Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Pinch punch first day of the month. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gaulia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:40 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:36 am
Of all people, you shouldn't be mentioning pinching OR punching xp

As to things which only the British seem to say....a favourite from the WestCountry in particular....

"Where's it to?" Meaning, of course, "Where is it"

The number of people who used to look at me blankly when I used that particular colloquialism....gah! It's always made perfect sense to me.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Carbon Dioxide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:33 am
illyrianth

The number of people who used to look at me blankly when I used that particular colloquialism....gah! It's always made perfect sense to me.

I used to say that all the time, except to me it also could've meant "Where does this go". eek It was scary. I haven't a clue where I keep picking these things up from.

And Cockney rhyming is fascinating. n_n I heart it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:00 pm
I amuse my class by using British terms - simple words in everyday usage in England are immediately laughed at when mentioned in my class.

A mere 'Morning, mate!' will invoke a classroom of laughter xd  

Knightsedge
Crew

Gaulia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:45 am
illyrianth

As to things which only the British seem to say....a favourite from the WestCountry in particular....

Nor should you, which means you have no defense when I say that you and ;>> <<; SYD role play [Kinkily] as Mary and Joseph, because you're both that old and probably knew them both first hand. *Cough. Coughcoughcough*
ew, mental images.

=\ But that seems pretty clear to me, but I've generally thought of it the way Dana said it would mean, "Where does this go"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:12 am
Gaulia
illyrianth

Nor should you, which means you have no defense when I say that you and ;>> <<; SYD role play [Kinkily] as Mary and Joseph, because you're both that old and probably knew them both first hand. *Cough. Coughcoughcough*
ew, mental images.

=\ But that seems pretty clear to me, but I've generally thought of it the way Dana said it would mean, "Where does this go"

~blinks~ Are you SURE you are quite over that concussion? That didn't make any sense at all.... eek  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Gaulia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:37 am
illyrianth
Gaulia
illyrianth

ew, mental images.

~blinks~ Are you SURE you are quite over that concussion? That didn't make any sense at all.... eek

Funny you should say that, I wasn't quite then.
o_o
I can read that and laugh stupidly.
OMGWTFBBQ?
Wow. o.o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:02 pm
The word 'aye' meaning 'yes' is used in Scotland a lot, though I myself never really got into the habit. I do however use 'wee' as a substiture for 'little'. Anything else, I can't remember, except maybe this sentence: "I never did that." Meaning, of course, "I didn't do that."  

Tsamikayu

Tailos-teichou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:06 pm
Tsamikayu
The word 'aye' meaning 'yes' is used in Scotland a lot, though I myself never really got into the habit. I do however use 'wee' as a substiture for 'little'. Anything else, I can't remember, except maybe this sentence: "I never did that." Meaning, of course, "I didn't do that."

As a borderline Welsh/English guy, I'll add in too.

We use 'Aye' a lot, same with 'wee'. Scot slang is similar to Welsh, I guess. Then, of course, there's the good ol' stereotypical Rhonda valley talk. Accent included. "Aw-riiight, but-ty, 'ows it go--in'?"  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:31 am
Welsh people get too much flak I find, it never seems quite fair.  

Invictus_88
Captain

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:58 am
Tailos
Tsamikayu

We use 'Aye' a lot, same with 'wee'. Scot slang is similar to Welsh, I guess. Then, of course, there's the good ol' stereotypical Rhonda valley talk. Accent included. "Aw-riiight, but-ty, 'ows it go--in'?"

I have to admit, I also use the word "aye" quite frequently. It COULD be because my father is a Scotsman (although he sounds like a Janner through and through)...But then again, I use words which apparently are not in general use any longer. As an example, if someone where to say something I believed to be incorrect, unpleasant, inaccurate, or I merely suspected was an untruth....?

Fie! sir. I think not.

Apparently, very few people still use it, but it's a great word in my opinion. Better than responding to everything with the word "bollox"...~chuckles~ Yes, it IS the correct spelling, if you're an ex Plymouth High Girl. Trust me.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:21 am
'bugger'. I like that one. (:
'shite' - a peculiar, but strangely fulfilling, alternative pronunciation of a popular profanity.
'arse' - same as above. Spouted by that fine purveyor of hilarious catchphrases, father jack.

User Image

Oh, and did anyone know that the phrase 'Good-bye' is actually a contraction of the phrase 'God be with ye'? Seriously. Aha! wink

davidcrossfan06

Knightsedge
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:10 am
Fallen Down A Lift Shaft
'bugger'. I like that one. (:
'shite' - a peculiar, but strangely fulfilling, alternative pronunciation of a popular profanity.
'arse' - same as above. Spouted by that fine purveyor of hilarious catchphrases, father jack.

User Image

Oh, and did anyone know that the phrase 'Good-bye' is actually a contraction of the phrase 'God be with ye'? Seriously. Aha! wink

Aye, I use those three frequently! However, I only use 'aye' online. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:30 pm
Knightsedge
I amuse my class by using British terms - simple words in everyday usage in England are immediately laughed at when mentioned in my class.

A mere 'Morning, mate!' will invoke a classroom of laughter xd

haha. i used to call my friends ******** yanks. they didn't mind though. it takes alot to surprise these folks.  

MellowYetPsycho

MellowYetPsycho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:36 pm
Tailos
Tsamikayu

meh, for some reason i was never too fond of the word "wee". i like daft. and niggle. and bugger. among others..  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff