Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Terry Pratchett's Diskworld Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Olivia Benson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:33 pm
I've seen a couple topics here on certain books, but not on the whole series....So I decided to make one!
For those of you that don't know about this amazing series, here's a quick review-
The Diskworld is a very demented, funny world made up by the literary genius Terry Pratchett....THe Disk sits on the back of four elephants, which stand on the back of the Great Turtle A'Tuin.....anything is possible there, and million-to-one chances work nine times out of ten......There's a very large city-state on the Disk named Ankh-Morpork....it slightly resembles every major city in the US, especially New York......one of my favorite Pratchett quotes about this series is "there is no map of Diskworld, because ou can't map humor..."
Anyway, I'm rambling.....Diskwolrd is hard to describe, its best if you just read it and find out on your own..... xd
For those of you who have read it, I'd like to know who you're fav character and book are (if you can choose!)
I'm currently rereading the whole set, (it's been a while...) and so can probably add my fav book later....my fav character is Rincewind (and his ever-present Luggage!) and Death....I just finished Mort, and I an ashamed to sa that I forgot how funny and twisted the Disk is...... xd  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:44 pm
I've read them and I find that my favourite character is Lu Tze in Thief of Time which is also my favourite book. I find taking a book into rural country to read again and again makes you rather ond of the book. Perhaps that's why theif of time is my favourite..  

isidar_mithram

Olivia Benson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:48 pm
Lu Tze was pretty cool....Theif of Time was really cool, I remember the general storyline but i'm having a hard time remembering exact details of the book.....that was the point behind this thread, I was hoping that it would help me remember some of the older books....(the last two I read was Monstrous Regiment and the Postal Service one).....all of the others I haven't picked up in a couple of years, and there's been many books in between......  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:36 pm
I'm a MAJOR Discworld fan. (I've probably said this in one of those other threads ...) I love all of them, but at the moment my favourites are probably Soul Music and The Last Continent. Death is my absolute favourite charater, followed by Lord Vetinari.

I don't think Ankh-Morpork was ever supposed to be like New York, I think of it more like London, but hey, who am I kidding, there's no place on Earth quite like Ankh-Morpork!  

Cassandra_the_Prophetess

isidar_mithram

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:33 pm
Olivia Benson
Lu Tze was pretty cool....Theif of Time was really cool, I remember the general storyline but i'm having a hard time remembering exact details of the book.....that was the point behind this thread, I was hoping that it would help me remember some of the older books....(the last two I read was Monstrous Regiment and the Postal Service one).....all of the others I haven't picked up in a couple of years, and there's been many books in between......
I got it for Christmas a few years back. I like the strangeness of his books, like how in Theif of Time, he starts going on about desks and the machine for testing whether toast lands butter side up or down. That was cool!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:37 pm
Ankh-Morpork was probably based more on London than NYC considering where the author is from, but it's a very good description of just about wvery major city in the world........I said NYC because I'm american, so that's the first big city I could think of..........  

Olivia Benson

Caliburn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:58 am
Indeed A-M is based of London, but with quite a few worldy influences. I'm a big fan of pratchett's books, my favorite character has to be Samuel Vimes though razz .
The funny thing I find about the books is that the series gets better and better with each new book, even the side-books (N.O.'s Cookbook, etc.) are beautifull and especially in the case of the science of discworld(1,2,3) they can teach you something usefull as well.
Uhm, I should mention, I guess, that I've nearly every book (not the wyrdest link, nor yet the art of discworld) and that I've not regretted a single purchase. rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:52 am
Olivia Benson
Ankh-Morpork was probably based more on London than NYC considering where the author is from, but it's a very good description of just about wvery major city in the world........I said NYC because I'm american, so that's the first big city I could think of..........

Actually, the guy who Pratchett based the Librarian on says that Pratchett based A-M on the cities of Lancaster and Morecambe - right down to the river and bridge down the middle.  

Nuala

lavenvi05

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:39 pm
I like Death, death is awsome! He always talks in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS! blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:10 am
hey cool, new post......I was starting to think that this thread had died on me......Death of Rats says SQUEAK......always in caps too......any want to know the story of how death of rats got there?  

Olivia Benson

Cassandra_the_Prophetess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:01 pm
Hehe! I know, I've read Reaper Man too!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:02 pm
hilarious idea........I'm going to tell it!! Jsut because it's so kewl!
Death got tired of ushering the souls of every creature on the disk, so he split himself into pieces......then there was Death of Dogs, birds, even those little sea anemone creatures......that became to chaotic though, so he put himself back to gether.......if I remember correctly, this is what was said afterwards.....
Death-"THERE SEEMS TO BE SOMETHING MISSING..."
"SQUEAK"
Death-"OH.....I FIGURED YOU WOULD STAY BEHIND..."
or something like that.......it has been a while.......but anyway, ever since then, Death of Rats ushers all rats and mice.......Death takes care of everyone else........Nanny Ogg's cat Greebo once tried to chase and eat Death of Rats....forgot what book that was though. Any one else remember that scene?  

Olivia Benson

Shanti~dragongirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:39 pm
my dad is a major fan and i've read a lot myself but i prefer the DEATH and witch ones but i also like Monstrous Regiment  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:32 pm
Olivia Benson
hilarious idea........I'm going to tell it!! Jsut because it's so kewl!
Death got tired of ushering the souls of every creature on the disk, so he split himself into pieces......then there was Death of Dogs, birds, even those little sea anemone creatures......that became to chaotic though, so he put himself back to gether.......if I remember correctly, this is what was said afterwards.....
Death-"THERE SEEMS TO BE SOMETHING MISSING..."
"SQUEAK"
Death-"OH.....I FIGURED YOU WOULD STAY BEHIND..."
or something like that.......it has been a while.......but anyway, ever since then, Death of Rats ushers all rats and mice.......Death takes care of everyone else........Nanny Ogg's cat Greebo once tried to chase and eat Death of Rats....forgot what book that was though. Any one else remember that scene?
Hey, That's kind of funny, and very interesting.  

lavenvi05

lavenvi05

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:34 pm
Shanti~dragongirl
my dad is a major fan and i've read a lot myself but i prefer the DEATH and witch ones but i also like Monstrous Regiment
I haven't read that much of the disc world books, but I already love the witch and Death books. Hey, have you read his first book "The color of magic"?  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff