Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Hinabi 2/2 (in constant updating mode) PENDING? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hinabi

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:43 pm
jjak@dA

★ INFORMATION ★

• I am a professional Graphic Designer, mostly I focus on graphics, layouts, presentations, typography.
  • Illustrating is a hobby, I'm not a professional, but I am passionate and feel as if I have a certain eye for it.
  • I will be blunt. I do not sling around bull, and I'm definitely not going to take bait while you are fishing for compliments.
  • Easily offended, closed-minded, egotistical? Sorry. I'm not the mentor for you.
    Can't fill a cup that's already full

★ QUALIFICATIONS ★

• I used to be a Graphic Design tutor for my school, and held "poster child" status until graduation.
  • Best in Show during the 2008 Fall Portfolio Show via AINYC

I have full knowledge, or brief knowledge of:
  • Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign
  • Painttool SAI
  • Traditional media: (guache, color pencils, pencils)

Strengths
  • Digital inking
  • Composition
  • Conceptual creation
  • Character design

★ APPLICATION ★

Please include:
  • 1. Links to a gallery or choice samples
  • 2. What you wish to improve on.
  • 3. Why pick me as your mentor?
  • 4. What are you familiar with (media, programs?)

★ DISCLAIMER ★

I will be mainly focused only on my mentees.
    If you wish to leave a sample behind for a critique, you are free to, but don't expect an immediate reply.

If I make you cry. I'm not sorry. :B

Please take into consideration that I am MENTORING you, not deliberately teaching you to draw/design exactly
    in my style and technique. I am strongly partial to those who wish to build on an existing style and
    not conform to my own. Individuality is key.

If I feel you are not active, I will be taking another mentoree in your place.

★ MENTEES ★

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:23 pm
1. Links to a gallery or choice samples deviantcrap.
2. What you wish to improve on. General anatomy and stuffs, composition, maybe develop a more interesting style, and inking. Especially inking.
3. Why pick me as your mentor? Your style is cute, your use of color is good, your pictures all flow, and your inking is awesome.
4. What are you familiar with (media, programs?) Umm... pencil, crow quill (but not good at), multiliners, copics watercolor (but not good at). I also own a tablet and corel painter essentials, but I'm not very good. (only attempt I'm halfway proud of, but sketch is old so anatomy and style is inaccurate.)

Oh, and I'm Aaron, by the way :3  

The Titanium Spork

infinim

Shameless Exhibitionist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:30 pm
壮麗なつは今話している:

My name is Hope. It's nice to meet you Hinabi. I hope to be working with you.

I'd like to improve on character design, digital inking, digital coloring and shading, getting used to SAI (although it's probably something I could do myself), improving small things like eyes/hands. I'd also like to get better at drawing regular-anime instead of just chibis.

I would like you as my mentor because you have an amazing artistic talent, your art happened to inspire me on many occasions, and I would like a mentor that is straight to the point on what needs to be improved, and also point out what has improved from the last time.

I use Photoshop, but I am trying out SAI.

Most of my art on DA is outdated, so I'm going to link some more recent art. Since I am in the middle of a piece, I'm going to post it later.

I apologize for the lack of samples ><;

Recent

[Edit;] I also own a medium Intous4 Wacom Tablet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:22 am
Hello Aaron and Hope~ ^^

I'd be glad to take you guys on as mentorees, but before I do take you on, I'll fill you in on how I most likely will run things.

You guys /must/ keep drawing. I work best critiquing work as you go. Whenever you're stuck, just post a WIP here and I'll get back to you when I can.

I also check my dA a lot, so if you want, you can note me directly on there as well, but if you do, make sure to post here as well.

Also, please try not to put yourself down as far as talent/skill goes. You'll get better if you keep practicing and observing the things around you with or without me :]

The more active you are, the longer I will be willing to mentor you :'x
If I feel you are not active enough, I will politely take on another mentoree in your place.  

Hinabi

Dapper Dabbler

Hamaon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:30 pm
Mah deviantart gallery. *3*

If my username is too long to write just call me Psy.

Let's see about things to improve on (besides that all-encompassing everything). Erm, poses (everything I try to draw looks so stiff D: ), anatomy in general, and colouring. Oh, not to mention backgrounds, composition, ectectect LALALA.

I can't decide if I'm just paranoid about splashing colour all over my drawings, or if I just fail at picking the right palette. Either way, my coloured drawings end up looking mouldy most of the time. D:

Picking you because your drawings seem very vibrant and natural. And that you can draw pretty-boys. *3*

The only media I'm really familiar with is digital and pencil sketches. I'm using SAI, and I've used photoshop, although I haven't really explored their features. Shoot me. I couldn't take art as an elective subject. D:

I see you've already got two (just now, d'oh), but if you're ever free for another you can take me on. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:03 pm
I'll definitely let you know, because I haven't gotten a response from them yet xD I make for a difficult mentor.  

Hinabi

Dapper Dabbler

Hamaon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:16 am
Haha.
Will do. I'm looking for somebody to point me in the right direction more than anything else.

If I'm not supposed to post here then I'll just go delete my post after somebody berates for an embarrasing mistake.
XD  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:46 pm
Hello Hinabi! I'm so sorry I haven't responded, but my life got a bit dificult. I am still totally intrested and will resume on being active. I hope you haven't booted me out yet ><""

I actual have a WIP right now, if you could help..

It would be easier for me to talk to you on DA, but I will also check here...

Could you message me on there to let me know if I'm still a mentee or not??? I feel so bad...................
*worries*  

infinim

Shameless Exhibitionist

Hinabi

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:36 pm
If anyone is still interested since I haven't been getting responses o_O;

At the moment I am "mentoring" a friend who showed interest. If you ever need straight up advice, feel free to PM me here on Gaia.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Hinabi
If anyone is still interested since I haven't been getting responses o_O;

At the moment I am "mentoring" a friend who showed interest. If you ever need straight up advice, feel free to PM me here on Gaia.

Ah!! I am definitely still interested!!
I had to take a break from Gaia for severe personal reasons, but I am back ^^

Please respond if you are still okay with teaching me the previous things listed.

PS. I had thought this topic was inactive... I'm glad it's not!

infinim

Shameless Exhibitionist

Hinabi

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:20 pm
Hopeinblack

Please respond if you are still okay with teaching me the previous things listed.

Yeah ><; I felt back because I haven't been around this area.

The best way is to just show me what you're working on, explain what you may be having trouble on and move on from there.

I'm not exactly the sugar-coating kind >3>; so prepare yourself if you are still up for it  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:20 am
Hinabi
Hopeinblack

The best way is to just show me what you're working on, explain what you may be having trouble on and move on from there.

I'm not exactly the sugar-coating kind >3>; so prepare yourself if you are still up for it

xD No, I'm definetly not looking for butt-patting. My art isn't terrible, but there are a lot of things I can improve on.

Um, well, the problems I feel that are consistent are shading, (mostly hair and clothes) as well as anatomy and perspective. There's also proportions, but those are the main three. Here are my two most recent works: http://hopeinblack.deviantart.com/art/GO-Contest-Megaten-Inagaoi-173840819?q=&qo=
http://hopeinblack.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2vgtxe

Please tell me what you think I should do C:

infinim

Shameless Exhibitionist

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:25 pm
I've gotten over it over and over again

If you aren't full, I'm interested in becoming a mentee. I am beginning university in September, and so progress may slow or come to a halt for a short period of time while I adjust to University life, but I can assure you I will still be drawing, because if there is an essay to procrastinate, my sketchbook is OPEN. :b

1. My Gallery: (Mainly filled with sketches and a few WIPs at the moment. Wish and Alanis are both working WIPs.)

2. I need to improve on my anatomy and proportions (Although I can say I'm definitely getting better than I used to be.) Facial structures, and working with both photoshop and colored pencils. Oh, and general composition of a picture, especially backgrounds with perspective @_@

3. As you can see by the above answer, I wish to improve upon 3things you said you were familiar with. This makes things easier for both of us :v

4. I mainly work with graphite, but when color is needed I work with colored pencils. I can work with photoshop, gimp, etc. as well, but I have difficulties with creating digital lineart D: I'm also experimenting with acrylic painting.

/Longpost. xD

User Image----- Angelic Minis: 5mil/TOO MUCH----User Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:37 am
Hopeinblack
Hinabi
Hopeinblack

xD No, I'm definetly not looking for butt-patting. My art isn't terrible, but there are a lot of things I can improve on.

Um, well, the problems I feel that are consistent are shading, (mostly hair and clothes) as well as anatomy and perspective. There's also proportions, but those are the main three. Here are my two most recent works: http://hopeinblack.deviantart.com/art/GO-Contest-Megaten-Inagaoi-173840819?q=&qo=
http://hopeinblack.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2vgtxe

Please tell me what you think I should do C:

Ooh! And backgrounds!

infinim

Shameless Exhibitionist

Hinabi

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:29 am
I'm still kind of working on backgrounds myself since I'm a very simplistic type.

As far as proportion goes, your style is pure chibi~ Not sure if that's what you're going for, but that is what it is from what I see. Even chibi styles have a certain anatomy rule as a base (you can deviate from it once you have it done for style purposes)

First things first~ Draw BIG (300dpi), instead of the default 72dpi (for internet viewing) It'll help with details and make your lines cleaner since you'll have to eventually zoom out and resize the image smaller.

As far as shading goes, I see you have a vague grasp on using a single direction light source (light hitting an object from one side). Try avoiding adding shade lines RIGHT around your lineart, it'll only accent the line-art rather than give your color a dimension in itself.

I'm online frequently enough for a personal livestream session, so send me a PM or note me when you are online if you want to see a demo on what you're looking for.  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff