Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
anglo-saxon? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arden Deschain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:45 pm
So, discussing with a good friend of mine how I'm having a hard time finding what I'm pulled to, he suggested that I look into the anglo-saxon gods, as most of my family is British (my uncle was the first on my dad's side born in the US). I'm looking into it on my own, but if anyone else has any suggestions on this, such as sites or books to check out, or just advice in general, I'd be much appreciative!

Many thanks.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:06 pm
I am curious about something.

Why do you feel your ancestral heritage would determine where you are being pulled?  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Arden Deschain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:34 pm
I'm not saying it does. It's something I'm looking into. I can't really decide on if it does or doesn't if I know nothing about it. Informed decision making. He and I were talking about his gods, and while I like them very much, I don't feel pulled to them. and as the Anglo-Saxon pantheon has similarities to the Norse, it's something to look into. Which is why I asked if anyone had ideas of a good place to start, rather than if there were any others of the same blood.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:13 pm
I'm a bit confused.

Are you looking for that which is drawing you in?  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Mako Shikure

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:32 pm
Personally, I don't think there is any pulling going on currently. From what I understand, Arden simply wants to find a path he might be pulled to and so they took a suggestion from a friend based on their ancestry. Which, I do not think is a bad suggestion because I find going back to your roots and understanding your ancestor's culture to be rather important.

More on topic, I sadly do not know of any helpful sources for you to start your research on, Arden.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:50 pm
Yes. I am looking for more information on Anglo-Saxon paganism to see if it resonates with me. However, before making a choice to dedicate myself to a path, I want to know as much about it as possible. I don't currently feel a pull any which way yet, so naturally, I'm looking.  

Arden Deschain

Mako Shikure

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:54 pm
Arden Deschain
Yes. I am looking for more information on Anglo-Saxon paganism to see if it resonates with me. However, before making a choice to dedicate myself to a path, I want to know as much about it as possible. I don't currently feel a pull any which way yet, so naturally, I'm looking.

And that is a very responsible thing to do. It is very good to hear that, before choosing a path that you may not be really into, you are willing to find out as much about it beforehand so that you will know whether or not you are truly interested in following that path.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:08 am
Since most of the information on anglo-saxon paganism is lost... once again, so am i.  

Arden Deschain

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:28 am
Did you try "googling" Anglo-Saxon paganism?

There is the wiki page, which if nothing else gives you some references to check out.

There's this site as well, but I make no claims as to the accuracy/validity of the info on it.

Either way they can be jumping off points for further research.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:23 am
Ah. I'm sorry. I see where the confusion came from.

I thought when you said "I'm having a hard time finding what I'm pulled to" you were already having feelings of being drawn to something but you were having trouble identifying them. It confused me because I didn't understand why someone who isn't being drawn to something specific would seek to explore only one pantheon instead of searching through as many as possible to find what was calling them. My apologies.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Arden Deschain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:59 pm
too2sweet
Did you try "googling" Anglo-Saxon paganism?

If nothing else there is the wiki page, which if nothing else gives you some references to check out.

There's this site as well, but I make no claims as to the accuracy/validity of the info on it.

Either way they can be jumping off points for further research.

I did indeed google it and found that most of the reconstruction has to borrow heavily from Norse documentation. There is one group who has reconstructed it but... i don't know. If anything, I'd most want to talk to someone who follows it and see how they've gone about it, because since it requires MUCH reconstruction and I've never reconstructed a religion before. There is one book I found on it that was focusing on the reconstruction of the religion, which I may order.

And Brass Bell Doll, I'm not always the most articulate at times, or I construct sentences in ways that only make sense to me. I'm working on it, so no need to apologize for being confused!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:12 pm
Thank you for your graciousness.

I have another question: what about Reconstruction as a methodology appeals to you?  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Arden Deschain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:05 pm
Well, to be perfectly honest I'd rather not have to reconstruct it, for fear of doing something wrong. I'm just trying to find the one thats right for me, regardless of how whole it is. I don't know. I'm trying to find where I fit, maybe. *sigh*  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 pm
Don't loose heart.

I'm asking these questions so that I have a better idea where you're coming from. I feel that because everyone's path is different, asking questions and exploring the answers helps narrow the scope of the information so I don't waste your time with things that aren't right for you and my time by pulling out stacks of books that aren't useful to you. wink

Seeking the right path can take decades. Enjoy the stroll, it is what helps you get to your destination and I feel you'll be richer for it.

The main reason you are finding overlap between Norse Paganism and Anglo-Saxon paganism is because they descended from a common culture. In the same sense that Zeus was Zeus if you were in Sparta or Athens, Odin was Odin if you were in Germany or Norway. Pronunciations differed because of the dialects, but these are the same beings.

Later mythology sprang in England, but I'm not sure it could be called Anglo-Saxon anymore than I think you can call Ikea American. Does that make sense?  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:39 pm
A while ago I came across an Anglo-Saxon heathen forum on, I believe the BBC website. If I remember correctly, it was very active. Would something like that be helpful? I'm sure they have good link threads and such.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff