Reply 13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature
Pit bulls? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alee Skellington

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:23 pm
Alright so, I have nothing against pit bulls. I find them a bit cute.
But, are they really that dangerous?
The reason I'm asking this, is because I just saw on the news that this pit bull started attacking this man's dogs, then bit his hand badly.
The owner was given a ticket, but they might "destroy" the dog, (they actually said destroy on the news).
Is this right? What's your opinion?
EDIT: This was in a dog park.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:30 pm
Pitbulls have more of an agressive self-defence. Back 3 years ago, I hated pitbulls for harming others. throught the years, I've learned that pitbulls are just more wild and more aggresive, just like some humans are. I believe that every animal has their reason now.

(Yep, Animals and Reptiles is right indeed. wink )  

ThornySinger

2,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:32 pm
Any dog is dangerous. Pitbulls are considered more so because they have a locking jaw--like a shark. But raised with care and love they are like any dog, and pretty much a big, friendly couch potato...especially if they are fixed.

Honestly in my opinion chihuahua are more dangerous...those little things are meeeeean.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:31 pm
Hester Peche
But raised with care and love they are like any dog, and pretty much a big, friendly couch potato...especially if they are fixed.
I agree with that. But the news showed an interview with a lady, and she said that the dog's attitude is based on how it's trained and treated by the owner. After that interview, they still filmed the lady and it showed her pit bull attacking a poodle. I just hate how animals are killed because of that.  

Alee Skellington

Christizzle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:37 pm
Hester Peche
Any dog is dangerous. Pitbulls are considered more so because they have a locking jaw--like a shark. But raised with care and love they are like any dog, and pretty much a big, friendly couch potato...especially if they are fixed.

Honestly in my opinion chihuahua are more dangerous...those little things are meeeeean.

This.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:40 pm
AleeLight
Hester Peche
But raised with care and love they are like any dog, and pretty much a big, friendly couch potato...especially if they are fixed.
I agree with that. But the news showed an interview with a lady, and she said that the dog's attitude is based on how it's trained and treated by the owner. After that interview, they still filmed the lady and it showed her pit bull attacking a poodle. I just hate how animals are killed because of that.

I have a wonderful, normally well behaved dog--but as soon as another dog gets close she'll attack.

Guess what? She's a beagle-terrier mix. Agressiveness doesn't have much to do with breed, sure some breeds are more agressive but, primeraly it has to do with training and if the dog grew up around other animals.  

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:41 am
Pits are bred to be human-friendly and dog-agressive. They're bred for ring fighting, so they're trained to kill any dog it gets near. So, bringing pits to do parks are really not suggested. Now, if they turn on the hand of their ring master, they get a slap on the face and dundundun, no bite. Ring masters also pull the dogs back during fighting, to give them a moment to rest and to rebuild some strength, as well as intimidate their opponent. If these dogs snapped at their owner, when in full fight mode, the owner would have some serious problems.

Any retired fighting pits were used as family pets with small children. Michael Vick's dogs have all (except for 2, one was a nervous wreck and I don't remember what was wrong with the other one) been rehomed. If I remember right, most of those homes had little children, about 5-6 years old who loved to climb and tug on them.

They can easily be dangerous if they're allowed to run the house. Chances are, this dog was in full fight mode and the human hand was right by the other dog, so it was like the human was part of the dog. Any chances this pit was outside and chained up? If so, then it was the guy who was walking his dog's fault. No owner in their right mind would put their chain near the road, so much so that it can reach it. This man let his dog by the pit, instead of crossing the street like good ol' common sense tells us to.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:55 am
you know, in my opinion, it's the way you raise the dog.
but like i said, that's my opinion. i have seen the most
loveable pits. if you treat a dog badly, they aren't gonna be very nice.

Seawicket

Alee Skellington

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:38 pm
Hmm, I should've added something to my original post. I'll add it right now ;D  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:44 pm
Some form of punishment is needed to teach it that harming other creatures is not right because it's owner obviously failed at that.

But when a dog/animal does something like maul a child to death, it needs to be destroyed immediately.

u nd i

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:45 pm
And now it's the Pit owner's fault. You don't bring a pitbull to a dogpark. Idiots.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:52 pm
Satin_Slippers
And now it's the Pit owner's fault. You don't bring a pitbull to a dogpark. Idiots.

This.  

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:55 pm
I grew up with Bullterriers, often related with Pitbulls, and almost the same caracter.
And because of those dogs I often got to know other pitbulls, and dogs related to these kinds of dogs.

I knows that they are very energetic, loving, and they love to get attention and to play around.

That they are aggresive, is often the fault of it's owner.

If the owner thinks that these kinds of dog need to be treated harshly, the dog can end up aggresive.

If you give a dog like that a lot of love, you will teach it right things, in the right way. It would never hurt a fly.

It sounds like it's the fault of it's owner, and sadly the dog has to pay for the price for that. Which is very, very sad.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 am
*points to sig*

The locking jaw thing is a myth. Pit bulls do have very strong jaws and very strong dogs in general, but they don't "lock". The psi of their bite is also not any stronger than another dog of similar size. As Satin_Slippers said, they're bred to be human-friendly and dog-aggressive. You don't take a pit to a dog park, that's asking for trouble. There's a good chance that the dog had perceived some sort of threat from the other dog to his owner. Pits are very protective. They are also one of the absolute best family pets you can find. As a matter of fact, in the first part of the 20th century, they were THE most popular family pet in the America. My disabled grandmother had pits when I was growing up and I used to use them as jungle gyms. Sweetest dogs ever.

But the fact is, these are NOT good dogs for anyone to own. They're amazing if you have the slightest bit of knowledge about care and training, but if you're stupid and don't bother to train them or let them run the house or take them to dog parks when you know they have a history of aggression, then you're probably better off with a lab. If you're willing to put a little work into them though, in my opinion, you will not find a more loyal and loving companion than a pit bull.  

AriaStarSong

Ninja509

Dapper Fatcat

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:26 pm
well did you know cocker spaniels actully have a worse temperment then
the this lovable breed. Infact in england there considerd the nanny dog.
so..Don't worry pits are the sweetest and I rember when I was little always
puting my hand in my neighbors pits mouth playing dentist or heck even sitting on its back trust me if you train them right the perfect dog. ; )

13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff