Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply Mad Hatter Chatter
The movie, the guild and Gaia Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:02 am
Something I've been thinking about recently. Because of the new Alice in Wonderland movie, will this guild get an influx of new members once the film is released in cinemas?

In reality, this is a good thing for the guild as it would mean more activity, however... there is a down side to this too. What if we end up getting a load of people who only like AiW because of the new movie?

Of course I'm excited about the movie myself, I want to watch it and I most likely will love it. Its just a thought I had, what do you guys think?

Also... will there be an impact on Gaia? I just checked the price of the Wonderland item, its practically doubled since the sponsorship started. At the time of writing this no one has it for sale for under 100k. Of course this will probably settle down again, but its interesting none the less, correct?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:15 am
Also... Kanoko's Dark Reflection has gone over 2mil in gold... o.o  

Azure Caterpillar

The Night Faery
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:48 am
You know, it had only crossed my mind maybe once, but now that you've brought it up I'm thinking you're absolutely right. Already we get plenty of requests from people who have only seen the Disney cartoon, or who only like American McGee's Alice, or who have only read The Looking Glass Wars-- essentially, people who only care about one take on the original story... (Of course there's absolutely nothing wrong with any of the aforementioned titles, it's just their most avid fans' separation from one another and from Carroll's books that makes it a little.. iffy.)

So, since this is sort of an all-things-AiW-encompassing guild, if interested members only like the new movie I reckon that's fine, even though it says smack on the front page (courtesy Renkotsu- I haven't changed the home page much, as you could probably tell) that the guild is technically honoring the original books.

Maybe I ought to make a special subforum for film adaptations. This would include the original cartoon, SyFy's two-parter, the new movie, &c... What would y'all think about that? 'Cause if you're right about the impending influx (which I'm pretty sure you are) then there will probably be a lot more threads about the movie. Gotta find somewhere to put them other than the home forum.

There's definitely an impact on Gaia already... Bad timing on my part, since I was starting my Wonderland MC spree for future prizes. I have like a hundred promo hats... (Figure not exaggerated.) Still working on Wonderlands, but I don't have a whole lot of gold left. In like three years I might be able to afford a Dark Reflection. Sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:57 am
I think the subforum idea is... a very good idea! I could post my huge amount of new movie info topics there instead. XD Or you know... compile it all into one topic...? o.o

I love the original books so much, but I also love certain adaptations. My favourite adaptation is actually Disney's animated movie, and I doubt that will change. So I'm not saying just liking one version is a bad thing, its just I'd like to know people at least appreciate Carroll's books I guess.

I only have one Wonderland... but I hardly ever use it because it doesn't go well with my avi... oddly enough.  

Azure Caterpillar

The Night Faery
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:07 am
Definitely with you there on the 'appreciation' thing... I mean, if someone likes a spin-off or film version better than either of the books, hey, to each his own-- but I hope if people start rushing into the guild, they at least know where their latest craze came from. XD

And I'm glad you think so, 'cause I'm pretty sure that's what I'm gonna do. It seems like the most logical option, since there are already a lot of threads. The question is, should I mix it with our TLGW subforum to encompass all spin-offs and adaptations, or should I make a separate subforum exclusively for film versions?

Haha, yeah, I gotcha. Even if you're an oversized caterpillar I don't think you could fit an entire cat on your head... I only have one Wonderland for this here avatar (I got it waaay back...) --I only managed to get two more before the prices shot through the roof, and I sent those over to the guild mule.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:15 am
Indeed, I've noticed some people who didn't even know AiW was a book first... no seriously, this is true. o_O

Hmmm, well its up to you, personally though I'd just have a whole adaptation forum, because guilds with too many forums confuse me and the forums sometimes become rather inactive when there's too many. In my experience anyways.

Oh I can get the kitteh to sit on my head, but he covers my antennae, and I do so love my antennae. XD  

Azure Caterpillar

The Night Faery
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:28 am
o_______o
Definitely scary. Like... wow.

I was leaning in the same direction, since (unfortunately) the Crystal Continuum is kinda stagnant at the moment.... Not enough people read the Looking Glass Wars books to have an entire subforum for it, I'm afraid.

Aw. I do so love your antennae as well! Perhaps not quite on the same level as you, since they're attached to your head and not mine, but they are rather fetching. ^-^

Edit: Slumber is beckoning. Good-night!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:32 am
Sounds good, then only general AiW talk belongs in the main forum if you make the subforum, yup?

Ah, thank you! Yes I am rather fond of them, they're quite fuzzy and cute I think. ^_^

Edit: Good night... er... Night? XD  

Azure Caterpillar

Alice Rahne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:50 am
I was actually thinking about this same thing as well, Azure. I actually have a couple of friends who claim they're so into it but have never read the books before, and much less have never known the books existed. I gave one of then a copy of just the first for Christmas and to be honest, I still don't think she's read it. =/ I'm all for more activity, but not if it means it's just more people who love Alice because of the movie and who only love the movie because they think that Johnny Depp and Tm Burton can do no wrong! D= My very own friends think like this. >_< I can't tell you how many times I've had to rant to the same people over and over again who supposedly "love AiW, it's so amazing, they love it" that it has nothing to do with drugs!! I thought people were past that like four years ago! Apparently not >_<

This is part of the reason I've been skeptical on the movie for so long and why I dislike society in general. They blindly follow whatever big modern trend is around and whatever has become mainstream popular. Like Alice has recently because of this movie.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I suggest changing the main part of the forum and the request form to ask for maybe specific details that are only in the original books or at least a good bit more of information when filling it out to actually see who would be able to contribute to the Guild or who would just be taking up space and getting in the way. Of course that would be up to Night Faery, and she might no be willing to go through such tedious things so often on her own. But it's a fair suggestion - that way we know right off the bat who is and isn't well versed in Alice in all it's originality.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 am
Yeah this is what I'm worried about too, but I wouldn't want this guild to restrict its members, I mean what if someone has watched the movie, and wants to join the guild to find out more about the original books? This seems perfectly fine with me.

Oh and don't get me started on how many people think AiW is about drugs, the book is phantasmagorical, not psychedelic. I think the Disney movie may contribute to the psychedelic take on AiW... even though that movie was made in the 50's and the term 'psychedelic' wasn't even around back then.

Though I do have to mention I like the psychedelic style that is sometimes attached to AiW (as I have said before), but I do not believe the book was about drugs. One of the main reasons this is often thought of is actually because of the Caterpillar... but guess what? Hookah's are for flavoured tobacco, so that argument is null and void.  

Azure Caterpillar

Sh0ur4i

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:06 am
Azure Caterpillar
Something I've been thinking about recently. Because of the new Alice in Wonderland movie, will this guild get an influx of new members once the film is released in cinemas?

In reality, this is a good thing for the guild as it would mean more activity, however... there is a down side to this too. What if we end up getting a load of people who only like AiW because of the new movie?

Of course I'm excited about the movie myself, I want to watch it and I most likely will love it. Its just a thought I had, what do you guys think?

Also... will there be an impact on Gaia? I just checked the price of the Wonderland item, its practically doubled since the sponsorship started. At the time of writing this no one has it for sale for under 100k. Of course this will probably settle down again, but its interesting none the less, correct?

*remembers back when she bought one for 40k to donate to someone's quest* Ah, good times. X'D

Now, if only I hadn't decided to wait to buy mine. D;

Azure Caterpillar
Indeed, I've noticed some people who didn't even know AiW was a book first... no seriously, this is true. o_O

Hmmm, well its up to you, personally though I'd just have a whole adaptation forum, because guilds with too many forums confuse me and the forums sometimes become rather inactive when there's too many. In my experience anyways.

Oh I can get the kitteh to sit on my head, but he covers my antennae, and I do so love my antennae. XD

eek

Azure Caterpillar
Yeah this is what I'm worried about too, but I wouldn't want this guild to restrict its members, I mean what if someone has watched the movie, and wants to join the guild to find out more about the original books? This seems perfectly fine with me.

Oh and don't get me started on how many people think AiW is about drugs, the book is phantasmagorical, not psychedelic. I think the Disney movie may contribute to the psychedelic take on AiW... even though that movie was made in the 50's and the term 'psychedelic' wasn't even around back then.

Though I do have to mention I like the psychedelic style that is sometimes attached to AiW (as I have said before), but I do not believe the book was about drugs. One of the main reasons this is often thought of is actually because of the Caterpillar... but guess what? Hookah's are for flavoured tobacco, so that argument is null and void.

It is rather shocking how many times I've heard people state that as fact. It started to get incredibly annoying after the third time.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:20 am
You can buy mine for 100k!

Though seriously the price for the Wonderland item will probably go down after a while. ^_^  

Azure Caterpillar

Irish Stout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 am
Don't worry about the item prices they'll go down once the fad is over. Though Wonderland will certainly go up over time like all MC's, if you don't mind waiting a bit it'll eventually head down again. If there's one thing Gaia is good for its reflecting fads and trends particularly in the teen age group.

What worries me about people joining because of the movie (or any movie version) is that they'll join be OMG!!!!111!!1!11!1!JOHNNYDEPTIMBURTON!111111!!!!TWILI- well very active and enthusiastic for say a couple months and then disappear as the fad goes out of popularity.

Even if people only join because of Johnny Depp I'm actually hopeful that we can get some of them interested in other adaptations or the original, so that doesn't bug me personally.

Regarding the forums I don't really like the idea of a "all adaptations" forum because wouldn't that include gaming and books and music as well? The first idea, a "film" forum I like. What if you did two forums - could hijack the anime/gaming forum and merge it with Looking Glass Wars for a gaming/book/manga/music/etc forum and then turn the Looking Glass Wars one into a film/anime forum? I could see problems with titles that are both anime and manga (Pandora Hearts for example) though... Then keep the main for general stuff and the original books?

I think Jefferson Airplane helped with the psychedelic too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:54 am
Okay yeah, point, but I love that song...

And I love the Disney movie...

Hmmm... but merging those would mean any video game talk etc. could go in with AiW game talk and such. o_O As that video game forum is for any games, not just Wonderland based. I still like the idea of all adaptation forum... just because too many forums gets a little annoying... to me anyway. XD  

Azure Caterpillar

Irish Stout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:02 am
Azure Caterpillar
Hmmm... but merging those would mean any video game talk etc. could go in with AiW game talk and such. o_O As that video game forum is for any games, not just Wonderland based. I still like the idea of all adaptation forum... just because too many forums gets a little annoying... to me anyway. XD

Ok for some reason when I was thinking my way through the earlier post I had the odd idea it was a AiW gaming only forum which of course makes no sense with the zombie thread. Must be tea withdrawal or something... I can see your point about an all adaptations forum and I completely agree about too many forums getting annoying. I feel similarly. I love zen and minimalism. My suggestion came from the worry that with all the possible influx of threads about the new movie any other form of adaptation might get buried. Take the Supernatural forum as an example:

Vampires
Talk about Vampires!
VAMPIRS R THEY REAL OR FAKE
El Chupacabra
VAMPIRSE!!!!!111!!
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
I saw Michael Jackson's Ghost!
DO U LOVE VAMPIRSES?!

Mad Hatter Chatter

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff