Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
When even bread has milk in it.. :( Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Can I still call myself vegan after this?
  Yes
  No
  Don't know, don't care, want gold
View Results

Thorndrop

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:01 am
I'm disgusted/annoyed/upset today.

This is probably a stupid post, but this is the first time I realised I'd accidentally eaten things I shouldn't have.

I've been vegan for about half a year now. But I'm 17 and I live with my family, who are vegetarians addicted to dairy. I never liked the stuff to begin with.

I'm going off my point here, so I'll just say what happened. This morning I was making myself some breakfast. I wanted toast. I grab the loaf of brown bread and something just happened to catch my eye that I never noticed before. Ingredients: ... skimmed milk powder. eek WHAT?? Since when did that happen?

Okay, so it isn't the bread we normally buy (that one actually says 'suitable for vegetarians and vegans' on the packaging) but I've eaten it already, and I'm just revolted with myself for it. As I said - it's the first time I've ate something I shouldn't have done (to my knowledge, at least.. confused ).  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:28 am
You can still definently call yourself a vegan. 'w'
It was an accident.
Now if you went off and ate jell-o or a pork chop, well you obviouslty know what that is.

I don't worry too much about milk and eggs in things like breads, I don't eat them very often anyway, it's when I go to eat my normal foods that I avoid it where possible.
If i'm freaking starving cuz i was rushing out the door and forgot to put my lunch in my school bag and a friend gives me their PB&J sandwich, I'll eat it. Its things like the school chicken nuggets or pizza that I definently won't eat.

And yes, I still call myself a vegan. It's not like i know I'm eating milk or dairy, it's just better than the other alternatives of food out there that may be right there.
I avoid it wherever possible through.
3nodding
If there's no nutrition label and its not like i'm blatantly not being vegan I don't sweat it.

*waits for people to bash me in calling me a hypocrite*  

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

poptart fuse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:33 am
Yeah, don't worry about it, it was totally an accident. heart It can happen to anyone (hey, I even accidentally drank something with whey in it once...I was just more careful about reading the ingredients next time).  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:51 pm
Sakakikala
It was an accident.
Now if you went off and ate jell-o or a pork chop, well you obviouslty know what that is.

I don't worry too much about milk and eggs in things like breads, I don't eat them very often anyway, it's when I go to eat my normal foods that I avoid it where possible.
If i'm freaking starving cuz i was rushing out the door and forgot to put my lunch in my school bag and a friend gives me their PB&J sandwich, I'll eat it. Its things like the school chicken nuggets or pizza that I definently won't eat.

And yes, I still call myself a vegan. It's not like i know I'm eating milk or dairy, it's just better than the other alternatives of food out there that may be right there.
3nodding
If there's no nutrition label and its not like i'm blatantly not being vegan I don't sweat it.

If that's true, you're not a vegan regardless of what you call yourself.
I'm not going to call you a hypocrite, but the only one you're lying to is yourself.  

Death of Cool

Death of Cool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:54 pm
Thorndrop
I'm disgusted/annoyed/upset today.

This is probably a stupid post, but this is the first time I realised I'd accidentally eaten things I shouldn't have.

I've been vegan for about half a year now. But I'm 17 and I live with my family, who are vegetarians addicted to dairy. I never liked the stuff to begin with.

I'm going off my point here, so I'll just say what happened. This morning I was making myself some breakfast. I wanted toast. I grab the loaf of brown bread and something just happened to catch my eye that I never noticed before. Ingredients: ... skimmed milk powder. eek WHAT?? Since when did that happen?

Okay, so it isn't the bread we normally buy (that one actually says 'suitable for vegetarians and vegans' on the packaging) but I've eaten it already, and I'm just revolted with myself for it. As I said - it's the first time I've ate something I shouldn't have done (to my knowledge, at least.. confused ).

Store bought bread is tricky. You got to watch out not only for blatant stuff like milk, or whey but for other crap like L-cysteine, sodium stearoyl-lactylate, and stearoyl-2 lactylate, all of which may or may not be derived from animal products.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:28 pm
Death of Cool
Sakakikala
It was an accident.

3nodding

I'm not going to call you a hypocrite, but the only one you're lying to is yourself.

o.0 But really, if there's no way to check labels what do you expect me to do? STARVE?! I mean really. If there's a label, I'll check it and if there's ANYTHING from an animal I don't eat it. =o=
And I don't forget my lunch often.
stare
I normally eat my usual foods, vegan veggie dogs, baked potatoes(without cheese), tofu, scrambled eggsTOFU, fruits, veggies(Fried okra is amazing), cereal with soy-milk, edamame, juice, water, etc.

Not a single thing that contains any animal products.
So I say feel safe to call me vegan for eating a PB&J sandwich once in a blue moon when I forget my lunch, which isn't often(Like once every couple months). >_>

I understand it's not good to make ANY exceptions, And I do my best to not to.
My mom is trying to force me to stay a vegetarian and not go vegan(I'm winning by a long shot by the way) She expects me to eat "Free Range" eggs. *rolls eyes*
[sarcasm]Because we ALL know how well free range chickens are treated.[/sarcasm]

And I don't lie to myself. I try my best to be honest with everybody, but the only way to do that is to be honest with yourself.
And it's not like I assembled the PB&J sandwich. If it was me making it I would have been able to read the ingredients. If I saw the bread had milk in it I would have bought a different bread/made a different lunch.
You can't control everything.
I mean if we could, we'd memorize this whole list to memory: http://www.happycow.net/health-animal-ingredients.html
and could pick any one of these things out in an instant and know it was not vegan.

For all I know the sandwich could have been made with all vegan things.
stare

I just do the best I can do, I'm sorry that is not good enough for you.  

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Death of Cool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:51 pm
Sakakikala
Death of Cool
Sakakikala
It was an accident.

3nodding

o.0 But really, if there's no way to check labels what do you expect me to do? STARVE?! I mean really. If there's a label, I'll check it and if there's ANYTHING from an animal I don't eat it. =o=
And I don't forget my lunch often.
stare
I normally eat my usual foods, vegan veggie dogs, baked potatoes(without cheese), tofu, scrambled eggs, fruits, veggies(Fried okra is amazing), cereal with soy-milk, edamame, juice, water, etc.

Not a single thing that contains any animal products.
So I say feel safe to call me vegan for eating a PB&J sandwich once in a blue moon when I forget my lunch, which isn't often(Like once every couple months). >_>

I understand it's not good to make ANY exceptions, And I do my best to not to.
My mom is trying to force me to stay a vegetarian and not go vegan(I'm winning by a long shot by the way) She expects me to eat "Free Range" eggs. *rolls eyes*
[sarcasm]Because we ALL know how well free range chickens are treated.[/sarcasm]

And I don't lie to myself. I try my best to be honest with everybody, but the only way to do that is to be honest with yourself.
And it's not like I assembled the PB&J sandwich. If it was me making it I would have been able to read the ingredients. If I saw the bread had milk in it I would have bought a different bread/made a different lunch.
You can't control everything.
I mean if we could, we'd memorize this whole list to memory: http://www.happycow.net/health-animal-ingredients.html
and could pick any one of these things out in an instant and know it was not vegan.

For all I know the sandwich could have been made with all vegan things.
stare

I just do the best I can do, I'm sorry that is not good enough for you.

I see nothing but excuses, accusations and guilt there.
I didn't say anything about "not good enough" for me.
You seem to be referring to one incident, where in your first post you said "I don't worry too much about milk and eggs in things like breads".
If you eat bread with milk and eggs in it, you are not vegan. That's not a condemnation, that's not me judging you, that's just a FACT.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't care, don't call yourself a vegan.
I really don't give a s**t either way. It obviously bothers you since you're so freakin defensive about it though.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:30 pm
No sense in fighting, guys. Let's keep it clean. biggrin

I'm confused though, you said you're vegan but you eat scrambled eggs?  

Ailinea
Vice Captain

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:06 am
Ailinea
No sense in fighting, guys. Let's keep it clean. biggrin

I'm confused though, you said you're vegan but you eat scrambled eggs?

Lol no I don't eat eggs at all. lol.
i put [sarcasm] to note that sentence i was using was sarcasm.

My mom wants me to eat eggs but I haven't not for a good while.
Nor have I had any animal products for a good while.

And i do pay attention to labels, it's just there's times where when you have no other options available you'll take the one most likely to be vegan, provided there are no nutritional labels. stare

Not to mention my sister has celiac's disease so we're lucky if we get bread in our house like once a year. '~'
And yes, it was one incident but I do make a concious effort to pack myself vegan lunches for school.
And i've forgotten my lunch once scince I went vegan. crying
But i do forget my lunch once every couple months or so in general.
But Death of Cool I will start to keep some money in my bookbag so If I forget my food I'll simply by some chips. They're like the ONLY vegan options in our cafeteria! gonk
And I will not take anymore "chances" and eat something if there is a small risk it could not be vegan.
whee
I'm kinda excited. Building up a stronger will! heart  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:57 pm
I'm not saying go hungry instead of risking the possibility of eating something that may or may not be vegan. I've done it, I'm sure we've all done it.
Like I said, your first post made it sound like you just don't bother reading labels on stuff like bread on a regular basis.
Keeping extra cash around just in case is never a bad idea. You might be better off if you carry some cut up carrots and celery, or some fruit with you too. If nothing else, you can snack on that until you can get something substantial  

Death of Cool

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:28 pm
Of course you are still a vegan you just ate something without being too careful it's accident like all of us said here smile

yes I was amazed when I discovered that at very beginning, didn't know they put skimmed milk powder in bread nor milk solid in Vita soya milk drinks... mad

you know what sakakikala, US Mcdonalds even put beef flavoring in their french fries burning_eyes  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:42 pm
Kecitich
Of course you are still a vegan you just ate something without being too careful it's accident like all of us said here smile

yes I was amazed when I discovered that at very beginning, didn't know they put skimmed milk powder in bread nor milk solid in Vita soya milk drinks... mad

you know what sakakikala, US Mcdonalds even put beef flavoring in their french fries burning_eyes

I swear I read somewhere they put milk flavouring in them too.. I used to work at the dreaded McDonalds actually.. People thought I was a freak. lol  

Thorndrop

Dapper Genius

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:46 pm
yuck, that's is bad news Thorndrop, we never tried we may never know, so it's good that you worked in there smile at least it was history most of us ate meat and animals products when we were young because of this bad education system we do have around the world. but we can make big impact to this new generation because we are growing bigger in numbers! blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:04 pm
Kecitich

I know! Ugh! I'd never eat anything from mcdonald's unless it was a salad, and even then i'm leery! LOL.

Death of Cool
I'm not saying go hungry instead of risking the possibility of eating something that may or may not be vegan. I've done it, I'm sure we've all done it.
Like I said, your first post made it sound like you just don't bother reading labels on stuff like bread on a regular basis.
Keeping extra cash around just in case is never a bad idea. You might be better off if you carry some cut up carrots and celery, or some fruit with you too. If nothing else, you can snack on that until you can get something substantial

My bad when I said I don't worry, I meant when I forget to pack my lunch and a friend offers it to me. At home and whenever I can i'm a label obsessor.
And Cut up Carrots and Celery sounds like a great Idea!!! A lot easier to manage than having to cook fancy stuff. lol. 'w'
I just feel like somtimes I have to make fancier things like vegan cakes because people make fun of me for being vegan cuz they think I don't have as many yummy options in my foods. 'n'
And I HATE how people say they hate tofu! I mean really! The only people who hate tofu has never tried it nice and hot!!!  

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:06 am
Yeah, it was an accident. I am a vegetarian. Have been for a couple of years. I have not had any meat that I know of. But I would not be shocked to find out that some had slipped in at one time or another. For example, a lot of vegetable soups are made with chicken fat of all things! I ate some vegetable soup at a diner once about a year ago, and I still wonder about it to be honest! xp But oh well. What matters is that you're trying. One slip up can't take that away from you. 3nodding  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff