Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

your language?
  swear?
  no swear?
View Results

viper_353

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:13 pm
Hey, I was just wondering--it's kinda known as a Christian thing not to swear. I know a lot of Christians who do swear, and I personally don't, but some people have told me that they recognize Christians sometimes by the fact that they just don't. So, I was wondering--what are your thoughts on swearing, and why should we do/not do it?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:00 pm
I have never seen an issue with swearing or any other so-called "foul" or "derogatory" language of any kind, ever. As long as it is used properly swearing can enhance your speach or at leasty the meaning youy are trying to convey.  

Lazarus The Resurected

Call Me Apple

Sparkly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:28 am
Lazarus The Resurected
I have never seen an issue with swearing or any other so-called "foul" or "derogatory" language of any kind, ever. As long as it is used properly swearing can enhance your speach or at leasty the meaning youy are trying to convey.

If you want to enhance your speech, or convey a message and you need to resort to cursing - then you need to expand your vernacular.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:37 pm
In high school I almost never swore. Since I've gotten into college, I do more frequently. It fluctuates between very little and moderately. I feel like sometimes swear words are good for conveying a certain meaning (though I do agree with Apple). But of course, I am mindful of my language, so I never swear around children, in places like churches or other houses of worship, or if I feel like it would offend someone around me.  

freelance lover
Crew

viper_353

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:18 pm
But aren't Christians supposed to be appart from the rest of the world?? I mean, not to judge whether or not it's wrong, but it does give people a bad impression of you, and that's something we're supposed to avoid...because how can we say Jesus has changed our lives when we act the same as everybody else?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:45 am
I don't swear because to swear is a sign of inarticulateness; it is to use profanity because one has not the civil words to express oneself. Just my opinion. I don't mind other people swearing, as long as they're not dropping off clusterf***s into every sentence. mrgreen  

Galad Aglaron

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:44 pm
@Galad: I went ahead and censored your post, just to keep the language clean.

@viper: I'm going to assume that your comment was in response to me. Here's the thing: they are words. I think what you are saying is more important that how you say it in some instances. In my mind, calling someone a dog, swine, idiot, etc is just as bad as using any four letter word or variation. You can be swearing but be saying nothing malicious, or you can have a squeaky clean mouth and still be slandering an individual.

Plus, swear words are just part of my world and work. I'm a theatre major, and most contemporary plays have language in them. I simply can't avoid them if I want to get work. As I said, I think most of the time there are better words that can be used, but like any word in our language, it exists for a reason and conveys a certain message.

And at the end of the day, they're words society has deemed "dirty". They're certainly not appropriate in all situations, but as I already said, I think what you're saying is more important than how you're saying it. In the grand scheme of things, I think there are more significant ways to lead a life set apart as a Christian as well. I'm not advocating swearing, but I also don't think it's the worst thing in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:25 pm
Okay, I get that. I'm doing performing arts too and stuff outside of school, and occasionally there's something I don't agree with in there.
But I kinda thought of this topic after I asked my friend if she thought this guy was a Christian (which he is) and she told me that she's pretty sure he is, cause he doesn't swear. And so I was pretty amazed--that is the way she identified him in his belifs, so I kinda think it tells people a lot about us from what we say to them!  

viper_353

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:50 pm
viper_353
Okay, I get that. I'm doing performing arts too and stuff outside of school, and occasionally there's something I don't agree with in there.
But I kinda thought of this topic after I asked my friend if she thought this guy was a Christian (which he is) and she told me that she's pretty sure he is, cause he doesn't swear. And so I was pretty amazed--that is the way she identified him in his belifs, so I kinda think it tells people a lot about us from what we say to them!

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that that means he's a Christian. I know a girl who's a deist who swear less than most Christians I know (read: not at all). Some people just dislike swear words, regardless of their religious beliefs. There are other faiths that disprove of language as well, so he may fall into that.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:50 am
I'm inclined to agree with Freelance in that the issue of swearing, cursing and 'foul' language in Christianity is more to do with the user's intent or the feeling that he/she is conveying rather than the language itself.

They are words like any other. Words are meaningless without the ideas they are expressing. If the idea is that of hate towards God and towards one's fellow man, then the sin lies there, not in the word.

To answer the original post and explain what happened: it wasn't that the Christian was identified as a Christian because he didn't swear, nor was it that he was noticed because he didn't. It was because he was different than those in his environment. For example, the effect would be the same if one person within a group swore and the rest didn't. It's the difference in behaviour that made him noticeable. The fact that he's a Christian is incidental, as has already been pointed out, because many people who do not have a faith actively choose not to swear.

Personally, I feel that there is nothing quite like a swear/curse word to express the appropriate kind of idea/feeling for that specific moment in time.

Priestley

comfylove

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:41 am
I don't go out of my way to swear. Sometimes it happens, but since I've become a Christian, it has really become infrequent. It's not like I am even trying. It's pretty awesome.

However, Christians that think that they are "better" than other Christians because they do not curse really get on my nerves. It's legalism and pride.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:07 am
comfortably_dumb
I don't go out of my way to swear. Sometimes it happens, but since I've become a Christian, it has really become infrequent. It's not like I am even trying. It's pretty awesome.

However, Christians that think that they are "better" than other Christians because they do not curse really get on my nerves. It's legalism and pride.

It should be a credit to them and it should be shown as a good example (according to Jesus) of what Christians are to do (according to Paul), but should not be used for their own glory (according to Jesus).

It's not a sin to have pride, but there is no heavenly reward for those whose pride is for personal glory.

It sounds like you're jealous of those who set a better example.

Priestley

viper_353

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:47 pm
Well I know that it doesn't mean he's a Christian neccesarily, I'm just saying that that's something that people do look for and is therefore significant. I'm not saying that all Christians won't swear, and all athiests will!
@comfortably: Hey, good job! That's really encouraging!! It's great to hear!!

And yeah, I understand what u guys are all saying...that words are given meaning through intentions...God judges the intentions of the heart, etc... But what I'm saying is that they do have meaning to people. That this is what we're given to judge on, and the fact is that people judge you on what they can obviously see.
and cursing and swearing is just as much a temptation to some people as drinking and sex are. They're all different things satan gives us to tempt us, and we each have our own things we struggle with! Just thought I'd add that...and priestly what u said about glory is true!!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:42 pm
viper_353
Well I know that it doesn't mean he's a Christian neccesarily, I'm just saying that that's something that people do look for and is therefore significant. I'm not saying that all Christians won't swear, and all athiests will!
@comfortably: Hey, good job! That's really encouraging!! It's great to hear!!

And yeah, I understand what u guys are all saying...that words are given meaning through intentions...God judges the intentions of the heart, etc... But what I'm saying is that they do have meaning to people. That this is what we're given to judge on, and the fact is that people judge you on what they can obviously see.
and cursing and swearing is just as much a temptation to some people as drinking and sex are. They're all different things satan gives us to tempt us, and we each have our own things we struggle with! Just thought I'd add that...and priestly what u said about glory is true!!

It's true that swear words aren't always appropriate. I work with kids, so I obviously don't swear around them. There are other instances that commend respect, and those words aren't appropriate then. But in the end they're just words. Besides, we're called not to judge others, so if someone is judging me for swearing now and then they might not be someone I want to associate with anyway.

And alcohol and sex being sinful is definitely a subject for another topic.

freelance lover
Crew

Priestley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:02 pm
viper_353
But what I'm saying is that they do have meaning to people. That this is what we're given to judge on, and the fact is that people judge you on what they can obviously see.

What valid conclusions about a person's character can one draw from their swearing? Very few.  

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games