Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Different sections of Wicca? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your opinion of this book?
  Not worth the money
  Worth it, but with some caution
View Results

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:51 pm
I was just reading a post from Charcoal Kitten and she was considering Wicca. The replies said that Wicca is very sexually based. I have been reading about Wicca and I have not found anything in my books about it being sexual. I have read about a few rituals where they jump over fires to increase fertility, but I haven't come across anything that would require 18+. I'll tell you the book I have. Wicca for Beginners; Fundamentals of Philosophy and Practice, by Thea Sabin. Is this wrong? Or is it just misleading?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:21 pm
I'd like to see the author's lineage first. She claims status as a high priestess in a Brit Trad coven somewhere in the Pacific northwest, and I'd like to know from which trad she hails and where it traces to. 3nodding But that's me.

Also, she may be an oathbreaker if this book has as much as some of the summaries online claim it does in it - mysteries are mysteries for a reason, after all, and those who share them with the uninitiated get a free trip to - of all places - the Christian hell.  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:50 pm
Aakosir
I was just reading a post from Charcoal Kitten and she was considering Wicca. The replies said that Wicca is very sexually based. I have been reading about Wicca and I have not found anything in my books about it being sexual. I have read about a few rituals where they jump over fires to increase fertility, but I haven't come across anything that would require 18+. I'll tell you the book I have. Wicca for Beginners; Fundamentals of Philosophy and Practice, by Thea Sabin. Is this wrong? Or is it just misleading?

First question you should probably ask, is what kind of authority does Sabin have on the topic? Is she an initiated Wiccan? Or is she just familiar with Outer Court information and uses it to build her own eclectic path from it?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:02 am
Violet Song jat Shariff
First question you should probably ask, is what kind of authority does Sabin have on the topic? Is she an initiated Wiccan? Or is she just familiar with Outer Court information and uses it to build her own eclectic path from it?
She claims High Priestess status in a BTW coven, which her husband is HP for. Hence my asking for trad name and lineage for her - I've heard that claim made before by other authors (or similar claims) only to see it unravel on inspection. 3nodding  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:23 am
Byaggha
I'd like to see the author's lineage first. She claims status as a high priestess in a Brit Trad coven somewhere in the Pacific northwest, and I'd like to know from which trad she hails and where it traces to. 3nodding But that's me.
Just for context- there are lineaged groups that do not hold to Scorplett's position on the term Wicca, and there seem to be a lot of them in the Pacific NW.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:29 am
TeaDidikai
Just for context- there are lineaged groups that do not hold to Scorplett's position on the term Wicca, and there seem to be a lot of them in the Pacific NW.
Mm, that is a point, but it doesn't make me any less curious. xd And I would still like to know which group it is, as that may make a difference on the information's quality.

Too much time in M&R.  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:20 am
So you think this person just kind of created their own coven, not really relating to the original Wicca?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:29 pm
Thea Sabin is a 3rd Degree Gardnerian HPS based in the Seattle area. I am actually going to attend a party of hers, where I will meet her, so I can ask her if you like. I also know one of her first degree coveners personally (he was initiated by her); he helps out a bunch in my Outer Court training. They're legit and vouched for.

My HP is a 3rd Degree Gardnerian. He is legit. Yet, he does not hold the usual M&R or A&J stance on what is Wicca and what is not. He says he was a solitary Wiccan before he was initiated. Not all BTWs think the same on the "what is Wicca and what is not" debate. He considers me Wiccan. I disagree, but I have not pressed the issue.

As for the book, I own a copy. I think that it's a really valuable book because it goes into detail about the importance of meditation, visualization, grounding, centering, etc., which are invaluable skills that other "Wicca 101" books gloss over. I have basically ignored the rest of it, but I think it's a great book if you're interested in becoming initiated or starting your own Wicca-inspired neopagan path.

Deborah Lipp is another famous Wiccan author. She is a 3rd degree Gardnerian, also. I picked up her book called "The Study of Witchcraft," which, along with her other books, is excellent. In it, she labels some things "Radical Wicca" (stuff like "Dianic Wicca") and "Eclectic Wicca." She says that one of the things that "Traditional Wiccans" can learn from "Eclectic Wiccans" is that the Lord and Lady are available to all.

This may be a matter of her UPG. As Wicca is orthopraxic and not orthodoxic, the UPG of initiated Trad Wiccans differs. Her UPG could say that the Lord and Lady are not exclusive, while other UPG says they are. I honestly won't know for sure until I'm initiated and I experience the Mysteries for myself, but I lean heavily toward the M&R stance that the only Wiccans are BTWs.

My advice is to do your own research and do it well. Formulate your own stance.  

aoijea23487

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:49 pm
Byaggha
Also, she may be an oathbreaker if this book has as much as some of the summaries online claim it does in it - mysteries are mysteries for a reason, after all, and those who share them with the uninitiated get a free trip to - of all places - the Christian hell.

It's extremely difficult to share a mystery, as they are experiential in nature and cannot be "penned down" or verbally articulated. The practices that set one up for experiencing a Wiccan mystery, however, are oathbound, and revealing those is what makes you an oathbreaker in this context. She does not reveal those practices in her book.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:29 am
Illiezeulette
It's extremely difficult to share a mystery, as they are experiential in nature and cannot be "penned down" or verbally articulated. The practices that set one up for experiencing a Wiccan mystery, however, are oathbound, and revealing those is what makes you an oathbreaker in this context. She does not reveal those practices in her book.
Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure that was covered, at minimum, because that's kinda a big deal. 3nodding Appreciate it!

Hm. And thanks for pointing out the mysteries thing - I'm going to have to reword that in future, if it comes up. biggrin  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:11 pm
Byaggha
Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure that was covered, at minimum, because that's kinda a big deal. 3nodding Appreciate it!

Hm. And thanks for pointing out the mysteries thing - I'm going to have to reword that in future, if it comes up. biggrin

The difference between the actual mystery itself and the rite that sets you up for a mystery is a minute but important detail. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:16 am
Illiezeulette
The difference between the actual mystery itself and the rite that sets you up for a mystery is a minute but important detail. 3nodding
True, true. 3nodding

Still, I've always been leery about being told 'this is the REAL RITUAL OF WICCA PEOPLES WHEN THEY INITIATES!', mainly because I feel it's a bit close to Oathbreaking for my tastes. I might just be really, really nuts about that kind of thing though. Especially given I don't know the exact perameters of what Oathbreaking is, being an outsider to it and never having been told what is and isn't cool to talk about aside from asking lineaged people and waiting until I hit the one question they refused to answer and backing off. xd  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:51 pm
Illiezeulette
It's extremely difficult to share a mystery, as they are experiential in nature and cannot be "penned down" or verbally articulated.

Is this your personal opinion or are you commenting on the nature of mysteries itself?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:22 pm
Sophist
Illiezeulette
It's extremely difficult to share a mystery, as they are experiential in nature and cannot be "penned down" or verbally articulated.

Is this your personal opinion or are you commenting on the nature of mysteries itself?

If it's personal, it's a very shared opinion. I'd say its a comment on the nature.  

maenad nuri
Captain

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:14 pm
maenad nuri
Sophist
Illiezeulette

If it's personal, it's a very shared opinion. I'd say its a comment on the nature.

To my knowledge, it is a direct comment on the nature of the Wiccan Mysteries. Perhaps not for all Mysteries of all religious traditions, but certainly for Wicca.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff