Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
-theannaclass-open for apps---------0/1 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

theannacracker

5,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:35 pm
User Image

I’ve been waiting a while to become a mentor in this guild, mostly because I have little time during the year to mentor anyone. Now, I will have the chance to take one mentee for the summer of 2010. Since there is only one slot, I want to give people enough time and opportunity to “apply”, so mentoring will start in June and go until August.

What I will help you with will be up to you. I can give you critiques and redlines, or I could develop a curriculum around your needs. I am open to teaching anything in my “strength” areas.
YOU MUST HAVE A SCANNER, PHOTOEDITTING SOFTWARE, PENCILS, AND A SKETCHBOOK TO APPLY.

Open for Applications
(until June 1st)

About me:

My Gallery

PST

I am currently an art student, studying 3D animation production. I’m going to be a Senior this fall. I’m also an art intern for a non-profit company in the summer.

In the past, I have developed the curriculum for a junior level animation course at my college. I taught the course over the summer of 2009, which covered basic drawing to 3D animation production. I have experience working with creative young people, and helping them through projects.

I love character design, painting, cute things, bad television, and tea.

Strengths:
Basic Drawing, Character Design, Digital Painting, Animation, Basic 3D animation production

Not so good at:
Technical Art (Rigging, Skinning, Special Effects), Comics, Photography, Graphic Design, Web Design.

Programs:
I expect that you have your programs that you plan on using BEFORE I start mentoring you. Free programs are fine, but I will only be able to give you artistic advice if I’m not familiar with it.

Photoshop 7.0-CS4 (adv.), Flash(int.), Maya(int.), 3DS Max(int.), ZBrush(int.), Mudbox(eh), Corell PainterX(eh), Shi Painter Pro (lol), After Effects(eh), Combustion, toon boom, etc(ask)

Is this for me?

We’ll work great together if:
-You have lots of free time to devote to art
-You’re thinking about pursuing a career in art, or you’re a serious hobbyist
-You are open-minded to new ways of drawing
-You have wants that fit my qualifications

People who should think before they apply:
-Full-time college students
-People who work full time
-If you aren’t serious about art, or learning about art
-Close-minded and stubborn (We’ll butt heads)

Form:

*=Required

[b]*Username:[/b]
[b]*Online Gallery:[/b]
[b]About yourself:[/b]
[b]Why are you interested in being mentored?:[/b]
[b]What specific field/area are you interested in working in? (ex: concept art, basic drawing, overall improvement, etc):[/b]
[b]How much time do you have to give to your art?:[/b]
[b]*Timezone:[/b]

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:38 pm
Applications received thusfar:

Wispered

oOllamaOo

Aellos

CrackRamen

x Varda x

eclectic rhapsody

Sera Michaelis

analsaurus erekshun

The Savage Beauty

EversorDeus

theannacracker

5,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100

theannacracker

5,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 pm
Critique and other Goodies

Not interested in becoming my mentee for the summer, or didn't make the cut? No problem. I offer advice and critique to those who ask.

As I create lessons for my mentee, I will definitely post them here as well. They might not be specific to you and your needs, but they might just help you, who knows.

To receive a quick critique from me, fill out this lovely form and post it here:

[b]Image link:[/b]
[b]What medium you used (ex- graphite on sketchbook paper):[/b]
[b]How long it took you:[/b]

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:43 pm
Awesomesause!

This thread is officially open for apps! Don't be shy.  

theannacracker

5,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:56 am
Kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity.

*Username: oOllamaOo
*Online Gallery:Link There's not much in there right now ._. I'm working on something that will be done in the next week that is more the direction I want to go in than anything else. Most of my gallery is doodles and the like, as with school full time up until now I haven't had time to do much. (The WIP of the one I'm working on is Here But it's just a general outline so far.)
About yourself:Well, I'm 16, I live in Canada, I've always kindof doodled on the side while waiting for my school to actually let me take art, but that never happened, so a few months ago I bought myself a sketchbook and some pencils, all that, and started to attempt to teach myself. I think I need a little instruction on where exactly to go to improve, at the moment I'm just observing people when I can, and then drawing, hoping for an improvement.
Why are you interested in being mentored?: 'Cause I stalk you all over the AD, and over the summer I planned to SERIOUSLY improve my art (How convenient :b). It's what I've been waiting for for awhile, as I'm finishing my last year of high school, and my exams actually end this month <3
What specific field/area are you interested in working in? (ex: concept art, basic drawing, overall improvement, etc): Overall improvement, mainly. I need to work on anatomy (Although I think I'm improving a little!) and probably some basics ><
How much time do you have to give to your art?: All the time in the world. Seriously, unless work suddenly changes my hours from 7 a week to like 30 a week, which They won't because they just cut back hours, I will be drawing all day everyday. (:
*Timezone:PST

User Image----- Angelic Minis: 2.5mil/80mil----User Image

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:28 am
Thanks for applying llama! heart  

theannacracker

5,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100

Wispered

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:21 am
*Username: Wispered
*Online Gallery: http://wisp.deviantart.com/gallery Pretty empty
About yourself: I'm passionate about art and totally bummed that I have absolutely no clue as to what I'm doing. I've been drawing seriously for...a few years now, though the degree of seriousness has changed (grown) as time went on. I'm applying to ACAD for the Winter semester with plans on taking drawing and painting as well as trying my hand at glass work, ceramics and something else as yet to be decided.
Why are you interested in being mentored?: I need direction and someone who can tell me what I need to learn and how to go about doing it.
What specific field/area are you interested in working in? (ex: concept art, basic drawing, overall improvement, etc): Overall improvement really, but I do love me some concept art
How much time do you have to give to your art?: Tons. I work part-time. I'm moving across the country soon, but that'll actually free-up some time and won't take more than a couple days. But definitely a couple hours a day.
*Timezone: Central but Mountain by June if all goes well  
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:30 pm
Not quite sure I'll make it- but I really would love to learn from you. So I should try.

*Username: Aellos
*Online Gallery: DeviantART
About yourself: I'm a nursing student, but I've given it thought, and while I don't plan to make it my career, I plan on learning and taking as many classes as I can afford/muster/have time for that aim towards art. I even hope that I can do serious art on the side. So take me as a serious hobbyist I suppose? So far, I've taken a drawing class, and I'm currently in a sculpture class (college classes).

EDIT: And I'm open minded. I take critique well. And I don't mind my work being ripped apart. biggrin

Why are you interested in being mentored?: As I said above, art is a passion of mine, and I would love to learn more. There's something I love in drawing the human body (maybe it's why I'm in nursing?), but I want to branch much further than just character design.
What specific field/area are you interested in working in? (ex: concept art, basic drawing, overall improvement, etc): Anything and everything. I want to improve on character design. Learn more about the basics...anything I can get. biggrin
How much time do you have to give to your art?: All day Monday, Wednesday and Friday. After 6-7 on Tuesday and Thursdays, and before 2:00 on weekends. Personally, it feels like tons of time. DX
*Timezone: Eastern USA  

rnage bomb

Romantic Lunatic

stellord

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:42 pm
*Username: CrackRamen .
*Online Gallery: [x] Some of the things are unrelated to what I draw . sweatdrop
About yourself: I am a full-time student, currently . I've taken anatomy classes and classes focused on using pastels to draw . I strive to produce better digital art .
Why are you interested in being mentored?: I want to be able to draw better . I'd like to be able to draw in areas I don't usually draw or practice . Hopefully, I will be able to absorb new ideas and techniques like a sponge .
What specific field/area are you interested in working in? (ex: concept art, basic drawing, overall improvement, etc): I'm interested in improving in anatomy, as well as shading/colouring/positioning . I'm also interested in face/portrait drawings, for I am not "good" at drawing faces and such .
How much time do you have to give to your art?: I have lots of time- I don't have school in the summer nor do I work during the summer .
*Timezone: Pacific .

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:30 am
*Username: x Varda x
*Online Gallery: http://moonlove.deviantart.com
About yourself: Art is my hobby and not a career aspiration. I used to draw a lot but over the past few years it has kind of tapered off to sketches and doodles that are never seen by anyone but myself. Apart from drawing, I like to write stories and poetry. My other hobbies involve reading and playing video games.
Why are you interested in being mentored?: I would like to receive critique on how I can improve my artistic skills. I think a devoted mentor would be better than waiting to see if I get constructive comments at a website like DeviantArt.
What specific field/area are you interested in working in? (ex: concept art, basic drawing, overall improvement, etc): I would like to show overall improvement in basic drawings.
How much time do you have to give to your art?: Right now I have a part time job, so I will have a lot of time to devote to it. Although it'll probably be mostly in the evenings.
*Timezone: Eastern  

x Varda x

eclectic rhapsody

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:11 pm
*Username: eclectic rhapsody
*Online Gallery:
Deviantart, Conceptart Sketchbook (not updated since April. D: ), Fledgeling Sketchblog (Still a newborn. Only one post so far.)

About yourself: Well, I'm more or less not sure what I want to be doing. I started art school last year, so I'm currently a part time sophomore, and I'm not sure what I want to do exactly. I am a girl with a boy avatar and I live on the East Coast. United States, naturally.

Why are you interested in being mentored?:

Well...my school is big on interpretive chit-chat, kind of small on in-depth critique so I really think that a supplement to that in the form of a person that sticks around/isn't a fly-by commenter would be nice. I really want to improve, and I want to try as many different things as I can in order to improve.

I also see that you're in college as a senior, and I think that it would be really nice to have an older/more experienced student to talk to for the sake of perspective and similarly beneficial things.

What specific field/area are you interested in working in? (ex: concept art, basic drawing, overall improvement, etc):

First and foremost, overall improvement. Secondly, I'd really like to get a solid handle on digital painting. I've been dabbling in it, but it still doesn't come nearly as naturally to me as cell shading. I've gotten critical feedback on character designs all of once in my life, so there's definitely that, and I also think it would be nice to have someone to check over my anatomy. I'm currently trying to learn how to animate in Toon Boom 4.5, and I feel that it is my duty to relearn Flash. Help in those departments would be quite lovely.

How much time do you have to give to your art?:
A lot. I can guarantee at least an hour a day, but it can easily be and usually is more than that. I currently only work part-time.

*Timezone:
Eastern. But my sleep schedule is really messed up.

...And thank you kindly for taking a gander at my application.  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:58 pm
*Username:Sera Michaelis

*Online Gallery:deviantArt

About yourself: I'm 18 years old, and entirely self-taught. Because of that, I know that I have a lot to learn, and I'm now trying to study the basics that I foolishly glossed over when I was younger. I know that there's little point in building on a wobbly foundation. Comics, animation, and video games are what got me interested in drawing in the first place. It was only after I introduced myself to visual art that I realized I enjoy all types of art, and wanted to learn more. I pretty much do traditional art, though I plan to get into more digital work, because I know it's important if i ever want to work in the arts (I intend to enroll in an Illustration program eventually.) I don't yet have a "style", but I know it's too early for me to worry about that. I dabble in some cartoony stuff for fun, but I've been focusing on realism and life studies recently.

Why are you interested in being mentored?: I think I may improve faster and avoid silly mistakes if I have guidance. Having never taken a class, I have to wonder what I'm missing out on. Having a reliable and skilled person to keep me on the right path can only be good for my artistic development.

What specific field/area are you interested in working in? (ex: concept art, basic drawing, overall improvement, etc): I want to get better at foundational areas like figure drawing and color theory. I also want to gain skill in digital media and traditional media aside from ink and pencil (my comfort zone.) My long-term goal is to draw comics and other illustrative work.

How much time do you have to give to your art?: All the time I need-I don't have classes this summer, and I don't think I'll be finding a job. ;_; So I really have a lot of free time. I've put aside all other hobbies to devote my time to drawing.

*Timezone: Eastern USA

Sera Michaelis

Fashionable Shopper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

shins gf

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:34 pm
*Username: analsaurus erekshun
*Online Gallery: http://www.gaiaonline.com/journal/?mode=view&post_id=31275957
About yourself: I'm 17 years-old, a junior in highschool, and I have LOTS of free time during summer break. I will once in a while buckle myself down and practice drawing realism, but I get frustrated easily and start drawing anime again. I want to break that cycle.
Why are you interested in being mentored?: I want to have a better grasp on drawing realism rather than struggling with anime.
What specific field/area are you interested in working in?: Basic drawing, but I want to become a storyboard artist some day.
How much time do you have to give to your art?: A lot during summer break. My summer break starts June 22nd.
*Timezone: Pacific  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:02 pm
Oh boy! I've been waiting for something like this from you!

*Username: The Savage Beauty

*Online Gallery: I've got a few of my works on Deviantart. If you want to see more I can link you to my album on Facebook, although I haven't gotten around to uploading some of my newer stuff yet (which are mostly sketches). What I need to do is take a day to set up one of those portfolio sites on dA, and throw all my s**t into one place. Sooo, if I ever get around to doing that, I'll be sure to link you up. ; )

About yourself: Well, I'm nineteen, and I've been interested in art since I first picked up a pencil (super cliché, but it's the truth). I was pretty terrible until about grade twelve, when I started to take things a little more seriously and began to accept the fact that I wasn't an art god and that I would actually have to focus on improving if I ever wanted to get better. I'm nowhere near where I want to be (I don't think any artist ever is), and I have a looong way to go before I can even come close to regaining the confidence I had three years ago (when I was completely clueless, yet totally full of myself). I'm strictly a traditional artist at the moment, although I plan to dabble in the digital world once I can afford a tablet. I'm looking to expand my subject matter. For as long as I can remember, I've focused entirely on humans (namely females). Despite that, I still don't have the female form mastered. I'm terrible at full-bodies, and have trouble making the figure look more 3D. Even when using a reference, my women don't look very realistic. They look stylized, which is not something I'm ready to develop yet. I'd like to be able to draw believable and realistic men and women, and also want to dip my toes into other areas such as animals and backgrounds (urban, rural, indoor, outdoor, etc). I'd also like to learn more about lighting. I know a few general things, but I don't fully understand reflected light, or where to place it.

Why are you interested in being mentored?: I've taken multiple art courses in school from grade eight through to grade twelve, but none of them really helped me. The course was more focused on getting you to explore all the mediums - it didn't actually teach me anything. So really, I'm just looking for some serious guidance. I have so much to learn, but no one to teach me.

What specific field/area are you interested in working in? (ex: concept art, basic drawing, overall improvement, etc): All of the above. I'm eager to improve and want to know all there is to know. I'm particularly interested in composition (how to make the eye go where you want it to), gesture drawings, body language, and life drawings. I want to know how to go about drawing from a live model, because I am very meticulous and tend to spend a lot of time ensuring all the lines are perfect, and somehow manage to lose the emotion and personality of the subject at hand. I also can't ever get the faces to actually look like them, which is frustrating and a wee bit embarrassing.

How much time do you have to give to your art?: In the summer, perhaps one or two hours a day? I'd like to have more time to give, but it's possible I'll be working full-time (I know you aren't looking for someone who is working full-time, but I'm serious about my art and don't want to lose sight of what I actually enjoy doing. Having a mentor would help give me the extra initiative to actually start drawing more frequently, rather than putting it on the back shelf). Weekends are obviously a different story, and I'm willing to devote 5+ hours, depending on the weekend.

*Timezone: Pacific (West Coast of Canada).

The Savage Beauty

EversorDeus

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:54 pm
*crosses fingers*

*Username: EversorDeus

*Online Gallery: Deviant Art. Not much there right now though since I don't upload sketches and I tend to have a lot of unfinished things around.

About yourself: I am an old lady by Gaia standards (25). I started drawing because of anime, and it still shows, much to my dismay. I took a year and a bit of Fine Arts at a local university but it didn't work out (the majority of the professors there didn't think much of commercial art and illustration. I have little to no interest in hanging my work in an art gallery. I would like a stable job in the industry). I learned what I could from it though, and I'll be starting at a new school in September. I take criticism very well, and don't mind being told bluntly what I need to do/not do. I like to use commas.

Why are you interested in being mentored?: I've seen your work and I'm really impressed with your form, colour, and the completely-alien-to-me world of reflected light and colour. All are things I need a lot of help with. There is so much I need to learn, and I'm already behind most of the people getting into the field because of my year (technically 2 years, though my 2nd was only one class) at a school not suited for me. Critique is something I really need and don't get much of.

What specific field/area are you interested in working in? (ex: concept art, basic drawing, overall improvement, etc): Undecided. All of those sound good though, especially the 'overall improvement' part. I guess illustration, but that's pretty general.

How much time do you have to give to your art?: A few hours a day? I work 4 days a week, evenings/nights. I will be moving in Mid July, but once I'm set up there I will be almost completely free for art until school starts. I hope to use that time to catch myself up with some of the younger kids.

*Timezone: Central Daylight Time? (UTC/GMT -6 hours) ... I totally just googled 'time zone winnipeg manitoba' to find that out.  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff