Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doll With A Knife

2,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:49 am
I understand that people hunt for food, and that's totally different.

I'm talking about the cretins who go out and shoot animals purely for "fun". They kill things for no other purpose than to lop its head off and hang it on their wall, then call it a "prize" or "trophy". My dad watches those kinds of shows on TV, and it makes me sick. There was one time where these guys went out in the middle of Africa and shot a bunch of antelope so they could have them stuffed. It disturbed me the way they were so proud of their kill and were laughing about it as they went on and on about what a beautiful animal it was.

I've noticed that a lot of these people claim to be nature and animal lovers. How can you call yourself an animal lover when you enjoy killing them? That seems a little sadistic to me. You have to have some kind of sickness in you to find pleasure in shooting and killing a living thing, even if it's a wild animal. I just don't understand it.

What do you guys think? Am I just a nutcase or what?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:54 am
Well, personally, it's their choice of interest. I'm a vegetarian and I honestly don't mind the sport hunting.

It doesn't sound like fun to me, but I don't care if someone hunts animals for fun.  

Frezeal

Shameless Elder

Christizzle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:31 pm
If you kill animals for fun there's seriously something wrong with you. But, if you honor the animal and use the meat, the hide etc then I think it's a good thing.
My stepdad hunts all the time but we actually USE the animal.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:01 pm
I don't mind sport hunting as long as it serves a purpose such as population control.

For instance, here in Florida, some private fishing lake owners give out rewards for catching snakeheads since they are an invasive species that takes over the ecosystem quickly and kill off everything else. They can travel out of the water into other lakes and streams. Arizona, I think, has a similar problem with some small pigs and Colorado had that problem with deer.

Georgia, and Florida encourage the hunting of the giant hogs we have down here, they're about the size of a bear and have been known to kill dogs and people.  

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Sophisticated Simplicity

Greedy Cat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:14 pm
In the province I used to live in, the government encourages people to hunt the deer and moose, where the overpopulation of these animals are becoming a very big problem. They destroy crops, compete with horses and cows for food, and cause over 2000 car accidents a year, many of them fatal.
I am not against sport hunting, as long as it is done responsibly, and within restricted areas. If it's not interfering with the environment, then I'm not going to say it's wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:40 pm
My friend at school sport hunts.. I ask him not too, but ever since he brought a picture of a stuffed rabbit to school, I've been to freaked to argue. Rabbits= Scary  

Jao Feng

Short Melancholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:15 pm
@ frezeal: How can you not have a problem with hunting for sport? I mean. I'm a vegetarian and I kind of understand if you eat the meat, honestly I think it's the most humane thing, compared to how we usually get meat. True, the animal is terrified for the last bit of its life, but at least it's over quickly and it doesn't suffer. But hunting just to kill something? That's just wrong.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:33 pm
Which is more humane, killing off the surplus quickly to ensure the survival of the species or letting them run unchecked killing off everything else and themselves through slow, slow starvation.

Sport hunting is only legal on the problem animals: rabbits, deer, moose, boars, snakeheads, sunfish, squirrels, ect. . . .

These animals have overpopulated to extremes that their natural predators can't keep them in check for us or like the snakeheads and boars, are an invasive species with no natural predators in the area.

Short Melancholic
@ frezeal: How can you not have a problem with hunting for sport? I mean. I'm a vegetarian and I kind of understand if you eat the meat, honestly I think it's the most humane thing, compared to how we usually get meat. True, the animal is terrified for the last bit of its life, but at least it's over quickly and it doesn't suffer. But hunting just to kill something? That's just wrong.

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Doll With A Knife

2,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 pm
Christizzle
If you kill animals for fun there's seriously something wrong with you. But, if you honor the animal and use the meat, the hide etc then I think it's a good thing.
My stepdad hunts all the time but we actually USE the animal.

That's exactly what I mean. I don't have a problem with raising cows and pigs for butcher because it serves a purpose. We eat the meat, use the hide for clothing, etc. Nothing is wasted. Plus the farmers and butchers don't kill them for enjoyment. They do it because they need to make a living and we need the products from it.

I just can't stand the asshats who shoot things for shits and giggles.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:45 pm
    Xena basically took all the words out of my mouth.
    While I don't like to support it, if it will help ensure the species survival, it doesn't bother me as much.

Is an interest in taxidermy conflict with this? I don't believe so. It's not just about killing an animal and putting it in your cabin any more. It's a learning opportunity; study anatomy without the dangers. In its own unique way, it's an art.

iKiin

Garbage

porsef

Vicious Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:19 am
I'm not supportive of them killing for fun but if it's for population control, as Xena stated, I'm fine with it. Like the white tailed deer where I live, we have hunting seasons for those because there are too many (since wolves are extinct here they have no predators). Although most people eat the meat off of it and take the hide.

With what iKiin said about taxidermy, I agree. Same with dissections, which apparently is a touchy subject. But I'll bring it up assuming most of us can be mature about it. I agree with having dissections because it gives a hands on learning experience for the person to learn the anatomy of the animal and such. Some people kill animals for science and honestly, only one won't kill the whole population. On the contrary they need to make more virtual dissections for dissecting the frogs in schools because that's really hurting them. I'm not sure it hurts any other animal either though, because not many schools do other things. Like what I did in my Zoology class. We dissected deer heads, grasshoppers, crayfish, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:27 am
Ever since I saw two guys on national geograpich hunting down a boar, and - in my eyes - abusing it before they finally killed it. I don´t respect hunting on animals anymore.

I understand it needs to be done when there is overpopulating. But people should do it in a humane way.

Not like those two blokes on tv sitting on the boar, tying it down with ropes, and pulling it through the water to the other side, while that poor boar was screaming bloody murder, and had trouble breathing, because it kept going under water. And then it was thrown in the back of a truck like a piece of garbage.

People should have at least some respect for the animals they are killing.
And not make their last minutes a living hell...  

pompoennetje

Kitty-in-a-hole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:39 am
Here in Australia people are encouraged to hunt boars, rabbits, foxes and especially cane toads. they destroy the environment and kill off native animals. although killing native Australian animals is illegal (except roos)  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:43 am
                User Image
                TheAristocratSays:
                I don't agree with killing animals for fun, either.

Here in England, fox hunting was a "popular sport" supported by the torys (who are now in power emotion_facepalm ) and even though it was banned they're trying to bring it back in and people are still caught hunting the poor foxes for fun.

It's just... Do these people honestly have nothing better to do then to kill an animal for fun?
                Do they not know that we now live in the world of the internet?!

They need a hobby. A normal hobby, not a derranged one. emotion_donotwant

TH3_G1ITCH_

Enduring Receiver

13,300 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

THE_FAIRY_EMPRESS
Vice Captain

Original Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:04 am
I'm also in England, in the country side. Game shooting is not seen as fun rather something that has to be done, rabbits and foxes desimate the agricultural comunity, costs thousands of pounds. It has nothing to do with loving or hating animals, it is not just a hobby. It is a protection of income and land. Apart fro foxes all meat is used. Fun culture in America is so very differant from that of England currently, unfortunatley gun liscencing is being privatised so we will soon be like America, at which point we will get morons with guns  
13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff