Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Closed Culture Pantheons Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CilverCyanide

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:18 pm
I've noticed that there seem to be a lot of pantheons that polytheists who draw from more than one pantheon cannot worship.

As an eclectic, I'm curious which ones are considered "Offlimits" to those who draw from many different cultures.

Also, what pantheons is it bad taste for a polytheist who draws from many cultures to worship? (Ex. The Native American deities without proper understanding of that culture)

What guidelines should I follow when I want to look into different pantheons? For example, what exactly should I be researching before I form a bond with a deity?

Is it looked down upon to jump from culture to culture when worshipping various deities?

Of course I'd like to add that I'm not the type to "Force" Deities to fit my belief system. (Ex someone picking two deities from different cultures to be their images of the Lord and Lady) nor am I the type to call upon deities like Pokemon. I do my reasearch before hand to properly worship that deity.

I just want to know so I don't offend a culture, person, or deity.  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:11 am
I jump between different religions. It's okay to do so as long you're respecting that culture and not violating any taboos. I don't make oaths to deities within different traditions except if I have a close affiliation to them. And I don't mix deities, unless they have agreed to do so.

The Native Americans had a multitude of different belief systems and pantheons. The Lakota are not fond of "outsiders" worshiping their deities and using their ceremonies and rituals, while local Anishanabe groups where I am are okay with letting non-Native groups participate.

Wicca's pantheon is closed because frankly, no one knows who they are unless they are initiated.

The kami of Shinto are closed off to non-Japanese. The gods of the Gael are closed off to those who aren't born and raised in that culture.  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:22 am
Wrath of Ezekiel
Wicca's pantheon is closed because frankly, no one knows who they are unless they are initiated.
Even if the Wiccan gods make themselves known to the uninitiated?

Wrath of Ezekiel
The kami of Shinto are closed off to non-Japanese.

Why have you drawn this conclusion?

Wrath of Ezekiel
The gods of the Gael are closed off to those who aren't born and raised in that culture.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't make a great deal of sense. Could you explain this to me?  
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:30 pm
Thanks.
I'm curious if there's any restrictions with worship of Aztec or Mayan deities? I don't think I've ever heard of a Pagan worshipping those deities (Or rather, I should say worshipping those pantheons exclusively. I've heard names here or there being used in place of the typical Lord and Lady as well as in oracle decks and deity glossaries but I'm not sure if they did proper research. )  

CilverCyanide

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:57 pm
Brass Bell Doll

As you were, I was

Unless you're Wiccan you won't know if they are the actual Wiccan Gods or not.

As I am, you will be

Brass Bell Doll
Wrath of Ezekiel
The gods of the Gael are closed off to those who aren't born and raised in that culture.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't make a great deal of sense. Could you explain this to me?

As you were, I was

Because the Gael gods made an oath to their people that only those that are born there and live there can worship them. The gods are tied to the air, land, and sea.

As I am, you will be

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:00 pm
CilverCyanide
Thanks.
I'm curious if there's any restrictions with worship of Aztec or Mayan deities? I don't think I've ever heard of a Pagan worshipping those deities (Or rather, I should say worshipping those pantheons exclusively. I've heard names here or there being used in place of the typical Lord and Lady as well as in oracle decks and deity glossaries but I'm not sure if they did proper research. )
As you were, I was

Considering there really isn't much known about them (that I'm aware of) it would be a bit hard to worship them.

Most of the information about the Aztecs and Mayans was destroyed by the Spanish when Cortez went through the area all those years ago. There is very little information left about them, their gods, and their ceremonies. We know some things, just not a lot.

As I am, you will be

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:22 pm
Calelith
Because the Gael gods made an oath to their people that only those that are born there and live there can worship them. The gods are tied to the air, land, and sea.

Where does it say this?  
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:38 pm
Bastemhet
Calelith

Where does it say this?
As you were, I was

Do I really need to drag that poem out again?

As I am, you will be

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

CilverCyanide

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:31 pm
Calelith
Bastemhet
Calelith

Where does it say this?
As you were, I was

As I am, you will be

I'd like to read it, if you wouldn't mind. 3nodding I enjoy poetry. And thanks for the info on the Aztecs and Mayans. It makes a lot of sense now why I don't see a lot about them.  
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:34 pm
CilverCyanide
Calelith
Bastemhet
Calelith

Where does it say this?
As you were, I was

As I am, you will be

I'd like to read it, if you wouldn't mind. 3nodding I enjoy poetry. And thanks for the info on the Aztecs and Mayans. It makes a lot of sense now why I don't see a lot about them.
As you were, I was

God now that you want it, I can't find it
gonk

As I am, you will be

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

CilverCyanide

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:43 pm
Calelith
CilverCyanide
Calelith
Bastemhet
Calelith

Where does it say this?
As you were, I was

As I am, you will be

As you were, I was

God now that you want it, I can't find it
gonk

As I am, you will be

User Image

I know the feeling. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:20 pm
Bastemhet
Calelith

Where does it say this?

There are a few threads floating around that have mention of it, I don't know if we ever got a specific passage or not...

Celtic Religions?

Oath made by the Gods of the Gael

Gael?

My understanding is that the oath is only binding to a certain set of those Gods, but which ones is debatable.  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:03 pm
too2sweet
Bastemhet
Calelith

Where does it say this?

There are a few threads floating around that have mention of it, I don't know if we ever got a specific passage or not...

Celtic Religions?

Oath made by the Gods of the Gael

Gael?

My understanding is that the oath is only binding to a certain set of those Gods, but which ones is debatable.

I have seen those. I started the second one, actually. :3

Specifically I'm looking for whatever literature, a quote that has been translated from Gaelige to English, that shows the gods of the P-Celts do not recognize people who are not descended from and active participants in that culture. I'm also looking for a quote that shows that even if their gods did make a treaty with the people of that culture that that necessarily means to the exclusion of people who are not of that culture. I've searched through all the threads I could and have still not seen a specific quote, just a mention of "in this book somewhere."

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask specifically what the quote is (or even the page number) as telling someone who they can and cannot worship is touchy in North American culture, and I'm accustomed to claims being backed up by evidence. It would be nice if I could just take someone's word for it, but anybody can pose as anything they want on the internet, and because of that I need something a little more direct, like the primary source in which it's quoted.  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:13 am
I think the oath is contained in this passage, though I'm not completely sure exactly which part. I don't know what thread I got it from either, it was just in my bookmarks under "oath to the Gael". sweatdrop  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:17 am
Calelith
Brass Bell Doll

As you were, I was

Unless you're Wiccan you won't know if they are the actual Wiccan Gods or not.

As I am, you will be
Someone who is Initiated may be able to provide guidance on that matter, such as Deborah Lipp, since she and other Third Degree Wiccans extend the title to those who aren't initiated if they meet certain requirements.

Calelith
As you were, I was

As I am, you will be

I would like to see the source of this, thank you. If it is what too2sweet has provided, I am not seeing anything that states people who aren't born and raised as Gaels couldn't worship those gods.

And to me, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyway, because of the role of Fostering in numerous different Celtic cultures- the Irish amongst them.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff