Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]
Potions [Lesson 4 up; due June 4th!] Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hyper Nerds Eat Cookies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:36 pm
Welcome to Potions

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Teacher:
Aria Goode [Ms. Goode to you students]

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:12 pm
Potions Rules

• Roleplay! It makes things fun!
  • Obey rules of Gaia & HPGoG when you post here
  • post in house colors. Even I am. I don't want to see things like Gryffindors posting in purple. No; Gryffindors in red, Hufflepuffs in orange/bolded black, Ravenclaws in blue, and Slytherins in green.
  • Show respect to the other students here, and me included.
  • Turn in everything by the time it is due. If it gets turned in late, it is worth half, which you should be thanking me for giving half credit. If I don't get homework from you, I will poke you about it until I've gotten it out of you. This does not apply to those who tell me that they won't be able to turn it for whatever reason they may have that does not fall under "I don't want to."
  • PM me the homework because I don't like cheaters.
  • If you have to drop the class for whatever reason, tell me somehow & provide me with why you have to drop it.
  • And please, have as much fun as you can in this class as long as you don't go haywire. This is just for fun, after all.

Hyper Nerds Eat Cookies

Hyper Nerds Eat Cookies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:01 pm
Joining this class

You just simply fill out the form below and post it here.

RP name:
House:
Year:
Class:
A couple sentences as to why you want to be in this class:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:20 pm
Class Lists

CLASS ONE
first years
Chissy - Chissy_Brown - Gryffindor
Crystal Quills - Crystal Of Quills - Slytherin
Kaylin Felle - kstar13 - Gryffindor

second years
Andrew Adler - Oshenukhar - Gryffindor
Sonas - stormysgirl13 - Slytherin
Rose Avery - FantasyAngel22 - Gryffindor

third years

-------------------------------------------------
CLASS TWO
fourth years

fifth years
Kamalia-Mingan Phelps - DownAzzLette - Slytherin

sixth years

seventh years
James Telemar - techpriest35 - Slytherin

Hyper Nerds Eat Cookies

Hyper Nerds Eat Cookies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:05 am
Blackboard

Lessons (current) [lesson 4 due June 4th] Final due June 4th
- clase uno [class one] -

"Okay students, the Boil-Cure Potion is an 'elementary potion' or as I like to refer to them, "cheap-o potions that can be very important in some situations and is probably a good thing to learn about when you are in your first/second/third year at Hogwarts."" She says with a quirky smile on her face. "And also, before things possibly get out of hand or you pass over it on your directions, Take The Cauldron Off The Fire Before You Add The Porcupine Quills. I don't want people getting a ton of disgusting boils, because that is what happens if you put the porcupine quills in and don't take the brew off the fire." Professor Goode puts a serious look on her face when she finished saying it, making sure everyone paid attention. "Well, I'll hand out your directions and you may begin then."

User Image

- clase dos [class two] -

"And now we are onto the Wit-Sharpening Potion. But, I kinda don't want you using this to get ahead in your other classes a whole lot, because you may seem smart at one point, then if you run out and aren't able to make any more of it, you could seem like a total dunce. So please, we are only making the potion today for classwork," the teacher says, half pleading to her students. "So if you don't mind, please swear it, you know, repeat after me: I, Professor Goode's students, solemnly swear that I will not take any of the Wit-Sharpening potion to excel in my many other classes I have so I can seem like a smarty-pants, upsetting the awesome Professor Goode." She smiles crookedly after the students swear it and moves on. "The Wit-Sharpening Potion is supposed to make the drinker think more clearly. That is why I didn't want you using it to be 'best in class'. Well, I guess I'll just hand out the instructions and such, then."

User Image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lessons (previous)
- clase uno [class 1] -

"Love Potions. They are possibly the most dangerous potions to come by, take Amortentia for an example. When you are under a love potion, you could do very very truly embarrassing things that could show your love toward the giver of the potion. If you let it just gradually wear off, the drinker most likely does not remember what he or she did. But, if the drinker takes an antidote for the potion to be gone, then the drinker does remember what they did and it seriously is quite embarrassing. Basically, the love potion is a brew or a philter that causes the drinker to become obsessed or infatuated with the giver of the potion.

"If you want to know how long a love potion lasts, the answer is that it differs from person to person. Without the antidote though, it lasts around 24 hours, though its duration varies depending on the weight of the drinker and attractiveness of the giver. And just so you all know this, love potions do not -- I repeat, do not -- create the actual feeling of love. It is more of an infatuation than affection. Love potions are commonly made with Ashwinder eggs, rose thorns, peppermint, and Moonstone though each kind of love potion requires more ingredients which vary from love potion to love potion.

"There are a couple sort of well-known examples of when a Love Potion has been created or used. Back in 1996, a shop called Weasley's Wizard Wheezes sold love potions, and according to the owners of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, they 'sold a whole range' of love potions. Another example would be back in the 1800s, where Laverne de Montmorency invented several types of love potions. And yet another example of when they have been used or created was also back in 1996, where Romilda Vane made a love potion that was meant for Harry Potter though Ronald Weasley had accidentally taken it instead. And the last example is that it is believed that Merope Gaunt gave Tom Riddle Sr., a wealthy muggle that lived in her neighborhood, a love potion.

"Now for the classwork... well, since Class 2 will be doing something with love potions, you could just join in with them."

~~~~

"Okay, students. This time we'll be working with a potion. Wiggenweld Potion to be exact. It is a healing potion with the power wake up someone in a magically-induced sleep. So, uh, let's just make sure you have all the ingredients and stuff..."

- One pint of Horklump juice
- 2 drops of Flobberworm Mucus
- 7 Chizpurfle fangs
- Billywig sting slime
- A sprig of mint
- Boom Berry juice
- One stewed Mandrake
- Drops of Honeywater
- Sloth brain Mucus
- Moondew drops
- Powdered root of asphodel
- Shredded dittany
- Wiggentree bark
- Moly petals
- Salamander blood
- 10 Lionfish spines

"Okay then. Got everything? Good. You may begin making the potion."

(AKA: classwork is to roleplay making the potion, then "turn it in" in a small glass vial. No one can be perfect, so don't go all crazy "So-and-so made the perfect batch of Wiggenweld Potion then turned it in perfectly to Professor Goode." No, there will be none of that.)

- clase dos [class 2] -

Aria Goode writes a single word up on the blackboard that reads 'Amortentia'. "Now I am sure you have all heard of Amortentia, the strongest love potion in the world. It causes a very powerful infatuation with the drinker. It has a distinctive mother-of-pearl sheen, and if you look carefully the steam rises in characteristic spirals. Everyone who smells it finds a different aroma, smells that remind the drinker of things they are attracted to. An example would be that for Hermione Granger (now Hermione Weasley) could smell freshly cut grass, new parchment, toothpaste, and," Professor Goode mumbles, "Ron Weasley's hair."

"Now I have a cauldron of the Amortentia right over here. For your classwork I want you each to come on up, and... kinda, smell it... and pretty much just tell us all what you could smell from the Amortentia. If whatever you smell is too embarrassing for you to bear, just write it down on some parchment and hand it to me. I will not shout it out or start talking about it with other people and start having a laughing fest. I solemnly swear that. So, uh, just go ahead and step on up to the cauldron of Amortentia."

"The Draught of Living Death is an extremely powerful sleeping potion. It can send the consumer into a deep sleep that mimics the state of death. And example of when this could have been used is when Juliet Capulet faked her death in the famous muggle play called Romeo and Juliet. Now, let's see if you've got the ingredients here..."

- crushed snake fangs
- moondew
- wormwood
- asphodel
- valerian roots
- 1 Sopophorous bean
- sloth brain

"Looks like we've got everything. You may begin working on the potion. Oh yes! If you want there to be a stronger effect, instead of stirring it counter-clockwise, you stir it seven times counter-clockwise and once clockwise. Now you can begin making the potion."

(AKA: classwork is to roleplay making the potion, then "turn it in" in a small glass vial. No one can be perfect, so don't go all crazy "So-and-so made the perfect batch of Draught of Living Death then turned it in perfectly to Professor Goode." No, there will be none of that.)

- for everybody! -

"Hello people, and welcome to your first lesson of potions. So you all know everything?" *complete silence & cricket chirps* "Well that's not very good... just er... copy these definitions and do your homework or something!"

Brew: a liquid mixture made by steeping, soaking, or boiling solid ingredients in water
concoction: a mixture of ingredients
draught: one serving, or a portion, of a potion
draft: same as a draught, but is drawn from a cask instead of a closed bottle
elixir: a sweetened, aromatic solution used as medicine
Philter: a potion designed to enchant or charm the drinker
Poison: a potion intended to cause harm or death to the drinker
Tincture: a benign medicine preserved in alcohol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homework (current) [due june 4th!]
- classe un [class 1] -

(1) What happens when you don't take the cauldron off the fire before adding the porcupine quills?
(2) Name two ingredients used to make a Boil-Cure Potion.
(3) What is the first instruction to make the Boil-Cure Potion?
(4) What is the last instruction to make a Boil-Cure potion?
(5) What type of potion is it? {hint: mentioned in one of my speech bubbles}

- classe deux [class 2] -

(1) What does the Wit-Sharpening Potion do?
(2) Finish this sentence: "...You may seem smart at one point, then if you run out and aren't able to make any more of it, you could seem like--"
(3) Name the ingredients used to make the Wit-Sharpening Potion.
(4) How long do you let the potion stand until it is ready?
(5) How many times to you mix in Armadillo Bile?

Homework (Previous)
- classe un [class 1] -

[lesson 3]
Pt. 1: short answer
(1) What happens if the drinker does take an antidote before the love potion wears off completely?
(2) What is a love potion?
(3) Roughly how long does a love potion last?
(4) What does the duration of a love potion depend upon?
(5) What are common ingredients found in love potions?
Pt. 2: fill in the blank
(6) "Back in ____, a shop called __________ sold a whole range of love potions."
(7) "Way back in the _____, ______________ invented several types of love potions."
(8 ) "And yet another example of when they have been used or created was also back in ____, where __________ made a love potion that was meant for Harry Potter though Ronald Weasley had accidentally taken it instead."
(9) "And the last example is that it is believed that ________ gave __________, a wealthy muggle that lived in her neighborhood, a love potion."
(10) "When you are under a love potion, you could do very very truly embarrassing things that could ___________________."

[lesson 2]
(1) Name one ingredient used to make the Wiggenweld Potion.
(2) How many Lionfish spines are needed to make the potion?
(3) What is the effect of the Wiggenweld Potion / what does it do?
(4) How much horklump juice do you need to make the potion/
(5) What type of potion is the Wiggenweld Potion? (AKA: poison, philter, healing, etc.)

- classe deux [class 2] -

[lesson 3]
(1) What is Amortentia?
(2) What does Amortentia do?
(3) What does Amortentia smell like? [Hint: trick question]
(4) What could Hermione Granger smell from the Amortentia potion?
(5) What is Amortentia's appearance?

[lesson 2]
(1) What does the potion do?
(2) What type of potion is it? (Hint: in the name of the potion)
(3) Name one ingredient to make this potion.
(4) What do you change in making the potion if you want a stronger effect?
(5) Name the example of when it could have been used.

- for everybody! -

(1) What is the difference between a draught and a draft?
(2) Based off of the definition of "brew", would every potion be a brew? Why or why not?
(3) Off of the top of your mind or any knowledge you have, name one example of a Philter or a Poison.
(4) Severus Snape once said that potions can "bewitch the mind, ensnare the senses, and even put a stopper in death." According to the definitions, is this statement true? Why do you think so?
(5) What did you think of this lesson? Was it completely unnecessary to you under any circumstance, or is it just one step onto making a potion? This is just some feedback, and you get a couple house points if you answer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:27 am
House Points

from lesson 1, "Definitions"
gryffindor: 10
hufflepuff:
ravenclaw: 9
slytherin: 37

from lesson 2 [class one, "Wiggenweld Potion"] (class 2, "Draught of Living Death")
gryffindor: 30
hufflepuff:
ravenclaw:
slytherin: 49

from lesson 3 [class one, "Love Potion"] (class two, "Amortentia")
gryffindor: 20
hufflepuff:
ravenclaw:
slytherin: 40

from lesson 4 [class one, "Boil Cure potion"] (class two, "Wit-sharpening potion")
hufflepuff:
ravenclaw:
slytherin: 20

from final
hufflepuff:
ravenclaw:
slytherin: 40

What everything is worth
- Classwork: 10 points
- Homework: up to 10 points
- Final: 20 points

Hyper Nerds Eat Cookies

Hyper Nerds Eat Cookies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:29 am
--

~ reserved ~  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:44 pm
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Sign-ups are now open until April 5th. No exceptions.

Just so you know:
- Class 1 is for first years through third years.
- Class 2 is for fourth years through seventh years.
- You must ALWAYS post in house colors. Any shade of it will do as long as it isn't blinding.

Hyper Nerds Eat Cookies

Oshenukhar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:19 pm
User Image RP name: Andrew Adler
House: Gryffindor
Year: 2nd
Class: 1
A couple sentences as to why you want to be in this class: I would like to know the correct way to brew potions and to be come skilled in the subject for my OWLS and NEWTS. It would not hurt to know how to brew certain potions, like antidotes when someone is poisoned.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 pm
RP name: Chissy
House: Gryffindor
Year: 1st
Class:
A couple sentences as to why you want to be in this class:
I want to learn tobrew potons not just for the effects that they cause but also what would of happen if they messesd up.

Chissy_Brown

Crystal Of Quills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:49 pm
RP name: Crystal Quills
House: Slytherin
Year: 1st year
Class: Class 1
A couple sentences as to why you want to be in this class: I love potions. I have an obsession with them. But, I don't know how to brew them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 am
RP name: Sonas
Year: 2nd
Class: Class 2
A couple sentences as to why you want to be in this class: I want to learn more about the fine potion arts. They would help me greatly in my career and right now. My parents expect the best, potions will help me become that.

Nite of Storms

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 am
RP name:james telemar
House:slytherin
Year:7th
Class:2
A couple sentences as to why you want to be in this class: cause potions is 1 of the core classes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:59 pm

User Image
Kamalia-Mingan walks into the classroom and signs up.

RP name: Kamalia-Mingan Phelps
Year: 5th
Class: Class II
A couple sentences as to why you want to be in this class: Because i love Potions. I love recreating new ones and trying to understand them.

DownAzzLette

12,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items