Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AThousandLullabies

5,650 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:34 pm
I'm starting high school this September and I'm like freaking out because i don't know like, anybody. All my close friends from middle school are going to a different school but I chose this one because it has a good musical theater program. We had an orientation type thing and when I was there all the kids were friends with somebody already and i felt awkward just sitting there.
And I'm nervous because the school is huge and I'm scared I'm going to get lost and be late the first day of school or I'll miss the bus or something.
It's also a really smart school and I know that I'm smart or else I wouldn't have gotten in but I'm still nervous that everyone else will be smarter than me.

So like what is high school like and did you guys like it?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:08 pm
I managed to miss the bus twice on my first day of high school.
The time was wrong on my bus thing, so I was about fifteen minutes late, so my friend's dad took me. =] But then I didn't know what bus to ride home, so I had to call my friend's mom to pick me up.

It's not nearly scary as it seems. There will be lots of new kids in the same situation as you. They'll all have no idea where to go. Ask an upperclassman or teacher where you're going if you have nooo idea. People get lost. It happens. Lol. I got lost my first day last year, and I was a junior. =]

The first day's usually pretty chill. Teacher's just talk about what their class is like and such.

Also, for meeting new people, join a whole bunch of clubs/sports. Something you like, obviously. You'll meet a lot of people that way and it will look good for colleges, if you plan on going to college and that whole deal.

I can go on and on about my personal experiences, but every high school is different and everyone's experience is different, so yeah. If you have any questions or whatever, just ask. =]  

eccentricanomaly

J e n R e i

Tipsy Sex Symbol

8,300 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:19 pm
Highschool is great. Freshmen year was fun for me, getting to know the place and the people.But Sophmore year was sooo boring. No one really pays attention to the 10th graders but now i am about to start junior year! cannot wait! you will love highschool.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:40 pm

I know it might seem easier-said-than-done, but relax a little. Think back to all your other first days of school, they probably didn't turn out to be so bad. I was freaking out my first day of high school too, but it turned out to be amazing. You will love it, you'll see. =]

Teal Heart

AThousandLullabies

5,650 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:00 pm
Teal Heart

I know it might seem easier-said-than-done, but relax a little. Think back to all your other first days of school, they probably didn't turn out to be so bad. I was freaking out my first day of high school too, but it turned out to be amazing. You will love it, you'll see. =]

my other first day of school was kindergarten. . .  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:23 pm
It's crazy and fun and a whirlwind of experience....you'll get lost, think you were crazy for starting, and end up haveing the time of your life!!
Meeting new friends I found rather easy. There's TONS of people there once you get to highschool, and probably a lot you can enjoy hanging uot with! Be outgoing, get involved, and don't worry! It's one of those 'Make mistakes and get messy' things (Sorry Ms. Frizzle!) -- you have to rush in there, and sure you'll end up on your backside half the time. But the other times will make it worth it!
And first day of school is usually pretty boring. Teachers talk about what class is like, give you out course outlines. You get to meet people though! -- my advice for highschool is to keep and open mind, be outgoing, but don't let anyone change who you are or what your standards are!
And lucky you! A school with a good art program? You're so lucky I would die to have that!!
My first day I had like, 3 close friends. And so we sat down at a table and then as the week went on we kept the table, and more of the kids we kinda knew a bit started hanging out with us. Eventually we all became pretty tight, and here we are now going into grad year, still mostly the same kids (though with major character development) and still sitting in our same spot in the corner of the cafeteria!!
Just sit back, relax! Be yourself because you want to make friends with the people who are like you--It's gonna be fun! Don't worry about friends, there's gonna be a ton of people!
I love highschool. Got amazing friends (and if you can, avoid drama. It makes life easier if you're not giving up your best friends for the sake of a simple fight!), and everyone's really nive once you get to know eachother!
And don't worry about boys -- TERRIBLY hard to do, but it's easier if they come secondly to your school work! Don't worry, love will work itself out eventually--and guys will like someone who doesn't constantly fawn over them!!  

viper_353

shedaisy1_purple

4,250 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:40 pm
High school fo me was great! I think you will fit in fine. Just join clubs, and don't slack. Then you will be fine.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:12 pm
Highschool is no big deal. I highly doubt it is THAT big. Sure it's bigger then what you are used to but you'll soon notice it's not bad. So what if you get lost the first few days. It's expected. I know I would go to the wrong class sometimes because I would forget what time it was or something. And you'll make friends but you have to wait until you meet them in your classes. Just make sure to talk.

Just you wait until college. Now that is the best.  

ALLIGAT0R TEARS

Familiar Fairy

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Invisibility 100

Emo Pankakes

Gracious Gekko

11,500 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:35 pm
Highschool is just... it's fun C:

I'm going to be a Junior this year and I've been loving going to school. You meet so many wonderful people and usually upperclassmen will be nice to the lost little freshmen (at least in my school they where)

and just remember, nothing is worse than tripping up the stairs your first day and taking a couple other kids with you (not that I did that my first day...... heh heh heeeehhhhh...... sweatdrop )

All high schools seem like a big scary place, but it's really like a mini version of the real world. You need to do your work and cooperate with others. You make new friends and learn so much about your self. Trust me, you will love it and make friends!!! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:08 am
[~+~]

Don't worry. I understand how daunting it can all be. D:
When i changed from Primary School to secondary the school was about ten times the size of our Primary school. xD;

There was 14 of us in our year group, and we were going up to one where there was almost 200.
I won't lie, i was pretty scared.

But, you have to remember, there will be someone else in the same boat as you. Just start talking to people in your classes, you'll soon get to know others and get in their social groups.
:3

If i'm being honest, i hated the first...good three years of what you guys call "high school" (i'm British by the way). But that's only because i left my old friends and got in with the wrong crowd, and kinda couldn't get out of it. The teachers always keep an eye on things though, which is good. But to be honest, by the time i turned 14, things had sorted themselves out. And now i'm doing Sixth form (British education system again, sorry! I'm 17 now, if that helps, going into my last year when i get back) i couldn't be happier with where i am. Everyone is happy with everyone else, and everyone's grown up and are over all the stupid childish things that had happened in the past. Trust me, you'll look back and think "why the hell did i do that?" or "how stupid was that?"

In short - just enjoy yourself and take things as they come. And never be afraid to talk to a teacher if you find yourself in trouble. It is better to raise your voice before something becomes out of hand. :3

User Image

Empty Spiral

Im A Little Pea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:37 am
Every high school is different.
But any way, in it there are always young people who just want to make friends and have fun, the fact everyone already knows someone shouldn't bother you. People have more than one friend in school.
Be nice, smile, talk to people and try to have fun. That's what being young is all about. (: You'll find your place, everyone is lost at first. But everyone goes through it as well.

High school can be tons of fun. I have great memories of crazy and funny things my friends and I did; every time I see them there the "OH! Remember the time when..." story, you get to be somewhat a kid and somewhat an adult. It's a great time. Avoid drama and stupid people and do what's good for you.
You're going to have a blast.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:20 pm
You sound a lot like me when I first started my new high school. I chose my school because of their college prep program, and I can relate with being intimidated by it being a smart school and big and everything. But anyway.

My first week sucked. I didn't know anyone except one guy that I hate, everyone already seemed to be friends, and I sat alone at lunch all the time.

Then in the second week I realized something; I was purposely isolating myself and acting scared, so most people weren't approaching me. I sat down on some random tables at lunch until a few days later I met the girls who I would eat lunch with every day for the next two years. I spoke up to a boy in my biology class I thought was cute and he became my best friend, later my boyfriend. I turned around before English class every day and talked to the girl behind me, who ended up staying a good friend all these years.

The point is, you need to muster the courage to be friendly, even if it's hard. I've been in your shoes, and even if you're the type of person who is normally outgoing I know that being thrown into a situation where you don't know anyone is extremely intimidating. Even if what you're doing doesn't get you instant friends, trust me, it'll soon start to work. Or hey, maybe you WILL get an instant friend. Results may vary.

But like other people said, join clubs, join teams, you'll find your own little niche. And who cares if everyone else is smarter than you? I went from being number 3 in my old school to number 40 at my new school. I'm friends with people who are numbers 2 through 410 in our class of 450. Sure you might not be the brightest student in the class, but just remember that as long as you're doing your best and you know that you're smart, then screw the numbers. Or hey, maybe you'll end up being in the top five. That's cool too. But trust me, either way, it won't effect how you make friends, so don't stress too much over a number.

So, this is getting pretty long... but I just want to tell you good luck. It's going to be really rough at first, but it's going to be wonderful afterward.  

MiaIkumis#1Fan

Dapper Dabbler

7,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gaian 50
  • Beta Gaian 0

PuellaSumDei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:58 pm
k well finding my friends on the huge campus was easy, because us freashmen dont even have classes in other buildings...Bullies are not even a thought, everyone stays with their little groups of friends. If you know people from your old school, thats just easier~

Ohh, and my HS's food is better than my middle schools....so thats another ^  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:05 pm
My first day of high school was in the middle of their first week. I went on a cruise so I got back late, then I went to the wrong class and fell asleep. But freshman year is fun! Not like sofmore year....That stinks. But now, I'm a senior.....yea... cool Class of 2011!  

Cerberus0.4

5,900 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Critic 0
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items