Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Fashion/Style/Beauty
Flattering clothes Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which female body type are you closest to?
  Pear
  Apple
  Hourglass
  I'm a boy (do we even have any in this guild? o.O)
View Results

__penguin__
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:48 am
(When/if the guild captain comes back, I want to add a beauty/fashion subforum, but 'till then...)

What kind of clothes are best for your body type? Which are the worst? Share tips and advice about how to look your best no matter what your current weight is. 3nodding Also share any tips you may have on downplaying/hiding problem areas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main three female body types are hourglass (...shaped like an hourglass? *3*), apple (more weight distributed on the middle/upper body), and pear (more weight distributed on the lower body), with plenty of variation/overlap between individuals. Different clothes may flatter you depending on your body type.

I'm somewhere in between pear and hourglass, and I think I look best in fitted tops that accentuate waist definition. Unfitted shirts look terrible on me. whee Also, I used to HAAATE wearing skirts because I have terrible cankles (which I'm hoping will get at least a little better when I lose some weight crying ), but I recently discovered the wonder of boots, which hide them completely.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:19 am
I'm pretty hour glass, though my lower half is probably a smidgen larger. I'm a huge fan of empire waist and A line skirts. Basically, anything that emphasizes my narrow waist I'm all about.

Thing that look bad are those shirts that go over you boob and just hang there. Skinny jeans also look awful on me. And horizontal stripes are almost always awful gonk

freelance lover

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:28 am
Describing hourglass shape as big boobs and big hips / narrow waist is not quite right. The thing about hourglass shapes is that they're proportioned fairly equally, your hips and chest are about the same size and your waist is sort of significantly smaller. >.>

I look best in a strange variety of things. Anything that cinches under the breast makes me and every single other person on the planet (even men) look pregnant.

V necks and scoop necks look great on me, I just look great showing cleavage (fancy that. : )

When it comes to styles, I can usually tell within one fitting why something looks terrible on me which is why I practically have to bust out the cross and holy water to get sales people not to do their jobs when I go into a clothing store. It's unfortunate but it has to happen.

Ideally I like wearing skirts that come to my knees. *NOT* below my knees. Unless it is a long skirt, Nothing in between. If a skirt is narrow, having a bit of frill on the ends is nice. Not lace but like... frill. >.> Hard to describe.

I used to not be able to wear skirts because my thighs would rub together and hurt. But I can wear them now without pain for a LONG time.

For some reason, there's this problem where most, if not all pants fit me in the waist, but do NOT fit me in the thigh. Leaving baggyness that I could shove a loaf of bread down my pants and no one would know in the area where the zipper is or where the legs meet on any pair of jeans or pants I can pull it out and have a lot of extra room there.

... I haaaaaate it. And yet. I wear pants.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:14 am
freelance lover
I'm pretty hour glass, though my lower half is probably a smidgen larger. I'm a huge fan of empire waste and A line skirts. Basically, anything that emphasizes my narrow waste I'm all about.

Thing that look bad are those shirts that go over you boob and just hang there. Skinny jeans also look awful on me. And horizontal stripes are almost always awful gonk
Haha, yeah. I am about the same and I agree with all these.

I don't call myself an hourglass, though, because I mean...I'm a big hourglass.

As you can see, my waist is over ten inches smaller than my hips, but only 9 from my chest. And my chest is two inches smaller than my hips. So it's not perfect. But then again, my bust measurement came from wearing a sports bra.

I identify with hourglass more because...I'm nowhere near pear or apple. Regardless of what you call it, I know how to flatter my body.

There's a way to go about an empire waist without looking pregnant. For one, a wide band always helps do the trick. And no ruffling or hanging fabric below.  

CondomAtTheCrimeScene

__penguin__
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:58 am
Seraphsody
Describing hourglass shape as big boobs and big hips / narrow waist is not quite right. The thing about hourglass shapes is that they're proportioned fairly equally, your hips and chest are about the same size and your waist is sort of significantly smaller. >.>

I tried to think of a way to put that succinctly, but I couldn't, so I changed the OP to something else suitable... I think. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:58 am
One thing I've noticed has to relate to colors. It seems to me that larger people just look sloppy in faded colors, pale colors and look neater in brighter or bolder colors. Big people looking sloppy just seems to make them look bigger. If you ask me. xD;  

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

out of the woods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:56 am
I think I'm more of an pear shape. Skirts look better on me because my legs are on the larger side, and skirts hide that fact until I sit down. Though sometimes sitting down doesn't reveal anything. When I have to wear pants, I typically wear a longer shirt. And I'd say that both baggy and fitted shirts look alright on me, since my stomach doesn't go out too much in the front, but rather the sides. But if it's TOO tight, like a thin or bunched up fabric, then my hips show too much. All in all, I say black's a good color for looking slimmed down. Any really dark color.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:12 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'm a pear for sure ;_;

I'm like 32-25-36 and have a smallish chest and huge thighs in proportion to my body.

From what I know, you're trying to create a more balanced look. So darker pants, and lighter shirts I guess? Things that make shoulders look broader and breasts look bigger. And I think wide legged or flared pants to hide the thick thighs.

Video jug has videos on dressing for your body shape.

Pear
Apple
Hour Glass
Boyish

frakkin

Wheezing Pieslinger

.WayneZinok.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:37 pm
I'm kind of hourglass, I suppose. /: Though my waist isn't really -that- narrow. I just am not really top or bottom heavy either.
Empire waists look good on me, because that's the narrowest part of me. I'm also a fan of scoop/v-neck shirts, because I have a large chest which takes the attention away from my chubby stomach. The shirts must be structured or fitted, as loose things just go straight down off my chest completely taking away my shape. As for bottoms, I wear skirts and dresses as often as possible, and only put them away when it becomes -10. I'm pretty feminine, and I find them flattering, because I like my legs.
Generally I look best in bright/rich colours, as lighter ones either end up being see through, or show my bumps and lumps more clearly.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:50 pm
I'm hourglass but my butt has been looking rather large as of late XD
I love high-waisted skirts and dresses. Something like this would do nicely on me.

I have a difficult time finding flattering jeans.
I almost always wear skirts or dresses or long shirts...  

bonhomie

phloid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:55 pm
bonhomie
I love high-waisted skirts and dresses. Something like this would do nicely on me.

I think I'm mostly apple.

I would really love to wear skirts like this
that's one of the reasons I'm trying to lose weight
because when I wear these now
it does nothing for my tummy.
you can definitely clearly see a bulge.
So, to curb my crave for high waisted skirts, I just steer clear of the pencil style
Going more for flared type skirts :3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:06 pm
phloid
bonhomie

So, to curb my crave for high waisted skirts, I just steer clear of the pencil style

I'm going nuts googling clothes, haha
It's obvious I haven't shopped in a while!
Would a dress like this work for you?
Or like.. this is kinda funky.
Or or or this is super cute to me.
Ok I'm done. Too broke to be looking at clothes XD  

bonhomie

phloid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:20 pm
bonhomie
phloid
bonhomie

Yehhh, that's what I'm talkin' about.
they definitely look better on my shape.
and OUUUH, that last one is uber cute! 4laugh
But I know what you mean, I love browsing clothes online
even though I'm broke d:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:14 pm
phloid
bonhomie
phloid
bonhomie

Yehhh, that's what I'm talkin' about.
they definitely look better on my shape.
and OUUUH, that last one is uber cute! 4laugh
But I know what you mean, I love browsing clothes online
even though I'm broke d:

We must have similar tastes xd
My health is important, duh, but clothes are a huge motivator for me haha  

bonhomie

Honeydew Ice Cream

Tipsy Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:25 pm
I'll keep you my dirty little secret...

I'm more of a... rectangle, really. oTL

My bust is slightly larger than my hips, but my waist is pretty similar in measurements as well (I'm hoping to change that with exercise).

...don't tell anyone or you'll be just another regret.

Fashion/Style/Beauty

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff