Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
plastic melting Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cyrus Loken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:31 pm
So, I'm sure everyone knows the abundance of extra plastic we all get with the gaming models. I grow tired of wasteing this extra plastic so I was hoping there was a way to melt it down and use it for things like terrain or carving and whatnot. What I need to know before this is how to do it, the potential hazards of it and it would also be nice to know a melting point.

wahmbulance If there's some kind of law against this and/or Gamesworkshop prohibits it, I apologize gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:39 pm
well the biggest problem and hazard is going to be supplying the heat required to melt it and keeping it in a controlled state as to not as to not set it on fire. The models are injection molded which is to put simply is like taking a hot plastic and forcing it filling a 2 piece mold. But before it is melted is comes in a pellet form which is easier to melt. And from what I have read it is all but impossible to melt and use again. Also the fumes are toxic  

Mat

Dangerous Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Cyrus Loken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:37 pm
is it just the models that are a 2 piece mold or does that include the flash/racks that it comes attached to (probably a dumb question xP) ... I've really never done anything like this before so as much information as possible would be appreciated. Or at least a good spot to be pointed in the direction of.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:10 am
as far as i know, the melting is done under pressure in the original factory process, so its rather impossible to recreate in home conditions  

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Mat

Dangerous Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:23 am
the whole frame model parts and all are typically 2 pieces. the little circles the come of the frame are actually air vents to prevent bubbles remaining inside the mold  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:12 pm
Some 10+ years ago, whilst still relatively new to conversions I decided that the leg of a particular plastic model needed to bend a certain way... The stuff catches fire far too easily and the resultant green flames were most certainly hazardous to my health. Oh and the model was a disaster lol. I have tried under low heat without much success as well... sweatdrop I dont have the slightest clue about melting the stuff down for other purposes, though I empathise with you concerning the amount of 'spare' plastic that is left.  

Knight of Tzeentch

7,800 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100

Sir Kyle Aziz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:38 pm
Knight of Tzeentch
Some 10+ years ago, whilst still relatively new to conversions I decided that the leg of a particular plastic model needed to bend a certain way... The stuff catches fire far too easily and the resultant green flames were most certainly hazardous to my health. Oh and the model was a disaster lol. I have tried under low heat without much success as well... sweatdrop I dont have the slightest clue about melting the stuff down for other purposes, though I empathise with you concerning the amount of 'spare' plastic that is left.

Sounds to me like it was coated in foul fel fire from the warp. You're lucky a daemon didn't come out.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:29 pm
Sir Kyle Aziz
Knight of Tzeentch

Sounds to me like it was coated in foul fel fire from the warp. You're lucky a daemon didn't come out.

Haha, but it wouldn't have been that bad for him, I mean he's obviously a Tzeentch cultist. And its nice to know that someone else feels my pain. I do wish I was good enough at sculpting that I could create my own terrain. The closest thing I've come to making my own terrain is using melted candlewax and mixing it with crayons. (which is on youtube, Tyranid digestion pool). the color turned out amazingly well and the stuff gave off a very goopy look that I love.

Maybe this should have been in the modeling forum? xD  

Cyrus Loken

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:06 am
Indeed. Going to be transferred over there in the morning.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:23 pm
Sheesh, good thing I'm here. confused Don't attempt to melt this stuff down on your own; it is highly toxic and has to be maintained at about 315 Fahrenheit, three degree leniency only. Also, keeping it pressurized helps to control that and allows for filling the molds to happen smoothly.
I'd suggest learning how to make a heating coil to try softening but not melting this stuff. Heat generated from electricity is safer and more controlled. I mainly keep mine to make structural supports for ruins, Hedgehogs (these things) or rough them up to make wooden posts.  

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

Cyrus Loken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:23 am
I was really only hoping to make small pieces of terrain with the stuff (such as sandbag walls or other small cover) so that really helps. I get that the fumes are toxic, as only 5 other people said the same thing in their posts, so that doesn't need to be repeated anymore 3nodding Thank you very much though, you have been most helpful in my epic quest.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:59 pm
I was pretty sure that,as mentioned above,one couldn't re-melt them,but apparently it's possible

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread,as from a,dare I say,enviromental point of view,it just get's thrown out,when it could be so useful

I have to admit,the Digestion pool excellent,it would be great to use excess plastic for something like a daemon version of that,or something eye-catching

I can't really suggest anything,apart from one of those furnaces that glassblowers and the like occasionally have at their homes,but the temperature regulation would be a major issue

As far as I've ever known,in response to your legal query,I'm pretty sure GW are okay about it as long as you don't sell it

James Calaway

6,950 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:29 pm
Heh, sorry, I tend to get carried away.
I'd a;so suggest getting some 1/4 inch mesh or finer Chicken Wire so you can cut it into strips for making realistic Constantine wire, combined with one inch pieces of the sprue to make the Constantine lines we make now in the Army. All you have to do to get the coiled shape is wind int tightly around a pencil and give it a slight stretch. This way you also just add some finely ground rust to the whole thing to weather it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:52 am
Thank you guys so much for your suggestions biggrin For those who have seen my digestion pool on youtube (here) (I was really suprised to notice the amount of views eek ) and all its baron cardboard lovelyness, is there a way I can buy the gravel en masse? I'm looking on the GW site and I'm not seeing anything besides those tiny tubs.

I fantasize about building myself a gaming table blaugh kinda a long ways away from the skills for it. sweatdrop  

Cyrus Loken

Mat

Dangerous Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:13 am
ChaosThePowerful
Thank you guys so much for your suggestions biggrin For those who have seen my digestion pool on youtube (here) (I was really suprised to notice the amount of views eek ) and all its baron cardboard lovelyness, is there a way I can buy the gravel en masse? I'm looking on the GW site and I'm not seeing anything besides those tiny tubs.

I fantasize about building myself a gaming table blaugh kinda a long ways away from the skills for it. sweatdrop
I bought some in a big bag years ago, Try cruising the model railroading sections  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff