Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Paganism with mostly Wiccan Practices. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deorwynn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:00 pm
I know that the majority of my practices have been from the Wiccan Traditions. But knowing that Wiccan is lineage only it's kind of hard to place a name on my 'faith'. I don't want to be known as a "new ager" because I know how negative the connotation is.

However, I do feel that I am currently more "new ager" than Wiccan.

Hmmm.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:06 pm
Deorwynn
I know that the majority of my practices have been from the Wiccan Traditions.

Which ones? And how do you know they are Wiccan practices at all if you're not lineaged?

Quote:
But knowing that Wiccan is lineage only it's kind of hard to place a name on my 'faith'.

Eclectic Neopagan? Standing Stone (if you're of that trad)? Mystic of some sort or another?

Quote:
I don't want to be known as a "new ager" because I know how negative the connotation is.

Really? It is? Fluffy is negative, new age is something else.

Quote:
However, I do feel that I am currently more "new ager" than Wiccan.

What, exactly, are your beliefs that you feel that?  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 pm
You pretty much asked what I was going to ask Byaggha...now I just lurk.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:27 pm
Deorwynn
I know that the majority of my practices have been from the Wiccan Traditions.

What brought you to this conclusion and which books have you read?  

TeaDidikai

Deorwynn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:47 pm
The reason why I say Wiccan is simply because every book that I pull anything from is listed as... you guessed it, Wiccan. I tried to make somewhat of a difference by saying non-lineage wiccan because as far as I know none of the people writing the books I've read are wiccan.

I'm probably just assuming again. Or maybe just (still) confusing wiccan with witchcraft. But a lot of my practices include the polarity of the God and the Goddess (although, I've thought about just practicing with two Gods, but I felt the Goddess deserved her respect). And I want to use more structured rituals rather that spontaneous rituals. These containing, drawing the circle, calling the quarters, invoking deity, then -insert spell or whatever-, then everything in reverse.

I also have all the standard tools. Wand, Athame, Chalice, Pentacle and a few others. And that's where my 'new ager' comes in, because I tend to incorporate stones and what-not into my rituals.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:28 pm
Deorwynn
The reason why I say Wiccan is simply because every book that I pull anything from is listed as... you guessed it, Wiccan. I tried to make somewhat of a difference by saying non-lineage wiccan because as far as I know none of the people writing the books I've read are wiccan.

All those books fall under Eclectic Neo-Paganism. They aren't Wiccan, they can't be Wiccan.

Wicca is a religion that is full of mysterious and secrets. Only those initiated into A Lineaged coven can learn the secrets of Wicca.

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Deorwynn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:10 pm
Pagan-mutt it is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:14 am
Let me ask again.

Which books are you drawing from. Authors? Titles?  

TeaDidikai

Deorwynn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:59 am
A lot.

Sliver Ravenwolf (Only really use for information)
A J Drew
Christopher Penzack
Cunningham
D J Conway
Moura
Dianne Sylvan

and various others.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:21 am
Deorwynn
Don't. Ever. She's a known liar who advocates children using underhanded practices with their parents so they can continue to follow what she calls Wicca - which it isn't. Remotely.  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

Deorwynn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:35 am
Byaggha
Deorwynn
Don't. Ever. She's a known liar who advocates children using underhanded practices with their parents so they can continue to follow what she calls Wicca - which it isn't. Remotely.

Regardless of what she says or does her books do hold valuable information that I might not have in my other books. Not to mention her book of shadows is the most comprehensive book I have.

I'm not a child and I do not have children. Now, I understand it seems okay to bash her books and let everyone know she's a hack but that doesn't mean that nothing she writes about has any credibility. It's far far easier to open her BoS to find what exactly I'm looking for rather than opening 15 different books trying to find what I'm looking for.

Even though I am here and have questions, I'm not a Fluffy Bunny. I have already decided that I don't like the way she practices, and it wasn't because someone told me that she isn't Wiccan - I don't care about that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:54 pm
There is very little, and I stress the little part, of Raven's books that hold any credibility for Witchcraft, let alone Eclectic Neo-Paganism.

She is probably the worse source for anything, information being one of the top points.

You would have better luck in Buckland's/Cunningham's books.

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Deorwynn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:57 pm
Calelith
There is very little, and I stress the little part, of Raven's books that hold any credibility for Witchcraft, let alone Eclectic Neo-Paganism.

She is probably the worse source for anything, information being one of the top points.

You would have better luck in Buckland's/Cunningham's books.

I respect your opinion, but I think you're wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:12 pm
Why am I wrong?

Read these three websites, they are on Mama Silver:
{Article #1}
{Article #2}
{Article #3}

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Deorwynn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:42 pm
Okay, here is the stuff I'm talking about.

How to circle cast,
Cutting the door,
Calling Quarters,
Invocations and Evocations,
Tools,
Various practices such as meditation, chakras, health and healing, herbs,
Correspondences Color/Animals
Empowering objects,

Now, I have compared and contrasted some of her various other personal practices and all of which I have listed are fairly similar to just about what everyone else has to say about them. There maybe a few continuity issues, but I'm okay with that.

I am not looking at her book and taking her advice on what I should do if I have a friend with an eating disorder, nor do I have the time to scrutinize everything she has to say about this or that. If you take her personal opinions out of the book, it's very useful for the information inside.

Now, please, how about we discuss what the Original topic was about and get off the 'Ravenwolf isn't Wiccan' train. You don't have to keep defending the Wiccan name, I get it, you can only be Wiccan if you're initiated into a coven founded by the founder. Whatever, that's great.

On second thought, now that we've already decided that I am Eclectic Neo-Pagan we don't have to continue a discussion on this topic. Good day.

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff