Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 03. ✿ - - - Role Playing
Roleplay training course (First time roleplayers must see!!) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lieutenant Shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:46 pm
Roleplay Training Course

This is NOT a roleplay. However, it is ABOUT roleplay, so I thought it was best to put it here.

This is a guide to making a good character and roleplaying well, because some of the things I have seen are really pretty pathetic. Jumping in randomly when people are inside a house, posting tiny, uninformative profiles, sending profiles the wrong way, filling out the wrong profile code... It's horrendous, and someone needed to jump in.

(Thank you to Rei Uchikino, who made this topic a sticky)

If this is your first time roleplaying, you NEED to read ALL of the information.

No one will be snobby or mean. This is a nice, helpful thread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:50 pm
Making a profile

this is a basic profile code. You should copy and paste it then fill it out.

DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN PROFILE CODE IF THERE IS ONE POSTED. You can edit it, HOWEVER. You may NOT make the profile smaller. You can add fields, such as "physics" (the character's appearance in depth) or "other" (miscellaneous [misc] information]

Username: (your username)
Character name:
History:
Relationship: (or crush)
Appearance: (or looks like, or pic)
Other:

The following posts will show a good way to fill it out.  

Lieutenant Shotgun

Lieutenant Shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:58 pm
Steps

Now I will show you step by step how to fill it out. Profile codes vary, so if you need help, ask me in this thread (when I'm done) or in a PM.

Username: (your username)
Character name:
History:
Relationship: (or crush)
Appearance: (or looks like, or pic)
Other:

1. Username
What's my username? Lieutenant Shotgun. You would put your username in this field.

2. Character name
The name of the character. Be original; don't use an already made character's name. You should always include a last name.

3. Age
Never leave this empty, or say unknown! It's ******** annoying; all you have to do is type a number.

4. Personality
Your characters temperament. Be detailed. Don't say mix, or "bright and happy." Delve into the charcter's psyche. You should make this at least two sentences long.

5. History
The most hated part of a profile! Never, EVER, say "she doesn't remember her past." That is THE noobiest excuse EVER. Even if they forgot, something must have happened. Can't come up with something? Steal something from a movie or book (not another profile!) and make it your own. This should be around three sentences long. Preferably more.

6. Relationship
Crushes, boyfriends, girlfriends, spouses. If they don't have a boyfried, crush, or spouse, write "None yet" or "None yet, but he/she is hoping." Something to the affect of that.

7. Other
The easiest but most often left empty field. You need to add something here. Let us know more about him/her.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:15 pm
Etiquette

Things to keep in mind when you create a profile.

A. If your character is supposed to be pretty, drop hints. Like, in their history, do something like "because of her good looks."

B. Don't make your profile too similar to someone else's.
It is the most annoying thing in the world. I have been copied on numerous occasions. Be original. Don't copy personality or history. Or talents. I ******** hate that.

C. Provide examples. Of singing, drawing, or playing an instrument.

D. Make descriptions detailed. Think of eyes (shape, color, lash length), body shape (height, body type [fat, thin; breast size, hips]), head shape, hair (length, color, style), and abnormalities, and how pretty or ugly they are. Do all that and put it into complete sentences.

E. Don't use cannons as characters. Amu Hinamori has already been made; don't play her. Lelouch has already been made; don't play him.

F. Untitled. I didn't know what to call it. Like, if you made a character you really like, reuse them SOMETIMES. If you start using them for everything, people will notice and will get pissed.

G. Erase notes in parenthesis (). It's annoying when you don't, because it seems like it's part of the profile, and the creator has to erase it.

H. Don't put picture links on the same line as the field name. (Appearance: or Looks like: or Pic: etc.) It's annoying when you do that, because the picture is tall, and the word is tiny. It looks sloppy.

Lieutenant Shotgun

Lieutenant Shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Examples

I made these, a boy and a girl, in five seconds.

DO NOT USE THEM WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.
If I let you, I want credit.

this is a basic profile code. You should copy and paste it then fill it out.

Username: Fakeusername334433355
Character name: Mindy Anne
Personality: Bright, eager, and happy. Mindy is a trust worthy girl who takes everything head on with a smiling face. She never backs out of a challenge unless it's something bad.
History: Mindy lives in a middle class family. Her father is almost always away on business trips. She helps her mom out at their flower shop. She has a little brother who is very sickly. He's oft in the hospital.
Relationship: She likes Jack.
Appearance:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Other: She likes to garden, obviously.

Username: fakeusernam7643423423
Character name: Jack Louss
Personality: Sullen, stoic. He prefers to be by himself and will never approach anyone unless something important happens. Sometimes, though, he gets flustered and angry.
History: Jack's dad is abusive towards him and his mother. His family is pretty poor, living in a tiny apartment and making minimum wage. Despite all the things against him, Jack stays strong to fend for his mother and himself.
Relationship: None, yet.
Appearance:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Other: He likes classical music.

Notice that, even though both characters were made by me, I used different usernames, to show diversity.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:38 pm
In the roleplay

Now we move on! You have been accepted and can roleplay.

Oh, s**t! What should you do?

Here are some tips.

Be as literate as possible. Don't use chatspeak. It is TERRIBLE. Take the time to write posts properly.

Use correct punctuation. Misplacement of a comma or colon can result in a big misunderstanding. If you don't use quotation marks ("), use a color or bold it.

This is an example by Faretheewell of how important commas are.

"Let's eat, Grandpa!"
"Let's eat Grandpa!"

Make thoughts italics (i). Don't use a smaller font or quotation. Quotation is for TALKING.

Don't be dramatic. Angst and s**t gets OLD.

Don't make secret plans unless you talked with the roleplay's creator. I hate trying to figure things, when I should know because I'm the creator of something. D8<

You shouldn't put your character's picture in your posts every time unless you have cropped and/or resized it. (Use photobucket.)

If it's a roleplay that calls for partnership, don't just create one part, or both and make the character like each other. Make it interactive; have another player do that part, and have romance with them.

Now, romance. Don't pair your character up with another character of yours. It's not fun to watch, and no one else can take part. Pair up with another person before hand if you have to.

Lieutenant Shotgun

Lieutenant Shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:39 pm
Things I forgot and don't feel like fixing

Just like the title says.

Read all of the information given, even if there's a lot. If there's a part you want and it's limited, ask the creator if you can reserve it, then take the time to read EVERYTHING. It's really annoying when you tell people to PM profiles to you, then you see someone post it. Seriously.

If you notice someone is trying to push romance, don't make them do all the work, even if both of the players are girls. It sucks. I've been pushing for romance in this one roleplay and it's annoying because the other character isn't doing anything, and I don't want to tell the other player 'cos I'm bashful. o////o

DO NOT time skip without asking, or giving warning. Seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:42 pm
Special comments

Things that have been said here and elsewhere that people should know.

I need to work on this. >.<
faretheewell
Staying in character.

After you write your character profile, that is the character you play. Your character needs to react according to their established personality, and their history must remain consistent.

A quiz. Which of the following examples shows a player writing in character?

a)Personality: Jane is shy and withdrawn. She prefers her own company most of the time.

Jane skipped up to the other students. "Good morning everyone!" she said brightly.

b)Personality: Jane is shy and withdrawn. She prefers her own company most of the time.

Jane hugged the book to her chest, staring at her shoes as she passed the group of students standing around the door. She hunched her shoulders and didn't speak to any of them.

broken_bleeding_angel
Might I also add some role play etiquette?

Posting Before You're Ready!:

It is considered rude to post in a role play that the maker is not finished making. If the maker posts [DNP]{Do Not Post} or [PDP]{Please Don't Post}, it usually means that they are not done yet and do not want you posting in the thread until they are finished.

Yes I understand if you're excited to start right away and it feels like you are going to pee your pants in excitement, but you can wait. And on that note, please don't pm the maker telling them to hurry up or ask them questions while they're still making the thread, it's very rude and it distracts them from what they are doing.

Making Your Profile!:

Ok, now assuming you have read all the rules and guidelines for the role play, you are then ready to make a profile. What you must know is that every role play is different. That being said, every profile must then be different too.

I will post my two profiles from my two role plays.

.:*:.When the snow melts.:*:.

broken_bleeding_angel
~Character Form~
Character Name: Amaya
Full Name: Amaya Miyazaki
Nick Name(s): Ama
Birthdate: January 18, 1990
Hair: Long, dark golden brown
Eyes: golden brown
Origin: Japan
Language: Japanese, English and French
Blood Type: RH-
Height: 5' 7.5"
Weight/Body Structure: 180lbs, hourglass
Race/Species: Human
Parents: Deceased
Siblings: None
Beliefs/Religion: The earth is her provider. She believes they take care of one another.
Career/Past Careers: None.
Hobbies: Farming. Making fabric.
Loves: Working with her hands
Dislikes: Loud noises
Loathes: Louder noises
Fears: People
Strengths: Hard worker and very strong from it.
Weakness: Doesn't know how to interact with people.
Good Qualities: Friendly once she's used to people.
Bad Habits: Talks to herself.
Turn Ons: Doesn't have any.
Turn Offs: Doesn't have any.
Powers/Abilities/Talents: Can lift very heavy objects easily.
Temperament: She's a very calm and collective person.
Picture References: http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g176/broken_bleeding_angel/sexy girls/danbooru_unf-p-113739229149744.jpg

Geo-Crevatos

broken_bleeding_angel

Gaian Name: broken_bleeding_angel
Character Name: Amaya
Full Name: Amaya Delnacurose
Nick Name(s): Amaya
Birthdate: March 21, 2390
Hair: Long, rich brown
Eyes: Silver/light blue
Origin: UnderKilkin
Language: Krechin (english)
Blood Type: RH negative
Height: 5' 7.5"
Weight/Body Structure: Hourglass, but well tonned
Race/Species: nemus homo sapien
Parents: King and Queen of UnderKilkin
Siblings: None
Beliefs/Religion: She believes that the earth and her are one.
Career/Past Careers: Mercenary, Princess, Forest guide
Hobbies: Collecting herbs, playing with the creafin ( earth horses)
Loves: sleeping, dreaming, night, the forest
Dislikes: goo, ugly men, orcskeans ( beans)
Loathes: The dark ones.
Fears: Naerflaxes (giant monsters)
Strengths: healing, speaking with nature
Weakness: her curiosity
Good Qualities: She speaks her mind and is often kind and caring.
Bad Habits: She tends to wander off.
Turn Ons: Hot men with out shirts
Turn Offs: ignorance, vanity
Powers/Abilities/Talents: She can heal herself and others. She can talk to trees and plants.
Temperament: Fairly calm till startled or frightened.
Picture Reference:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g176/broken_bleeding_angel/sexy girls/danbooru_unf-p-113739229149744.jpg

As you can see, both may look the same, but they still have different last names and are adapt to the world in the role play. It is crucial that you read everything about the role play so as you can not only understand it, but so as you have your character fit it as well.

Also!

On a note about large profiles such as the ones posted above. It is rude to complain about filling out the profile that the maker has given you.
Large profiles, such as mine, are great for covering every aspect of a character. It fills in the aspects of that person you are creating that you don't normally think about. Like an alternate personality, you need to know every aspect of this other you.

Here is an example of a complaint I had.

complainer
broken_bleeding_angel
complainer

i have another question. why do you need to know so much information about characters? like why does it matter what blood type a character is?

Because it covers a lot that most people don't think about. It makes them a real person instead of just bob who likes turkey and can fly. =3=

that actually makes a lot of sense lol i like how u think blaugh

The more you add to a profile, the more real this person seems.

I think this shall be all for now. I'll post later when I can think of more.

SorceressJacklyn
Posting styles

You may see some people who have a posting style randomly pop up in a thread or everyone has a style in a thread. This may be something regulated by the creator. Find out if your creator allows, recommends, or requires post styles so your posts don't seem out of place.

examples:
Allowed
Recommended or Required

I have covered some of these, but here I have explained them more.

Lieutenant Shotgun
THESE ARE THE MOST ANNOYING THINGS EVER.

Don't be an a** when you choose the part your character has.

A perfect example is The Magic Within, a roleplay in this guild. There are, like, fifteen "crystal bearers" which have to be girls, and around five protectors. EVERY CRYSTAL BEARER IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A PROTECTOR. Because YOU GIRLS won't GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE and play a BOY, the whole ******** thing is screwed up! AND, WE HAVE THREE CORIPIOS.

Now, back to topic. You can't rely on everyone else to have the less glamorous parts, or to play a boy or something. You aren't a princess, not everything needs to be handed to you on a silver plate.

It is really annoying, because then the more experienced roleplayers--or more flexible roleplayers--have to cover for you.

Don't choose a part just because it makes your character "special." Get it?

And, another example, ade2's new roleplay, BREAK OUT. There are tons of prisoners--which are all FEMALE!!!!--and, like, two guards (one female) and one cop. - _ -; Grow up!

Also, if you want your character to be famous, you shouldn't make them nice, or they should be stupid, or they should be bad a sports or something. That's a MARY SUE / GARY LOU (?). EVERYONE HATES THOSE.

That brings me to another topic.

Don't be a Rapunzel.

This is a metaphor... Anyway.

In Rapunzel, Rapunzel gets trapped in a tower, waiting for a prince to save her. In fact, almost all princesses are like that.

So, what I'm saying is that if you're playing a girl that has a crush on a boy or vice versa, the object of affection shouldn't just ignore everything. It's horribly boring--and embarrassing--when people do that.

It makes people feel stupid to push for romance when the other person isn't listening.

AND ANOTHER

Don't make romance between your characters.

That is really boring and irritating. I admit to doing that one of the first times I roleplayed (well, my boy character liked my girl character), but I haven't done it since. If you want romance between two characters so badly, ask another person to play the other end of the couple. Easier said than done, yes, because it's embarrassing, but that's better than being scowled and hissed at.

Lieutenant Shotgun
God modding is oft seen acting like God.

But it really isn't. It's killing, kidnapping (as Sailor said), etc., without asking the person you are doing that to, or controlling another person's character somehow.

Lieutenant Shotgun
Don't just jump in with a friendly "hello."

When you join a roleplay that has already started, read, or skim over, the last two posts so you have an idea what's going on.

In The Magic Within, a bunch of characters are staying in my character's house. Like, three people have tried to just jump in like they own the place. You can't do that. You have to get in the house--like a thief, knock on the door, get invited, whatever.

Same goes for conversations. You can't just jump in. Begin with "excuse me" and tap someone's shoulder, or something. You just can't randomly say something.

Faretheewell says important stuff.
faretheewell
It depends on the roleplay for me. I like to pick roles that will challenge me to do something different, and so I end up doing about 50/50 female/male. At the moment, I think I have type-cast myself a little too much. However, every time I try to break out of the gentle, sensitive, thoughtful role the role play dies on me!

Here's something to consider.

You are more than just a talking head.

When you roleplay, you have a whole body to work with. Consider the physical details of what your character is doing. Do they have any nervous ticks? Do they move their hands when they talk? Are their arms folded? Are they tapping their toes?

For example, whenever one of my characters gets nervous he runs his fingers through his hair. Another one pushes his glasses up his nose. A couple of my characters pace when they think. Some of my characters get very, very still.

As well as having an entire body, you have your character's entire emotional and mental landscape. This is a great place to expand on your character's history, personality, and motivations. Why has she decided to do this? What is he thinking? What does she feel right now?

Thirdly, your character's body and mind are occupying a space. What does the space look like? What objects are in the space? How does your character interact with these objects? What does your character think and feel about their surroundings?

Consider the following. I start with a basic one-line dialogue. Without changing the characters or the setting, I then create three completely different tones by adding physical, emotional and scenic details.

a) "Yes, I see what you mean," Jane said.

b) Jane furrowed her brow and quickly flipped a couple of pages. She stopped and read the passage he had pointed out. "Yes, I see what you mean," she said.

Sitting back in her chair and folding her arms, she raised her eyes to the low ceiling. She would have to re-think this whole thing.

c) Jane's eyes skipped over the page and read the passage he was pointing at twice. She leaned much closer to him than would really have been necessary. The heat coming off his arm was making her giddy and her breath was coming in short gasps.

"Yes, I see what you mean," she said. She would have agreed to anything he said at this point.

d) "Yes," Jane said. "I see what you mean." Her voice was tight and she had the sudden urge to throw the book at his head. She hated it when he was right!

Why was she here, anyway? There was no reason for it. She turned and eyed the door. It was only, what, five steps away? The room with it's low ceiling was getting very claustrophobic with only the two of them, and yet the door was too far away.

Lieutenant Shotgun

Lieutenant Shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:44 pm
Vocab

This should be further up here... oh well.

Player: Someone in a roleplay

Creator: The one who created the roleplay

Bio: People get confused with this. A BIO should include history AND personality, not one or the other. It is a combination of the two.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:51 pm
Making a good roleplay

YES.

Making a good, popular roleplay is hard.

First, be original.

Second, think. Think hard. think of a song, a show. Some of the most fun roleplays are series-related. Think of a movie, your life, anything!

Note: Series-based roleplays are HARD. You need to find a good series, then give all the information--so even people who haven't seen it can apply--AND make profile codes accordingly.

Thirdly. Think, has this been done before? If you're making a high school roleplay, what's original about it? A series based roleplay; has it been done? Then check some, and make sure it's original.

Lieutenant Shotgun

Lieutenant Shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:54 pm
Things you'll need

To make your roleplay understandable and enjoyable.

1. A nice opening post.
Possibly with a picture, a quote or song lyrics...

2. Rules.
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. And remember to enforce them.

3. Setting.
Where and when the story takes place. In a school setting, describe or show a picture of the uniforms and such. This should be the longest post.

4. Parts.
The parts people can be, what they do, and how many people can be that part.

5. Profiles
The profile code! You can edit the example I gave if you wish.
Include here, or in the rules, how you ant to receive them. By PM or in the thread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:55 pm
Moar reserved spots lol

i'm typing random things in these lol so I can waste time lol and not press submit then get the "please try again later lulz" thing LOL!  

Lieutenant Shotgun

Lieutenant Shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:56 pm
Q and A

I will post all the questions and their answers here!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:57 pm
I think I'm going to have information take up the entire first page.  

Lieutenant Shotgun

Lieutenant Shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:57 pm
I think I'm going to do that Q and A thing. Good idea, right? 8D  
03. ✿ - - - Role Playing

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items