recipes.  

Famicommie
Vice Captain

[Matsuko]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:57 pm
Hi peoples! Since I don't exactly make my own food...often...yet, I searched around and found a nice website with vegetarian recipes:

http://vegweb.com/recipes/

There are a lot of categories to choose from!

The VeggieWook recipe seems quite appetizing, though they spellt wok wrong.

^^ Can't wait till the weekend!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:17 pm
[Matsuko]
Hi peoples! Since I don't exactly make my own food...often...yet, I searched around and found a nice website with vegetarian recipes:

http://vegweb.com/recipes/

There are a lot of categories to choose from!

The VeggieWook recipe seems quite appetizing, though they spellt wok wrong.

^^ Can't wait till the weekend!

Yeah that place is an awesome place to start. They've got pretty much got a recipe every thing under the sun.  

Astrox

Hatelijk_en_bloeden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:53 pm
1 Block Extra Firm Tofu

1 Pkg Original Shake and Bake

Vegetable Oil

Marinade

1/3 Cup Light Tamari Soy Sauce

1/3 Cup Teryaki Sauce

1/4 Cup Maple Syrup or Other Sweetner

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Cut tofu into 1/2" slices (one block makes about 8-9 slices), and then cut the slices in half to make fingers. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and pour over the tofu. Cover the tofu and let it marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours (the longer you leave it in the marinade, the better it tastes. I usually let my tofu marinade all day).

When you are ready to use the tofu, remove it from the marinade and coat all the fingers with Shake and Bake. Cover the bottom of a non stick frying pan with vegetable oil. Place all the fingers in the pan, and cook over medium heat until both sides are golden brown.

When the tofu fingers are ready, pat them down with paper towel to get rid some of the excess oil. Serve immediately with plum sauce or other desired condiment.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:37 am

Hatelijk_en_bloeden

Astrox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:11 pm
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:09 pm

Hatelijk_en_bloeden

Famicommie
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:07 am
Soymilk is yummy and healthy, but is also really expensive when purchased at the store. Follow these steps and you too can have barrels of soymilk sitting around your place.

You'll Need:
Lotsa soybeans, lotsa water, two gallons worth of empty bottles

1. Find a food co-op, chinese grocery store, or farmer's market that sells dried soybeans in bulk. I pay fifty nine-cents a pound. That's a pretty good going rate.

2. Rinse five cups of soybeans really well. I put them in a big strainer basket and rinse them in cold water for a while, then I put them all in a big container and fill it up with water. To clean them really good, I then swirl them around in the water with my fingertips and dump out all of the water. The water starts coming out cleaner every time you do this, so keep going until you feel comfortable with the color of the water. Remember that this stuff is thrown on dirty trucks and kept in filthy warehouses filled with gross chemicals and grime.

3. Soak the five cups of squeeky clean soybeans in ten cups of water overnight (covered). Ten to twelve hours usually does it about right. Some of my friends talk about changing the water halfway through, but I'm lazy. Sometimes I don't even clean them right >.>

4. After soaking, the soybeans will look really big and not at all like soybeans anymore. Put two cups of the soybeans into a blender with five cups of water. Blend on the "grind" function for about a minute. Put the blended mush water into a five gallon stockpot (or smaller pots if you don't have the big one) and repeat until all the beans are blended. The stockpot is really handy for making beer, too. Vegan Guinness is amazing!

5. Turn your stove onto a good medium heat and bring the soon-to-be soymilk to a boil. Don't put the stove on high because it'll burn a lot of the milk. If you're using smaller pots: watchout for boilovers! As soon as the milk begins to boil, reduce the hit to a simmer and continue the simmer for twenty minutes.

6. While the soy is simmering, grab a large heat resistant container like a mixing bowl or a good funnel and empty bottles/jars (we use liter liquor bottles and empty forties because we're punx rox) and start filling your sink with halfway with cold water. Toss all of that ice you made into the sink, too. Once the soy is done simmering, you're going to have a lot of work to do. Creativity with materials is important here; use whatever you have at your disposal to make the job easier.

7. So the soy is done simmering. Now you have to seperate the beans from the milk. There are several methods to do this. Look at my personal evolution:

a. With an empty sink, I poured the milk through a fine strainer resting on a plastic water pitcher from a dollar store. I used a rice spoon to press all of the milk from the pulp. I then transfered the milk slowly from the pitcher into the empty bottles. Once all of the milk was bottled I filled the sink with cold water and ice cubes and let the milk chill, then refrigerated it.

b. In a dumpster one night I drunkenly came across a batman costume cape. After washing it with a load of my clothes, I used it to strain the pulp of the soy from the milk by rubberbanding it around the mouth of the pitcher.

c. My roommate picked up a colander and a mixing bowl for some reason, and we'd acquired a stockpot for beer brewing, so I cooked up the soymilk in the stockpot and filled the sink with ice and water. Then, I lined the colander with some cheesecloth and put it in the mixing bowl. After pouring the soymilk into the mixing bowl, I just lifted out the colander, wrapped up the cheesecloth, and pressed all of the soymilk out with the rice spoon. Then I put the mixing bowl in the sink of water and ice and stirred until the milk was cold.

As you can see, the tools available can drastically alter how easily this step can be done.

8. Refrigerate. Enjoy. The milk should last for five days.  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff