Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Sugar, the bitter truth Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:04 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

This is a lecture, it's very biochemistry-y but Lustig (the speaker) boils it down very well. Seriously. EVERYONE interested in losing weight should watch this, it's a bit of a chore but do it.

WOW. As a future Dietitian I find this fascinating, horrifying and... augh.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:31 pm
I just watched it...wow.it was long but very informative.  

BitterFantasy

Nolone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:51 am
favorite line "thats like drinking a pizza"

I gave up pop for the most part a long time ago,

i was able to keep with him tell he started going threw how the liver and thing break down food then i got last.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:32 pm
basically if it says high fructose corn syrup on the ingredient label DONT eat it.

i think that pretty much sums it up.

DANGER: high fructose corn syrup makes you gain weight and causes lots of health problems!  

BitterFantasy

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:54 pm
BitterFantasy
basically if it says high fructose corn syrup on the ingredient label DONT eat it.

DANGER: high fructose corn syrup makes you gain weight and causes lots of health problems!

While I'm sure that this is a very healthy approach, it would make living in this world very difficult.

Moderation moderation moderation, and I don't mean half and half folks. There's a great rule by which sweets, high fat, high calorie foods should only make up ten percent of your diet. So if you're on a 2000 calorie a day diet, that's a 200 calorie treat. (see what I mean?)  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:58 pm
I'll keep you my dirty little secret...

Wait, but now I'm concerned. Fruit is very high in sugar, and I practically live off of that stuff. Bananas suppress my cravings for chocolate, and berries suppress my cravings for candy, not to mention it's got lots of fibre and vitamins in it that are good for you.

Does that mean in the long run, fruit could make me fat?

...don't tell anyone or you'll be just another regret.

Honeydew Ice Cream

Tipsy Ladykiller

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:29 pm
Overzealous Hibernation

Wait, but now I'm concerned. Fruit is very high in sugar, and I practically live off of that stuff. Bananas suppress my cravings for chocolate, and berries suppress my cravings for candy, not to mention it's got lots of fibre and vitamins in it that are good for you.

If you watch the video you'll find out why you won't get fat if you eat fruit.

Basically, the glucose in fruit is different than the fructose in our food.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:45 am
Yup!the day i watched it i started checking labels.lost 10 pounds since thursday!so 5 days and 10 pounds lighter!  

BitterFantasy

BitterFantasy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:25 am
Seraphsody
BitterFantasy

While I'm sure that this is a very healthy approach, it would make living in this world very difficult.

Moderation moderation moderation, and I don't mean half and half folks. There's a great rule by which sweets, high fat, high calorie foods should only make up ten percent of your diet. So if you're on a 2000 calorie a day diet, that's a 200 calorie treat. (see what I mean?)

but still its not really that hard when you get the right portions of foods.plenty of fruits and veggies and protein and minimum of processed foods.but for those who need that 10% need to remember that rule.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:56 pm
Seraphsody
Overzealous Hibernation

If you watch the video you'll find out why you won't get fat if you eat fruit.

Basically, the glucose in fruit is different than the fructose in our food.

I havent watched the video, but technically you can get fat off fruit. I mean, you can get fat off just about anything if you eat enough of it. An apple is aroun 80 calories i think, so if you eat 50 apples a day you'll probably put on weight . On the other hand, you'd get a fair amount of fibre too. Having fruit instead of other sweet things is generally better for you when trying to lose weight because you get your sugar hit but the fibre helps you stay fuller and I guess it helps your digestive system and all that fun stuff too, whereas having a cookie or whatever wouldnt give you the fullness. If you're having a banana and some berries a day instead of chocolate i really wouldnt worry too much  

Iconised Ghost

CherokeeAlex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:03 pm
BitterFantasy

Anything can cause health problems if consumed in high enough quantities. Moderation of your sugar/HFCS intake is the more appropriate method.

@fruit: Unless you're eating an absurdly high amount of fruit daily, I don't think you'll have an issue. The benefits of regular fruit intake are far higher than any negatives associated with the sugar content.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:10 pm
CherokeeAlex
BitterFantasy

Anything can cause health problems if consumed in high enough quantities. Moderation of your sugar/HFCS intake is the more appropriate method.

@fruit: Unless you're eating an absurdly high amount of fruit daily, I don't think you'll have an issue. The benefits of regular fruit intake are far higher than any negatives associated with the sugar content.

I'm only summing up the video for those who don't want to take an hour and a half to watch it.If they want to get technically with things then they may as well just watch the video.  

BitterFantasy

freelance lover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:55 pm
Yeah, sugar = bad. Last time I went on a diet I cut out soda all together and lost about 20lbs.

I also try not to drink diet soda. My mother told me a while ago that diet soda has some sort of chemical in it that causes you to retain fat. I'm inclined to believe this is true since I mostly drank diet sodas before I dieted and lost a ton of weight. Usually if I decide to have a soda (which is about once every two months) I'll go ahead and have a regular one. I'd rather have sugar than a chemical.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:06 pm
This isn't really meant to be a discussion on sugar so much as a discussion on the video and the information therein. Which pertains *to* sugar, but because of the nature of the information and the fact that it differentiates between some things that we generally do not, it is not about sugar.

Sugar as we find it in white form, processed. Is processed like high fructose corn syrup, however because of the differences between the nature of sugar and high fructose corn syrup, less sugar hits your liver. It's a volume thing. You can eat a table spoon of sugar and a table spoon of HFCS but less sugar will hit you.

This is why sugar is not as bad as HFCS but they are processed the same

HFCS is processed similarly to alcohol in your liver because it is poison. Any HFCS you consume will hit your liver and in that there is the issue of volume, because usually our digestive process takes some of that hit away. All HFCS hits your liver and is converted to (I believe fat) something I can't quite remember.

Sugar in fruit is not processed the same way.

It's absolutely absurd to tell someone that fruit will make them fat.

Edit: It is certainly not a complete and healthy diet to eat only fruit but it certainly isn't going to make you fat.  

Tandahda
Crew

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:53 pm
Seraphsody

Edit: It is certainly not a complete and healthy diet to eat only fruit but it certainly isn't going to make you fat.

It would if you ate enough. A large banana is 125 cals ish. If you ate 24 bananas that would give you around 3000 cals. I know I would gain weight if I ate 3000 cals a day. Of course it wouldnt be healthy and Im not saying that many people out there that eat 24 bananas a day lol, but technically if you ate enough fruit it would make you gain weight just because you are eating more calories than you are expending  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games