Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Mentor Yulo-chan [Open] Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 pm
User Image

----♥ w e b s i t e : DeviantArt
----♥ t i m exz o n e : (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
----♥ a c t i v i t y : >1/day

Hi <: Right now, I don't want a single mentee in particular, so I'm
open to people dropping by and asking me for advice and suggestions.
And you can ask for an assignment if you're completely directionless. whee

----♥ e d u c a t i o n : n/a
----♥ p r o g r a m s : SAI PaintTool
----♥ m e d i u m s : Digital, Ink, Color Pencil

For an idea of my mentoring style:
---- I encourage you to develop your own style by studying the artists who inspire you the most.
---- If you have a work in progress or a completed piece, I can look at it and help you out if you want.

M E N T E ExR E Q U I R E M E N T S ❤
----♥ 1 : You must have a functional scanner for traditional work.
----♥ 2 : You must have a functional tablet and tablet pen for digital work.
----♥ 3 : You go on the computer at least once a week. <:  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:37 am
I've gotten over it over and over again

Hello!
I'm interested in becoming a mentee.
My name is Meagan, but I'm very accustomed to going by the name "Llama".

I'm 17, and have no formal art training.
Most of my finished artwork is done digitally with my fancydancy tablet, however I also work a lot with graphite, colored pencils and acrylic paints.
(Usually if I'm using acrylics, I'm not painting the human form though ;P)

I'm really studying my anatomy and movement right now, but I have a lot of weaknesses (Such as color theory and working out smooth lines ><)

I would love to be your mentee just for the experience of having someone to critique and help me regularly, as the PP isn't always the most reliable place
I'm on the computer daily, and I try to draw daily as well, and my timezone is Pacific Time, so three hours behind your time.

My sketchbook thread in this guild is here (A lot more WIPs) [x] (I just post and update this one as I go now)
And my dA gallery is here (Only finished works)
[x]
My latest work is actually displayed in my sketchbook thread right now <3

Thank you for considering me (: <3

User Image----- Angelic Minis: 9mil/240+ Mil----User Image

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:52 pm
Hi Meagan <: heart
I think I'd like to be your mentor. p: I will be glad to help you regularly. If either of us decides to take some sort of a break or hits a rut, we'll be sure to tell each other, right? I'm glad that you don't draw anime/manga like I do. Since your style is more realistic, it's easier to work with. Drawing at least once per day shows you're serious about improving your art, so it's great that you try to draw daily. And the time zones is a great arrangement because then I don't have to wait for you if I ever needed to wait for you. XD

You're studying anatomy and movement, right? And you say you have trouble working out smooth lines. If your lines aren't coming out smooth, it means that you lack real life observations. I suggest an intensive study of references.

Try to completely copy this reference to the best of your ability and get it to me ASAP (: Then I'll teach you something, depending on how you do.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I found it from this website where you're allowed to use the images as reference material. <:  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:25 pm
Yulo-chan
MarianasLlama

Hello!
I'm interested in becoming a mentee.
My name is Meagan, but I'm very accustomed to going by the name "Llama".

I'm 17, and have no formal art training.
Most of my finished artwork is done digitally with my fancydancy tablet, however I also work a lot with graphite, colored pencils and acrylic paints.
(Usually if I'm using acrylics, I'm not painting the human form though ;P)

I'm really studying my anatomy and movement right now, but I have a lot of weaknesses (Such as color theory and working out smooth lines ><)

I would love to be your mentee just for the experience of having someone to critique and help me regularly, as the PP isn't always the most reliable place
I'm on the computer daily, and I try to draw daily as well, and my timezone is Pacific Time, so three hours behind your time.

My sketchbook thread in this guild is here (A lot more WIPs) [x] (I just post and update this one as I go now)
And my dA gallery is here (Only finished works)
[x]
My latest work is actually displayed in my sketchbook thread right now <3

Thank you for considering me (: <3

Hi Meagan <: heart
I think I'd like to be your mentor. p: I will be glad to help you regularly. If either of us decides to take some sort of a break or hits a rut, we'll be sure to tell each other, right? I'm glad that you don't draw anime/manga like I do. Since your style is more realistic, it's easier to work with. Drawing at least once per day shows you're serious about improving your art, so it's great that you try to draw daily. And the time zones is a great arrangement because then I don't have to wait for you if I ever needed to wait for you. XD

You're studying anatomy and movement, right? And you say you have trouble working out smooth lines. If your lines aren't coming out smooth, it means that you lack real life observations. I suggest an intensive study of references.

Try to completely copy this reference to the best of your ability and get it to me ASAP (: Then I'll teach you something, depending on how you do.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I found it from this website where you're allowed to use the images as reference material. <:

Alrighty!
Do you care if it's digital or traditional?

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:28 pm
Nope. <: That part is up to you heart
I'll draw it with you XD Anything I tell you to do; I'll do it, too.
Good luck whee  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:59 pm
Yulo-chan
MarianasLlama
Alrighty!
Do you care if it's digital or traditional?

Nope. <: That part is up to you heart
I'll draw it with you XD Anything I tell you to do; I'll do it, too.
Good luck whee

Good, because I had already started sketching in pencil xD
Also- do you mind if I don't use my scanner? It's just a pain because my dad is on the office computer that it's attached to ><
I have a camera though

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:18 pm
XD Pencil is good. Do you have a printer, by the way?

I'm sorry, Meagan ): I do mind a lot.. I get that going out of your way to scan something is a pain.. My scanner is attached to a computer in my dining room, so whenever I want to scan something, I have to go all the way to the other side of the house, plus scanning takes super long, and I have to attach the file to a draft in my gmail account to transfer it to my laptop. XDDD But I don't have to get my dad off the computer like you have to ):
Having a scanner is a mentee requirement that I listed, which means you also have to use it. >: I need to see your work properly, so you can't just say "Sorry it looks kinda bad because I used my camera" XD Also, I'm going to use it for something, so it needs to be scanned. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:26 pm
Yulo-chan
XD Pencil is good. Do you have a printer, by the way?

I'm sorry, Meagan ): I do mind a lot.. I get that going out of your way to scan something is a pain.. My scanner is attached to a computer in my dining room, so whenever I want to scan something, I have to go all the way to the other side of the house, plus scanning takes super long, and I have to attach the file to a draft in my gmail account to transfer it to my laptop. XDDD But I don't have to get my dad off the computer like you have to ):
Having a scanner is a mentee requirement that I listed, which means you also have to use it. >: I need to see your work properly, so you can't just say "Sorry it looks kinda bad because I used my camera" XD Also, I'm going to use it for something, so it needs to be scanned. wink

Alrighty, I understand (: I'll just scan it a little bit later then when my dad is done. Or I guess I could just do it with my tablet.. oh the options...xD

Edit: Yup, our scanner is actually also a printer razz

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:48 pm
Thanks heart
I'll use this time to finish mine!! scream !!
or... you can keep working on your pencil drawing.
Add final touches and fix some stuff? XD  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Hah, I tried, but...it's really bad.
I almost want to try to re-do it, but this one was already my second attempt.
Clearly I have a very hard time with hands. o.o'

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:23 pm
Ahhh, you're probably right-handed then 3nodding
You were probably subconsciously thinking, "okay I'm drawing folded hands,"
and just tried to draw folded hands without really copying the reference.
You have to just copy what you see even when you don't know what it is. Don't try to identify it. <:
If you were left-handed and thus more right-brain oriented, you would have just kept tweaking it until it looked like the reference lol

This is a good exercise to do:
I've increased the contrast to differentiate the highlights and shadows for aesthetic purposes and placed a grid on top the reference picture.
User Image

When you just focus on a single individual grid, the left side of your brain will be really confused and give you a headache. In order to copy the individual grid, the right side of your brain will kick into gear. <:

I've removed a few of the rectangles in the picture.
User Image
Please fill in the missing rectangles as accurately as you possibly can.
heart
Here are the rectangles I've removed. Figure out where each one goes XD
User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

You can do this digitally, or you can print it out and do it by pencil. (:  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38 pm

-Walks over to check office-

Darn computer is still being used.
I redid the first hand thing, I think it looks a lot better than before, but your'e right, I am right handed xD

YAY CONTRAST. I love harsh lighting <3

I think I'll do this one digitally just because I can't print right now either xD

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Yay scanner!

Here's the first one

I'm still working on the squares thingy. ^^

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Aaaaand this one is done.

User Image

That one was fun, actually xD.

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:22 pm
Ohhh this is really good. whee
You definitely used some of the left side of your brain. Ahh~
You did shading too~~ heart heart

Some things you should work on are the angles of the lines, the shading, and the completion of an image.
Angles of the Lines
When you see a line, try putting your pencil to it and maintain that angle when you draw the line. This is especially important for the fingers to look naturally bent.
Shading
Pay attention to the values and how abruptly they change. For example, the shading around the veins on the right side should be very soft and gradual.
Completion of the Image
I asked you to copy the reference picture completely, right?
You should have noticed and drawn the background, the shirt, and the cast shadow, and you should have stopped drawing where the reference picture ended. <: We'll work on that.

I resized your drawing, increased the brightness and contrast, turned it pink, and put it on top of the reference picture for you to see how your attempt to completely copy the reference image went.
User Image

I want you to take notes on top of it, now. (: Expand the canvas size(not resolution size) and circle the areas where you made "mistakes," and take notes on how to improve it next time. For example, one mistake I would circle is the wrist; I'd write next to it, "Wrist should be wider" Also, always be positive and avoid using the words "not," "too," and "enough." (: For example, instead of writing "The wrist isn't wide enough," or "The wrist is too thin," write "The wrist should be wider." Okie? <:

This is my last post for today. You can take your time and do more practicing if you want. <: I'll be back tomorrow to look at your grids for a bit. Sorry
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff