View Results

filigree hummingbird

Sparkly Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:41 pm
what do you think? are star trek novels a decent side dish to the delictable star trek entree or do they hopelessly ruin the characters and plot view points? you decide.

ps. personally i think the novels are great for people who live in remote societies biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:22 pm
It depends on the author.

For me personally I like Shatner's writing smile .  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

MasterfulChaos

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:47 pm
Some of them are good, but the problem is that a person can watch a single episode of Star Trek, and then crap out a novel.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:17 am
Can't say I've ever read one sweatdrop

But in my past experiences of reading novels based on series', {Stargate Atlantis and Doctor Who, mainly}, they were sort of, well, s**t. So I probably wouldn't do it again. Might as well go read fanfiction if you're into that.

Tear Away These Faces

Generous Gekko

6,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Contributor 150

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:18 pm
Like with any books based of a popular Franchise, it depends on the writer. The only annoyance is the fans who insist that their favorite books are part of the Cannon.

I stopped reading trek books a long time ago, however, upon realizing that every book was part of a series as opposed to stand alone stories featuring the characters I love. That's what I liked. I was in fifth grade reading Novels that brought the life into characters I never thought could possibly interest me, and great stories that seemed grasp exactly what it is that makes Sci Fi so great.

Especially since in recent years, Star Trek had become so millitant I started to lose the admiration for it I once had. I'm not interested in gun fights in space, or military action. I want to see the vastness of the Final Frontier. The writers of the books understood that more than the Paramount Staff writers did.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:33 am
I've only read one thus far. Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane.
It was actually very enjoyable in my opinion. I cannot say much on the subject however, because that is the only one I have read.

But I think they are perfectly acceptable.  

Doctor Bonez

6,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • First step to fame 200

larxene 12

4,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:52 pm
Doctor Bonez
It was actually very enjoyable in my opinion. I cannot say much on the subject however, because that is the only one I have read.

OMG I LOVED THAT BOOK.

And yes, I do like reading them. Gives me a means to pass the time during school smile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:16 am
larxene 12
Doctor Bonez

OMG I LOVED THAT BOOK.

And yes, I do like reading them. Gives me a means to pass the time during school smile

Some ohne else has read it!? 8D Awesome!
Aren't the Ornae so cute!?  

Doctor Bonez

6,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • First step to fame 200

larxene 12

4,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:46 pm
Doctor Bonez
larxene 12
Doctor Bonez

OMG I LOVED THAT BOOK.

They are!! I loved them. I thought the whole talking rock thing was rather funny as well. And of course, Bones was classic. I think he should be in command more often.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:43 pm
larxene 12
Doctor Bonez
larxene 12
Doctor Bonez

OMG I LOVED THAT BOOK.

They are!! I loved them. I thought the whole talking rock thing was rather funny as well. And of course, Bones was classic. I think he should be in command more often.
( "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a starship captain!" )  

MasterfulChaos

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:42 pm
filigree hummingbird
what do you think? are star trek novels a decent side dish to the delictable star trek entree or do they hopelessly ruin the characters and plot view points? you decide.

ps. personally i think the novels are great for people who live in remote societies biggrin

People who "live in remote societies" have more trouble finding the novels
than getting cable and Star Trek, AFAIK.

I've read very few ST novels. Q-Squared seemed to be written specifically
for tastes like mine. The question "How does this fit into what we
already know?" seemed to be a major consideration, and it helped
weave past episodes together in a clearer fashion. I LOVE when an
author can do that.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:53 pm
Ridley Wolf
larxene 12
Doctor Bonez
larxene 12
Doctor Bonez

OMG I LOVED THAT BOOK.

( "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a starship captain!" )

Heehee... the Klingons think he's insane biggrin  

larxene 12

4,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200

filigree hummingbird

Sparkly Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:04 pm
ok you know there is a thing called traveling librarys. they are basically old hippie vans that travel around with light tv based novels and books on fly fishing....just saying wow so many comments by the way has any one read Imzadi or Imbalance yet.. they are pretty good star trek books i think.
Steel Sterling
filigree hummingbird

People who "live in remote societies" have more trouble finding the novels
than getting cable and Star Trek, AFAIK.

I've read very few ST novels. Q-Squared seemed to be written specifically
for tastes like mine. The question "How does this fit into what we
already know?" seemed to be a major consideration, and it helped
weave past episodes together in a clearer fashion. I LOVE when an
author can do that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 pm
The novels are AMAZING! I have probably about 100 or so of them...and I've read all but about 2 (those I got for Christmas).

There are some that are novelizations - books for the movies and certain episodes that are REALLY, really good. They just go more in-depth and show a different side than you ever saw in the respective 'canon' shots.

(Speaking of canon...this really bugs me. How can the books not be canon, but the MMORPG can be?!?!?! Gah...that really, really, really frustrates me, especially since they've done a much better job lately of keeping the storylines cohesive.)

Then there's books that are for a series, (OS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT) that are 'standalone', but still part of the series. i.e. they can be read as they are - no previous reading required, but you know which setting you're in.

Then there's the crossovers...they can get a little out of hand. Invasion! was a good one, but I only ever read the VOY one, which was the last one, and I was a bit lost, but I figured it out. Gateways is another crossover that got a little crazy. Captain's Table is really good, at least the VOY one is, but I have to put it almost in the realm of fanfic.

But right now, my main focus is on the series relaunches. They have relaunched TNG, DS9, VOY, and Titan (well, not really Titan, but I'm throwing it in there 'cause they're a critical part).

The relaunches have spanned close to (if not more than) 50 books - I've read every single one, in the middle of the most current one - and they are amazing. Each one picks up from where we last saw them - TNG at the end of Nemesis, and DS9/VOY at the end of the series.

Eventually, their paths cross in ways you won't guess (unless you've read them), and...well...let's just say the fit hits the shan and it makes the Dominion War look like a walk in the park.

(If you want more info on the relaunches, just ask me or PM me - I don't mind.)

Sorry about the long note. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one around that reads these books...even my mom (who's also a Trekker) doesn't quite get it. (though I did have a customer come into the store I work at - a retail dept store - and she was just as into as I was...and she was probably about twice my age... xd )

Anyway, what do you guys think?  

YoukaiLuvr

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

piper_lovegood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:22 am
I haven't read any myself, but my uber trekkie boyfriend, he would be a treker if he didn't hate the term, boyfriend reads about 5 a week if he can. I'm still new to it so I would be lost on some instances I might start reading them after I finish TNG.  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff