Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Islam, Judaism, and Christianity - Same God? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Call Me Apple

Sparkly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:56 pm
Hey ya'll, a thought occurred to ask all of you..to see if we're all on the same page...

The other day I was talking to a Christian guy, and he thought that all of us (Islam, Judaism, and Christianity) have different Gods. Which...I think is wrong. But I've also met some Muslims who thought the same.

My reasoning behind on why I believe we all share the same God, is because in the Arabic Bible, God is written as "Allah" Also, Arab Christians still say "Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi" to people whether they are Christians or Muslims (the phrase means: May the blessings of God (allah) be upon you)

Also, the fact we're all part of the Abrahamic religion circle. And the fact our Qur'an has the same figures as the Bible, also a lot of similar stories.

((Guild seemed a bit dead, wanted a new fresh topic to discuss))

What do you think about this subject?
Sources are welcome, but please have enough respect to not post some biased off the chart source.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:46 am
Obviously there are differences in how each religion views their god. However, all three religions have the same core to them, so it does sort of make sense to say they all have the same god.  

zz1000zz
Crew

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:36 am
Saying we're not worshiping the same God is simply just denying facts. The Torah, Bible, and Quran all contain many of the same stories, with Jesus even being the most talked about prophet in the Quran. To deny the Jewish past of the Christian religion is to completely misunderstand most of what Jesus says, especially since Jesus was Jewish himself.

Historically they're all linked together as well, so I really have no idea how you could say they're not worshiping the same God.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:59 am
God is merely a title, not his actual name. His actual name would be YHVH or Yahweh. The Hebrew form is something I can't spell or pronounce so I'm not going to even try.

Allah means God in Arabic, just like someone who speaks Japanese would refer to God as Kami-sama or Okami-sama.

People say Allah and YHVH are not the same because of the small minute fact that Allah appears in a pre-Islamic religion. I believe one of the forms of God's name, Adonai, or Elohim also appears in a pre-Judaic religion as well. To say Allah is not the same as YHVH is like saying that the Judaic version of YHVH isn't YHVH at all.  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

ZENsei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:28 pm
1 John 2:
21 I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth. 22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. 23 No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also. 24 Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father. 25 And this is the promise that he made to us - eternal life.

26 I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you.

While Allah is a name used for "God" and is fine in itself (even Christians use the term), the Muslim and Rabbinic Jewish (or whomever else denies Jesus is the Incarnation) understanding of God is not the same.

Anyone denying that Issa/Iesous/Yeshua/Jesus is the Word Made Flesh, they are denying the true Father, also.

not meaning to offend at all, but I have many Muslim & Jewish friends and acquaintances - we are honest enough to acknowledge that our concept of God, Issa and such are not the same.

However, God is the judge and it is He who preserves us despite our limited understanding smile He is the one we give account to.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:22 pm
Call Me Apple
The other day I was talking to a Christian guy, and he denies that all of us (Islam, Judaism, and Christianity) have different Gods. Which...I think is wrong. But I've also met some Muslims who thought the same.

I'm slightly confused at your wording. You think his denial that Judaism, Christianity and Islam have different gods is wrong? His denial means that he thinks that they have the same god. It is difficult to see with what you disagree, because you follow with reasoning that they all share the same god. Please clarify.

Call Me Apple
My reasoning behind on why I believe we all share the same God, is because in the Arabic Bible, God is written as "Allah" Also, Arab Christians still say "Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi" to people whether they are Christians or Muslims (the phrase means: May the blessings of God (allah) be upon you)

'Allah' is simply the Arabic term for 'the god' ('al' + 'lah'). It was originally a term used by the pre-Islamic pagan Meccans for their supreme creator-god, which Islam seems to have borrowed in order to refer to the god of the Bible, or to create a monotheist religion in order to unify different Arabic tribes. It is quite possible that Islam heavily borrowed from the existing monotheist religions (Judaism and Christianity, for example) in order to do so.

A quick search on Wikipedia was enough to find this out.

The fact that it is an Arabic term is the only explanation for its use by Christian Arabs, who speak Arabic. I do not think there is any significance beyond this.

Call Me Apple
Also, the fact we're all part of the Abrahamic religion circle. And the fact our Qur'an has the same figures as the Bible, also a lot of similar stories.

One of the divides/distinctions between Islam and Judaism is, for example, that there is the claim that Islam is the original religion of Abraham. Another divide/distinction is that Islam is descended from Ishmael, not Isaac, and the legitimacy of both sons is of constant dispute between the religions.

Christianity was simply a cult of Judaism.

However, there is no reason as to why the Abrahamic religions have any more significance than other belief systems.

Priestley

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:23 pm
ZENsei
1 John 2:
21 I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth. 22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. 23 No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also. 24 Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father. 25 And this is the promise that he made to us - eternal life.

While Allah is a name used for "God" and is fine in itself (even Christians use the term), the Muslim and Rabbinic Jewish (or whomever else denies Jesus is the Incarnation) understanding of God is not the same.

Anyone denying that Issa/Iesous/Yeshua/Jesus is the Word Made Flesh, they are denying the true Father, also.

not meaning to offend at all, but I have many Muslim & Jewish friends and acquaintances - we are honest enough to acknowledge that our concept of God, Issa and such are not the same.

However, God is the judge and it is He who preserves us despite our limited understanding smile He is the one we give account to.
Actually if you go according to history, Judaism is the original. Christianity added on things. Islam potentially took away things. Jews and Muslims accept that Jesus existed and he was a prophet and a spiritual teacher. To add more to that, to both religions would be idolatry. To them saying Jesus is the incarnation is a taboo thing for them.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:28 pm
xLady Tsukiyox
God is merely a title, not his actual name. His actual name would be YHVH or Yahweh. The Hebrew form is something I can't spell or pronounce so I'm not going to even try.

Allah means God in Arabic, just like someone who speaks Japanese would refer to God as Kami-sama or Okami-sama.

People say Allah and YHVH are not the same because of the small minute fact that Allah appears in a pre-Islamic religion. I believe one of the forms of God's name, Adonai, or Elohim also appears in a pre-Judaic religion as well. To say Allah is not the same as YHVH is like saying that the Judaic version of YHVH isn't YHVH at all.

Then again, the tetragrammation is simply another way to identify said god. It's not even a name in the commonest sense, like my name is David in order to identify me within a group of other names (but this becomes more difficult when there is more than one David). The tetragrammation is a summary of what said god means: "I am that I am" or "I am that who causes to be" or whatever other translation of the tetragrammation you want to use. It was simply a way for Moses to show the Israelites the authority of his commands.

Personally, it sounds a lot like the phrase "it is what it is", which isn't so much an explanation as an encouragement to accept.

Priestley

ZENsei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:30 pm
xLady Tsukiyox
ZENsei
1 John 2:

Actually if you go according to history, Judaism is the original. Christianity added on things. Islam potentially took away things. Jews and Muslims accept that Jesus existed and he was a prophet and a spiritual teacher. To add more to that, to both religions would be idolatry. To them saying Jesus is the incarnation is a taboo thing for them.

Rabbinic Judaism is NOT the same as Judaism in the Bible - the practices are entirely different and added to.
If you attend synagogue and read the prayer book, it is basically a modern RE-interpretation of Judaism.

Jesus is the original, because he is the first born of ALL creation smile
What is called Christianity is not a breakaway cult, but as Jesus said, he came to FULFILL Torah, not to destroy it.
Jesus is the fulfilment of God's Word, IS the Word and is the Word made flesh

And yes I understand a Muslim or a Rabbinic Jew cannot claim that Jesus is God, hence my statement that the very concepts in these worldviews about God are completely different.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:32 pm
ZENsei

Or not, depending entirely on what actually happens.  

Priestley

ZENsei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:33 pm
Priestley
ZENsei

meaning...?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:34 pm
ZENsei
What is called Christianity is not a breakaway cult, but as Jesus said, he came to FULFILL Torah, not to destroy it.
Jesus is the fulfilment of God's Word, IS the Word and is the Word made flesh.

There is no way to know this.  

Priestley

ZENsei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:35 pm
Priestley
ZENsei
Jesus is the fulfilment of God's Word, IS the Word and is the Word made flesh.

There is no way to know this.

If God IS the judge, we WILL know one day... right?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:35 pm
ZENsei
xLady Tsukiyox
ZENsei
1 John 2:

Rabbinic Judaism is NOT the same as Judaism in the Bible - the practices are entirely different and added to.
If you attend synagogue and read the prayer book, it is basically a modern RE-interpretation of Judaism.

Jesus is the fulfilment of God's Word, IS the Word and is the Word made flesh

And yes I understand a Muslim or a Rabbinic Jew cannot claim that Jesus is God, hence my statement that the very concepts in these worldviews about God are completely different.
Actually he's not. Adam was the first of all Creation not Jesus. Me thinks you should read Genesis over.

The word fulfill means to complete or to end. Not destroy. The Old Laws no longer apply to us because we're not Jews. The fact that the Torah AND the Tanakh does prove that Christianity is an offshot of Judaism. Jesus himself was Jewish and good old Paul was a Pharisee.

The Israelites themselves denied Jesus. neutral Or did the fact that they went to Pilate to have him executed completely escape you?

And there is no such thing as Rabbinistic Judaism. There is Orthodox Judaism, and Reform Judaism. neutral  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Priestley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:36 pm
ZENsei
Priestley
ZENsei

meaning...?

Meaning what one believes might happen may not be what happens.

I'm here to provide sober reality where there may be drunkenness of imagination.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games