Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Calory counting; how can you live with it?! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tragic Figure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:43 pm
I'm... being very serious when I state this. I tried reading through the journals, and all I get was calories counted, calories counted, calories counted...

I don't get how people can live like that. o_o I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to just eat healthy stuff instead of checking the box of your cereal, weighing in how much is in there, checking the milk and golly if it's 100 calories too much it's no apple for me for lunch..?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:38 pm
The Devils Dancefloor
I'm... being very serious when I state this. I tried reading through the journals, and all I get was calories counted, calories counted, calories counted...

I don't get how people can live like that. o_o I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to just eat healthy stuff instead of checking the box of your cereal, weighing in how much is in there, checking the milk and golly if it's 100 calories too much it's no apple for me for lunch..?

Yeah, I pretty much never, ever look at the amount of calories in things. But being a diabetic, I'm a strict carbohydrate counter (because how much insulin I take depends on the number of carbohydrates in the food I put in my mouth, blah blah etc.), and sometimes I can gather the calories from that in my head. Never exact, by y'know, it's become a natural thing where I can practically guess the right nutrition facts of whatever I'm eating.

Anyyyyway, yeah, I think people should just automatically pick what's healthiest with their common sense, rather than look at every little thing and calculate... less strict on yourself, that way. Because honestly, you can lose weight even with a lot of calories now and then. Just have to match it up with the exercise.

out of the woods

__penguin__
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:19 pm
I've tried to count calories before, but when you eat home-cooked meals or things like that, it's way too difficult. Now I just try to vaguely go by the food pyramid and just not eat junk food or fast food or crap like that. I think that works out much better.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:39 pm
kangaskhaaan

Anyyyyway, yeah, I think people should just automatically pick what's healthiest with their common sense, rather than look at every little thing and calculate...

I think thats the issue for a lot of people, especially starting out, they just dont know what is healthy. Or they do, but dont know how much is too much. I ate plenty of healthy stuff before i started trying to lose weight, I was overweight because I simply ate too much of them.

Calorie counting isnt that hard. You get an idea for rough calorie ranges for food, so its not like every time you eat you have to be near your book or computer to look it up. Its a tool like any other. Its not the be all and all of course- if you get all your calories from chocolate every day, you're not going to be particularly healthy. But its helped me decide how much is a healthy amount of bread, pasta, fruit, milk, cheese etc.

I've been calorie counting for nearly 2 years now with great success. It works for some people and not for others.  

Iconised Ghost

Sunsway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:41 am
I thought about it, but I think it'd be too difficult to count calories (I just don't have the patience). I think it's a great idea to actually listen to your body, but that's something people have to tune in to. Whatever works for the individual, I suppose.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:57 am
Counting calories would stress me out to no end.
Anything over 100 makes me wig out a bit and I really don't know how to control it. 100 calories is 100 calories. It's not going to make me gain ten pounds but it still scares me.

I just don't count. If I do read up on the calories, I note it but stop myself from adding it all up and doing all the carbs and sugars and fats. I just couldn't handle the stress.

I try for portion control. It's hard but doable, more so than counting. For me at least. I also try to eat healthier. No matter the calories, there are always healthier options.  

mominchat

mominchat

Sweet Smoker

10,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:09 am
Well, I don't. I haven't in a long time. It never really helped me. So I just try to focus on not overeating.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:31 am
For me, I just do generalizations of how many calories are in my foods, especially when I eat out. After a while, I just kind of know what is in different meals, so I don't even really have to take any time to figure it out.

I found a lot of surprises when I was counting calories, like how many calories are in things that you don't even think twice about: dressings, toppings, drinks, even fruit. When you count calories, you can be surprised just how many more calories you are really taking in than you think you are, which is a big reason why a lot of people don't loose weight.

There are a lot of calories in most fruits and even vegetables. If you eat tons of fruit, you might as well just eat a bowl of ice cream because it can work similarly. No, it is not as bad for you, but it still contains sugar. Too much sugar becomes fat, whether it is from fruit or candy.

Loosing weight isn't just about eating healthy if you have no control over the healthy food you eat. The only way to loose weight is to burn more calories than you take in, which is really hard to do if you don't know how many calories you are taking in.  

Goldenlici

Kasumi Kama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:16 pm
Back when I was really into my weight loss, I was a religious calorie counter. It really does work if you do it correctly. Of course, as someone else said, it's not for everyone.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:21 am
Goldenlici

There are a lot of calories in most fruits and even vegetables... it still contains sugar. Too much sugar becomes fat, whether it is from fruit or candy.

Sorry if it's off topic, but that's a good point. If you get sugar cravings then you can substitute candy with fruit. The glucose in fruit is also a healthier option to the sugar in candy because it's natural and not processed. Same with honey.  

Sunsway

Goldenlici

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:11 am
X-ponential
Goldenlici

There are a lot of calories in most fruits and even vegetables... it still contains sugar. Too much sugar becomes fat, whether it is from fruit or candy.

Sorry if it's off topic, but that's a good point. If you get sugar cravings then you can substitute candy with fruit. The glucose in fruit is also a healthier option to the sugar in candy because it's natural and not processed. Same with honey.

And, you can eat more fruit than candy for the same amount of calories, like a cup of fruit can have as much calories as a couple gummy bears or something. It is a good alternative IF you don't eat too much fruit.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:16 am
Sugary vegetables also, carrots and corn are some of my favourites.  

Tandahda
Crew

Goldenlici

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:36 am
Seraphsody
Sugary vegetables also, carrots and corn are some of my favourites.

I love corn. Frozen corn is a great sugar -craving stopper. Although, I have to be careful not to eat too much.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:07 pm
I don't count calories. I do try to portion my meals, though. One of my biggest issues is eating a larger portion than I actually need. And I know generally what things are lower-calorie and healthier, but I don't physically count every calorie.  

CherokeeAlex

Anbaachan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:45 pm

I count calories. People say they can't do it, they worry about portion control, but that's really all you are doing while counting your calories. Anything in a box or jar has the nutritional info on the side. It's very easy, whether you are counting calories or not, to see what a serving is. The only difference is, I'm keeping a tally of what I eat and how much, which is recommended in dieting to begin with.

There are several calorie counting books out there, and they come in pocket size and some even list restaurants (though, some restaurants post the caloric value on their website. Mc Donalds, Taco Bell, Panera, to list a few.). And most are under $10. I've always found my book helpful and keeping a journal can be a pain at times, but it worked for me.

I did at one point lose 20lb counting calories. Unfortunately, i had a lot of free time to plan meals and exercise back then, compared to now. I wish I can say I kept it off, but I didn't. But it is my intention to go back onto that type of dieting guide until it becomes habit again. Because once you're used to it, there are some foods you just know how much to eat because you've portioned it out enough.

And that's how I count calories. biggrin

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games