Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Weight Loss Diaries and Journals
High ho Silver, away! [kangaskhaaan's Journal] Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

out of the woods

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:21 pm
I'm very unmotivated. I have so many resources, yet I fail to utilize them because I'd rather be doing something else. Something more fun. Something I can actually focus my attention on for a longer period of time. It's time I try once again to change this. Sharing my progress with you guys, I'm hoping, will help me with my motivation. I want to lose weight due to my diabetes, since the heavier you are as a diabetic, the greater a risk you have for health complications. I didn't get diabetes because I was overweight already, but because of chance. I was a healthy little kid then, but over the past ten years I've steadily gained.

My highest point was 210 lbs when I was around 15-16 years old. I went down to 180 over the span of a year due to a bunch of life troubles that had me depressed, and when I'm depressed I don't like to eat, since it makes me sick. This past month or two, I gained 20 lbs back for whatever reason, so I'm back to 200 lbs. According to those BMI graphs, I'm obese. 31.3 BMI, as my height is 5"7'.

Where I'm at, there's a pool. I also have a bike, and a skooter (one of those razor ones). Obviously, there are blocks to walk on and around in the neighborhood. I also have a gym membership from when I attempted to work out, but I only went three or four times before I eventually stopped going. I still have it, but am contemplating whether or not to end it so I don't have to pay anymore, and just use other things. I think there are some Richard Simmons dvds around here somewhere, too.

As for my eating habits, they'll kind of all over. I don't necessarily eat a lot of fast food because we have home cooked meals, but I'm known to splurge on that occasionally. I don't really have urges to eat anything unhealthy though. Just whatever is available or around, so it's not difficult to refrain from eating particular things if there's something else there. Although, I have acquired a habit of not eating at the right times. I usually don't have breakfast, so I eat somewhere between 2-5PM for the first time. Then I have dinner around 7, and both of these times I eat quite a bit to make up for waiting for so long, even though I'm never hungry until then.

My weight: 200 lbs
Height: 5"7'
My goal weight: 130 lbs
Amount to lose: 70 lbs
*this would put me at a healthy BMI of around 20.

Date to complete: by July '10.
Pounds a month: around 9 lbs.
Pounds a week: around 2 lbs.

Calories a day: about 1300
Calories a meal: 400 for breakfast, 400 for lunch, 500 for dinner.

Exercise a day: 1-2 hours a day.

Currently:
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Side 'projects': find ways to get clearer skin (most of it's on the sides of my face), wait desperately for my natural hair color to grow out (I might cut all the black off despite there not being much there).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:11 pm
Here's a schedule I plan to start next week. Benefits me to write out the specifics, especially exact times, or else I'm going to procrastinate until I end up not doing it at all. I've written out schedules TONS of times, but hopefully this time I'll actually take it to heart and DO IT. If anyone knows of any good ways to force yourself to exercise and eat right, please feel free to share that advice. Because myself doesn't want to cooperate with me most of the time.

Monday - Thursday
Wake up at 7AM.
Eat breakfast.
Dress, Clean, Etc.
Walk to the Bus which leaves at 8:50AM.
Work out for 2 hours.
Take 11:29 Bus back.
Take 11:54 Bus.
Have lunch at school.
Do some workout for an hour. (Maybe walk around a park.)
Take 3:33 Bus.
Take 3:44 or 4:15 Bus.
Have dinner at 6.
Take a walk at 7:30.
Shower.
Bed at 11.

Friday - Sunday
Wake up at 9AM.
Eat breakfast.
Dress, Clean, Etc.
Walk to the Bus which leaves at 10:50AM.
Work out for 2 hours.
Take 1:29 Bus back.
Have lunch.
Do a workout for an hour. (Dance videos, or walking.)
Have dinner at 6.
Take a walk at 7:30.
Shower.
Bed by at least 1. [ Except Sunday at 11. ]

The reason I mention the times to go to bed is due to my sad sleeping habits. I need to sleep more regularly to help my concentration and memory that's been shot over time, and besides, sleeping well also helps with every other aspect of health.

out of the woods

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:36 am
Yeahhhh I need to be better about my sleeping habits too. Good luck! You have great goals.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:18 pm
From how much I don't update this, you'd think I'd given up already. But alas, I have not! I'm 196lbs., and I actually haven't changed much of anything when it comes to my usual routine. I've just been eating less, because I know that these past few months I've been eating like a crazy person. Can't say I've been doing much exercise, to be honest, but I'm trying to get myself there. I'm planning to switch gyms -- to one that's closer so that the bus travel isn't as time consuming.

I've more or less been sitting around. I need to stop that, I know, but it's so easy to be lazy during winter break. All I do is play computer games. I'm lucky though, in that it's actually quite easy for me to lose weight. If I change my eating habits AND exercise daily, I know I can get it done. I just need a few slaps in the face, and maybe someone to shove me out of this computer chair. I always thought it'd be more fun to do stuff like this with someone else, that way you don't think you're the only one that cares. Anyone want a weight loss partner? :]

So 196 lbs. I have 66 lbs to go, and I want to get there by August of next year. Think it's possible?

Updated pictures, since I figure pictures will help me feel better when I look back at all of this when I'm at my goal weight! Plus, visuals are more fun. Oh, and I almost forgot! Thanks for the luck, Seraphsody! :]

User Image
User ImageUser ImageUser Image

out of the woods

Anzelia La Belle

Generous Giver

12,125 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:26 pm
Wanna be my weightloss partner ; A; it would so help me aha. Congrats on the lose of weight. And yes I think you can reach your goals by then XD I hope i can reach my mine x.x

Also: Damn you tall people and your ability to carry weight easier ; A; just kidding.

wow you got a purdy body :'D  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:40 pm
Wow seeing your progress is really inspiring! biggrin you look so good!  

SMOKEYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

out of the woods

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:06 pm
I have to be honest and say things haven't been going too well on my end. Not to say that I've given up, but lately I've been absolutely horrible. I'm not going to use the holidays as an excuse for it. True, there're more sweets around, but it was all me when it came down to eating too much.

So yeah, I'm back to 200 lbs. Not something I'm proud of. I've let myself consume way too much junk food and sweets, and let myself be a lazy bum by hardly getting up to exercise at all. To make things worse, "that time" makes me feel even bigger than I am. Thanks, period, for rubbing it in!

I plan to get back on track starting now. No more sweets. I think a New Year's Resolution will make me feel even more obligated to get my arse into gear. I feel really uncomfortable at this weight, and I hate the feeling. I'm scared I'll be back at the highest weight I've been.

NOOOOO, I won't let it happen!

No pictures this time. Too sad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:47 pm
New Year, so a NEW RESOLUTION!

Which will be... dun dun dun... prepare for the obvious..

TO LOSE 70 LBS BY THE END OF AUGUST!

In the healthiest way possible, so if I can't do it in a healthy way, I'll be willing to accept that it'll take longer. In any case, I know my last post here was a big downer, but I disappointed myself. I give in very easily to my 'if I gain weight now, I'll just lose it another time' voice, and so I give in and eat whatever and keep procrastinating and procrastinating...

Now: 200 lbs.

No more junk food. No more sweets. No more snacks (unless necessary, being I'm a diabetic), and no more lazing about for hours on end. I have the whole month of January free, so I may as well take advantage of it.

out of the woods

out of the woods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:21 am
Firstly, I wanted to say thanks to Anzelia La Belle and Dr_Phish for the comments. You guys are super good to me, thank you!

See here, I'm going to give some examples of my diet as of lately, what with the holidays and all. I realize, despite enjoying healthy food, that I'm an incredibly unhealthy eater at times.

One day -
Breakfast
NONE

Lunch
Turkey sandwich on sourdough bread, chips, glass of milk.

Dinner
4 Handmade tacos.
Glass of milk.

Another day -
Breakfast
NONE

Lunch
Quiznos Cheesesteak sandwich.
Sobe Lifewater.

Dinner
A couple cups of hamburger helper type pasta.

Yet another day -
Breakfast
NONE

Lunch
Hamburger and fries from Burger King.
Iced tea.

Dinner
Chicken Nuggets.
Glass of milk.

As can be seen, I skip breakfast a LOT, like I've mentioned before. And what with the winter break, going out to eat has been very common. I also get lazy about making my own food, so that takes a double toll. Also... I drink quite a bit of milk. Anyone think that's a bad thing to do when losing weight? It's 2%. All I know is that I'm trying my best to convince myself to stop these silly eating habits and start persuasion with the use of "think about how great it'll end up in the end if you just endure a slightly strict diet now!"

Another question. What are all of your opinions on reverting to vegetarianism for the purpose of losing weight? Yay? Nay?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:58 am
Pertaining to the vegetarianism question, I'm wishy-washy on it. Really, I don't think that you should give up anything you enjoy eating. In fact, lean meats are packed full of protein and are quite good for you.
The thing about dieting is (or rather, lifestyle changing) is that you need to focus on eating more veggies anyway! So don't give up the meat, but eat more veggies along with them. Otherwise you might have a tendency to go carb-heavy and skimp a bit on the proteins and fats (which are absolutely necessary). If you like eating tofu etc, though, incorporate it. Eat a little of everything. But don't restrict like that unless you're doing it for moral or medical reasons (which this would be, but like, with a doctor's recommendation).

That's my two-cents. I say keep the meat but eat lean, not like 80/20 chuck but white meat chicken and leaner cuts of beef. And eat beans/tofu too if you want. (:

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

out of the woods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 pm
I'm a bit down because today I had to get surgery under my left arm, and there're stitches. That means I have to lay off on moving my body too much, especially my arm, for the next week or more. Probably several weeks. I'm not even sure if strenuous or adequate exercise that'll get the heart pumping will be possible until it heals completely. I guess this gives me time to perfect suitable eating habits, so maybe I can lose some pounds just by changing the foods I eat and the amount in which I consume them.

Also, thanks Stars in my Pocket. It did seem kind of sad to give up meat entirely. I'll try to keep what you said in mind, though I'll probably stray away from tofu because the last time I tried it, I didn't care for the texture. Weirded me out a bit. but I LOVE vegetables, so I think I can nail this. I was just curious about those people who go vegetarian out there.

ninja

Edit: I took my weight just now and I'm 197 lbs. Woohoo! I didn't even know I'd lost any! I'd take updated photos, but seeing as I just had surgery... you can get what I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:38 am
My mom is a vegitarian, so I know quite a bit about this. I absolutely DO NOT recommend it just for the purpose of weight loss for a couple of reasons.

First of all, meat has a lot of vitamins and nutrition that your body will be used to from eating it for many years. If you stop now, you will through your body off, which will not help with weight loss. Second, meat is probably your main source of protein. If you don't have protein, you won't be able to work out as efficiently and your muscles will suffer, which will also hinder your weight loss. Third, because of the loss of certain nutrients, especially iron, you will probably need suppliments. My mom had such a bad problem with her iron levels when she first switched that she had to get shots in her butt every month or so from the doctor. Finally, once you switch, it will be very hard to switch back because your body will forget how to process meats, so if you decide to switch, it might have to be permanent or be ready to deal with a painful transition back to meats.

Switching takes a lot of commitment that you might not be able to handle as well as having to commit to losing weight. Instead I would recommend just choosing one meat that you like that is high in protein and stick to that. My grandfather was also a vegitarian for many many years and for health and weight reasons, he actually switched back to eating only fish for the protein and nutrients. My Grandfather is 70 years old and in far better shape than me at 21, so I think he knows what he's doing.

Please think very very carefully before deciding to switch because it is a huge commitment.  

Goldenlici

out of the woods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:58 pm
I decided not to do the whole vegetarian bit! But I'm rather picky with my meat anyway. I can't stand fat being on meat, or grease, even if it's just tiny slivers. It freaks me out. So that rules out quite a bit that a person would normally be eating.

gonk

Starting weight: 200
Current weight: 196

Still the same. Still waiting for my arm to heal. My doctor said I could start using it the way I used to (for the most part) by February.

I CAN'T WAIT!

Also, I've made a recipe book made up of meals that are less than 400-500 calories. Nom nom. I'm ready to start bettering my diet!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:02 am
Wow, you look very good at that weight. My natural hair color is black too, and I dye it everything but. And my friends all harp at me to keep it that way, but I continue to dye it blonde, which looks natural on me. I do not know why I just really dislike my hair black, even though it looks good on other people.  

vanilla_bean_frappichino

Weight Loss Diaries and Journals

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces