Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
The Lib-Dem thread. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:19 am
Yes, of all people to make this thread...it's me.

Still, I console myself that giving the poor lot a thread makes them no less the unelectable whipping-boy of the British party political system.

Now, Simon may want a word in here..

Word.

..what do people think of the pressure within the party to depose Kennedy as leader?

Also, feel free to add whatever Lib-Dem orientated comments and take the thread in whatever Lib-Dem direction you wish.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:19 pm
Menzies fo' real!

He should so be leader.
3nodding  

Nebelstern
Crew

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:29 pm
Are the Lib Dems a liberal party or a socially democratic party?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:33 am
They shouldn't get rid of Charles Kennedy!

If they do that they may actually start to form an opposition! (Not a lib dem fan).
That man has the fence pole so far up his posterior..... How can they form an effective opposition when they don't oppose anything?

I was a Lib Dem, until I started watching Daily Politics, and reading the news, and realized they stood for, well, nothing, except to oppose the other two parties.
We should replace the Lib Dems with the Green Party; at least then their votes would be used for good other than for the purpose of backing up Tony Blair.

emmamme

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:28 am
Come on, the Green party is more of a single-minded get-together. Menzies (how do you pronounce that, by the way? I've never figured this out) is preferable over Kennedy, IMO.. during the election he was the only one who really dealt any blows to the other parties. The party needs a bit of backbone.

Although I do support the LDs generally. ^^;;  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:39 am
A Lost Iguana

Generally, I hope that the Tories will beacome more truly liberal. In line with their best traditions.

The lib/dems seem to be a mix of socially democratic and transient petty vote-hunting.

Outside of the Tories, I root for the Greens. Which is unorthodox, I know.

Invictus_88
Captain

emmamme

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:03 pm
Invictus_88
A Lost Iguana

Generally, I hope that the Tories will beacome more truly liberal. In line with their best traditions.

The lib/dems seem to be a mix of socially democratic and transient petty vote-hunting.

Wow, you have the same political agenda as me! I didn't think there were any other Tory & Green supporters out there! Yey!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:13 pm
I can see the tories taking a greener stance in the near future, the issue is a very real one and only being kept down by the way people cease to take it seriously as a result of stigma toward Greenpeacey-hippyism.

Personally though, it is more of an issue than immigration. It certianly matters more.

Invictus_88
Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:01 pm
Invictus_88
A Lost Iguana

Liberal is the most misunderstood word in politics.
For a start, there are two very different kinds of liberalism, economic liberalism and social liberalism. The two concern totally different things and are not particularly closely related.

Social liberalism = people should be free to make choices about how to live their lives. Eg, no laws concerning wearing car seatbelts, or excessing drinking.

Economic liberlism = generally rather right wing. People should be free to make as much money as they choose without interference from the state. Shouldn't have to use money to benefit anyone except themselves unless they want to.

Apologies for the gross over-simplifications, couldn't be bothered to write much more.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:44 am
whapcapn
Invictus_88
A Lost Iguana

Liberal is the most misunderstood word in politics.
For a start, there are two very different kinds of liberalism, economic liberalism and social liberalism. The two concern totally different things and are not particularly closely related.

Social liberalism = people should be free to make choices about how to live their lives. Eg, no laws concerning wearing car seatbelts, or excessing drinking.

Economic liberalism = generally rather right wing. People should be free to make as much money as they choose without interference from the state. Shouldn't have to use money to benefit anyone except themselves unless they want to.

Apologies for the gross over-simplifications, couldn't be bothered to write much more.

Well that's true, both your separation of the two liberal stances and that the word liberal is often misunderstood.

I'm liberal in both regards, though more strongly in the social sphere. You'll not find me arguing too strongly for economic liberalism until I've learned enough to crystallise my opinions into something more defensible.

Invictus_88
Captain

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:41 pm
Invictus_88

The Greens are great. Their image isn't so great but still heart .
The Greens are so much better than the Tories and the Lib Dems.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:01 am
I would like to see a return to their true centrist values, rather than see these worrying divides over right wing and left wing policies. It's a pity that people are judging Charles Kennedy over his image rather than his capabilities.

All a bit vain, and Presidential.

Must admit though, seems a shame he cannot control his party.

Nebelstern
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:12 am
I must say, I respect Kennedy for admitting his treatment for drink. However that respect is eclipsed by his consistently having lied about it, and undermined by the suspicion that his confession could easily have been drawn out by someone threatening to expose him anyway.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:24 am
LEADERSHIPELECTIONS!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4582930.stm

I do hope they elect Menzies Campbell. He's a wise and revered figure and would help offer a good solid alternative to David Cameron's youth and inexperience.

Nebelstern
Crew

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:07 pm
Invictus_88
I must say, I respect Kennedy for admitting his treatment for drink. However that respect is eclipsed by his consistently having lied about it, and undermined by the suspicion that his confession could easily have been drawn out by someone threatening to expose him anyway.
3nodding  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games