Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN- (Sexist Wiccan Laws?!) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Conan The Barbie Doll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:03 am
What is this?! Apparently such sexist "laws" exist within Wicca, similar to the sexist commandments given in the bible. I will provide a link, and then quote a bit of it: Wiccan Laws

Wiccan Laws
Several of the provisions in these laws seem rather disagreeable to many Wiccans of today. For example, its sexist language ("as a man loveth a woman by mastering her"), and cursing people and condemning them to an eternity in the Christian hell ("And if any break these Laws, even under torture, THE CURSE OF THE GODDESS SHALL BE UPON THEM, so they may never be reborn on earth and may remain where they belong, in the hell of the Christians.") Another controversial law which irked Valiente was that: "And the greatest virtue of a High Priestess be that she recognize that youth is necessary to the representative of the Goddess. So will she gracefully retire in favor of a younger woman, should the coven so decide in council." Noticeably the Laws have several anachronisms and refer to the threat of being burnt for witchcraft even though this did not happen in England or Wales, where witches were hanged during the witch hunts.

Can someone explain this? I think I might be missing something here....  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:13 am
Disagreeable to actual, proper Wiccans, or IRAB insta-"Wiccans"?
Because one group's opinion on this issue actually matters; the other group's doesn't.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:28 am
Conan The Barbie Doll
What is this?! Apparently such sexist "laws" exist within Wicca, similar to the sexist commandments given in the bible.

Can someone explain this? I think I might be missing something here....

What is it you think you are missing?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:30 am
I thought Wiccans didn't believe in the Christian hell...?  

ShadowCatSoul

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:36 am
ShadowCatSoul

They do, in a sense.

If you break your oaths to Wicca then you are forced into the Christian Hell.

Please, Correct me if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:37 am
ShadowCatSoul

http://wicca.timerift.net/laws/161.shtml
35. And if any break these Laws, even under torture, THE CURSE OF THE GODDESS SHALL BE UPON THEM, so they may never be reborn on earth and may remain where they belong, in the hell of the Christians.

http://wicca.timerift.net/laws/old_laws.shtml
So it be Ardane that no one may tell any not of the Craft who be of the Wica. nor give any names, or where they Byde, or in any way tell anything which can betray any to our foes. Nor may they tell where the Covenstead be. or where is the Covendom. or where be the meetings. or that there have been meetings. And if any break these laws, even under torture, The Curse of the Goddess shall be upon them, so they never be reborn on earth, And may the remain where they belong, in the Hell of the Christians.

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:00 am
Namikikyo
They do, in a sense.

Spot on. Keep in mind that the Wica believe in Reincarnation, and that being part of the cult ensures you will be reunited with your Loved Ones in the cult in your next incarnation after you rest.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:17 pm
TeaDidikai
Namikikyo
They do, in a sense.

Spot on. Keep in mind that the Wica believe in Reincarnation, and that being part of the cult ensures you will be reunited with your Loved Ones in the cult in your next incarnation after you rest.

I've heard of the term Summerlands before. Is that a fluff term or is it that rest place you mentioned here?  

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:01 pm
Why are Wican deities punishing followers by sending them to my god's hell?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:27 pm
Gho the Girl
Because Gardner wasn't the best researcher ever?  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:38 pm
Gardner's views and the views of today's Gardnerians are not the same. I would dare say that every Gard I know is a feminist and would take issue with "man loveth a woman by mastering her." I brought it up, but no significant comment was made. Oathbound material required for explanation, methinks. My HP is not heterosexual, and I'm pretty sure G-Squared would have had a problem with that.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:47 pm
Illiezeulette
Gardner's views and the views of today's Gardnerians are not the same. I would dare say that every Gard I know is a feminist and would take issue with "man loveth a woman by mastering her." I brought it up, but no significant comment was made. Oathbound material required for explanation, methinks. My HP is not heterosexual, and I'm pretty sure G-Squared would have had a problem with that.
Things change. It's hard to separate Gardner's prejudices from his information sometimes. You have to remember that some covens aren't as homosexually friendly as others.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:53 pm
Gho the Girl

Also, if hell is just not being able to have union with God, why would this bother a wiccan if they forfeited this right by worshiping other gods in the first place? *scratches head*  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:05 pm
My understanding of it is that since many of the people who come to Wicca are former Christians, then being cursed to Hell will have some sort of meaning to them. Not only that, but if one loves the Goddess and is being threatened with being banished from her presence then that would be something that would give one considerable pause, if one was thinking of breaking one's oaths.

And as Tea mentioned, being denied reincarnation with those you love would suck as well.  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:26 am
Synnthetika

I've heard of the term Summerlands before. Is that a fluff term or is it that rest place you mentioned here?

When you read the Decent of the Goddess, The Lord does mention that things rest in his realm before they return. It's a valid concept, even if the term might not stem from Wica. I don't have a good source to justify saying it is or isn't.

Gho the Girl

Gardner was influenced by the era he lived in. Kicking someone out of the cult and back into popular culture seemed like a good punishment I'm sure.

Illiezeulette
I would dare say that every Gard I know is a feminist and would take issue with "man loveth a woman by mastering her."
~snerk~

Quote:
My HP is not heterosexual, and I'm pretty sure G-Squared would have had a problem with that.
He specified homosexual. If he's bi, he might be able to skate in. wink

too2sweet
My understanding of it is that since many of the people who come to Wicca are former Christians, then being cursed to Hell will have some sort of meaning to them. Not only that, but if one loves the Goddess and is being threatened with being banished from her presence then that would be something that would give one considerable pause, if one was thinking of breaking one's oaths.
Very good points.

This might have something to do with the different roles of the Lord and Lady, and how they fill these roles in Life and Death.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff