Submit

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:37 am
The Horus Heresy appears to be hot these days. A few years ago Sabretooth Games did a CCG series based around the Heresy, followed by the Black Library collecting the art together and kicking off a definite series of novels and audio books with the intent of telling the history of the Heresy as it happened, with Alan Merrett, lore master of the 40k verse, at the helm. Just a few months ago FFG re-released the Horus Heresy boardgame and now Forge World is releasing Heresy-era power armour sets with weapons to go!

Again, the Horus Heresy is hot! So why not have a thread where those interested can talk about the events surrounding it, the novels and whatever else fits into the whole thing?

We've got at least one confirmed resident Horus Heresy fan who has all the novels alongside the Collected Visions of the Horus Heresy, which is the "Bible" that the authors adhere to when it comes to their telling of the Heresy.

So, feel free to ask away and discuss!

Books released so far, along with their sexy and enticing secondary titles:

Horus Rising - The seeds of heresy have been sown
False Gods - The heresy takes root
Galaxy in Flames - The heresy revealed
The Flight of the Eisenstein - The heresy unfolds
Fulgrim - Visions of treachery
Descent of Angels - Loyalty and honour
Legion - Secrets and lies
Battle for the Abyss - My brother, my enemy
Mechanicum - War comes to Mars
Tales of Heresy - N/A
Fallen Angels - Deceit and betrayal
A Thousand Sons - All is dust...
Nemesis - War within the shadows
The First Heretic - Fall to Chaos
Prospero Burns - The wolves unleashed
Age of Darkness - N/A
The Outcast Dead - The truth lies within
Deliverance Lost - Ghosts of Terra
Know No Fear - The battle of Calth
The Primarchs - N/A (June 2012)
Fear to Tread - The angel falls (September 2012)
Angel Exterminatus - Flesh and Iron (January 2013)

Exclusive novels:
Promethean Sun - Into the fires of war
Aurelian - The Eye stares back
Brotherhood of the Storm - The Khan rides to war

Audio novels:
The Lightning Tower / The Dark King
Raven's Flight
Garro - Oath of Moment
Garro - Legion of One
Butcher's Nails (June 2012)  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:27 am
I'm curious to know if we see an expansion released for the main game system, much like the Eye of Terror. It would be fun to actually be able to play through the scenarios.  

Sissy Fairy

6,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:18 am
difficulty of doing that though is that to fit the setting, GW would have to release other box sets for some of the armies (Pre-Heresy space marines/chaos marines for example, as the current boxes are too modern, and both armies used the same armours at the time)

but Forge World have just done just that, so GW clearly isnt gonna make plastic varients just yet and make FW get no profit for the molds they have spent god knows how much making...

so chances are, no official campaign. however, if you want to play through the horus heresy, "Bell Of Lost Souls" released a Horus Heresy campaign book a couple years ago, which can be found here: Bell Of Lost Souls Mini'Dex Downloads
(note that since BoLS updated a while back, all downloads have been moved to a secondary blog, which is what i linked to)

its called the "Warhammer 30,000 Campaign Book: Age of Heresy" and is about halfway down the page.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:10 am
Actually, this may sound odd, but when GW is considering something and they don't know if it is worth the risk they run it by Forge World first. Stuff like the Baneblade, Piranha, Sky Ray, Valkyrie and certain other tank variants were first done in resin and after having proven quite a success they are picked up by GW. Looking at those armour kits I think we can safely say that GW will snatch those up in a year or two and turn them into plastics.

Rule-wise: it wouldn't be that hard to produce a book dedicated to the Horus Heresy. Again, this is something Forge World might be tackling first, either with their Imperial Armour series (which is soon to either do the Badab Wars or doing a general Marine armour book) or through a new line of books.

GW is seeing the Horus Heresy as something to branch out into, especially now that the novels are gaining much acclaim and FW is doing their thing for it. But will it still be viable in a year or two?  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:15 pm
The stuff you know sometimes..

Cranking out scenarios shouldn't be that hard for a 30k expansion. Army lists and pre-heresy foes might be a bit tougher to handle on the other hand. Though this might be the ideal situation to use miniature lines from different companies to represent other human civilisations that refuse compliance or alien races that have since been wiped out.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:26 pm
I see the Horus Heresy coming out as being something that will be released, on the principals that maybe in a year or so, the HH book series are still drawing interest. You have 14 books so far, First Heretic in November and Prospero Burns in January. Not forgetting the audio dramas released. The CCG (which i still have some cards to somewhere stashed in my bedroom).

It wouldn't be too difficult to release box sets. Apart from Emperors Children who are the only legion back in the day to bear the Imperial Aquila on their chests, everyone pretty much used the same armour. There are the variations of course, but all you really need is Shoulder Pad sets and transfer sheets.  

Sissy Fairy

6,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:37 pm
Difficult no, but very expensive for GW.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:42 pm
Hmm thats true. I guess its just a case of waiting for the right time to release these things.  

Sissy Fairy

6,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:20 pm
If the return is worth it GW will consider doing it. If Forge World sells those kits like hotcakes (Which I think they most certainly will!) then I think we can safely assume that GW will take it over later.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:13 pm
Hmm agreed. I'll find out what I can at Games Day next month  

Lunar Marionette

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:16 am
I think one of the main reasons we're not seeing any rule sets or scenarios involving the Horus Heresy is because it is still very much WIP with the BL novels. Sure, they could do it in segments, but at three to four novels a year the campaign would advance at a snails pace. Especially seeing as the novels sometimes weave between pre-Heresy and the "present" time of the Heresy.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:32 am
Another problem might be that most enemies are contained to just a single world at the outset of the Crusade, meaning that once you beat them that's all folks.

I'd love to see a Drop Pod Massacre scenario or one of those other iconic moments translated into a tabletop gaming moment.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

x-EternalAnguish-x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:55 pm
Lady Blodwynn
The Horus Heresy appears to be hot these days. A few years ago Sabretooth Games did a CCG series based around the Heresy, followed by the Black Library collecting the art together and kicking off a definite series of novels and audio books with the intent of telling the history of the Heresy as it happened, with Alan Merrett, lore master of the 40k verse, at the helm. Just a few months ago FFG re-released the Horus Heresy boardgame and now Forge World is releasing Heresy-era power armour sets with weapons to go!

Again, the Horus Heresy is hot! So why not have a thread where those interested can talk about the events surrounding it, the novels and whatever else fits into the whole thing?

We've got at least one confirmed resident Horus Heresy fan who has all the novels alongside the Collected Visions of the Horus Heresy, which is the "Bible" that the authors adhere to when it comes to their telling of the Heresy.

You do know they are making the books for it, right?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:59 pm
Kusebia-san
Lady Blodwynn
Black Library collecting the art together and kicking off a definite series of novels and audio books

You mean the ones she's linked in that post?  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:59 am
Kusebia-san
Lady Blodwynn

Yes, I see that you didn't read my post all that well, as I link to the novel range. wink  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff