Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
How to know if you are Celtic? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bara no Uta

6,150 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:49 am
I was just wondering. My mom told me that I have some Celtic in me because some of my ancestors were Celtic. I'd just like to verify that this is true before I believe it, because she also told me before that Wicca was a "whatever feels right" religion (which, after reading up on the subject, I explained to her that this was not true)... so yeah.

I'm not quite sure, then, that I entirely understand what it is, since I had always thought that it was part of a religion and not the sort of thing that is considered to be inherited? I haven't been able to find much information on it, but I know that I do believe in animism (I think that's the word?).

Any help would be appreciated (including books on the subject, if you know any good ones).  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:55 am
Bara no Uta
I was just wondering. My mom told me that I have some Celtic in me because some of my ancestors were Celtic.

What do you think "Celtic" means?  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:05 am
My gut reaction is that if you have to ask, you probably aren't.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:08 am
Collowrath

The question isn't very meaningful.
There was no such people as "the Celts". The term "Celtic" is a linguistic, not ethnic or racial, term. It's similar to "Romance". You've got your p-Celts and your q-Celts.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:15 am
CuAnnan
Collowrath

There was no such people as "the Celts". The term "Celtic" is a linguistic, not ethnic or racial, term. It's similar to "Romance". You've got your p-Celts and your q-Celts.

Oh I know. smile I would say a good answer here would be "There aren't people that are 'Celts', rather, there are numerous groups of people that speak languages that belong to the Celtic family, which are further divided into the q-Celts (such as Irish), and p-Celts (such as Welsh). As for ethnicity or race, if you have to ask, you probably aren't."

But any answer that you could provide would probably be much better.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:20 am
Collowrath
CuAnnan
Collowrath

Oh I know. smile I would say a good answer here would be "There aren't people that are 'Celts', rather, there are numerous groups of people that speak languages that belong to the Celtic family, which are further divided into the q-Celts (such as Irish), and p-Celts (such as Welsh). As for ethnicity or race, if you have to ask, you probably aren't."

I was just using your post as a launching board.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:21 am
CuAnnan
Collowrath
CuAnnan
Collowrath

I was just using your post as a launching board.

Alright then. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:30 am
CuAnnan
Bara no Uta
I was just wondering. My mom told me that I have some Celtic in me because some of my ancestors were Celtic.

What do you think "Celtic" means?

Um... I think it's like a sub-type of Paganism (like the eclectic Pagans, etc etc). I also heard it's a "closed religion"... not that I'm exactly sure what that means.  

Bara no Uta

6,150 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:44 am
Bara no Uta
Um... I think it's like a sub-type of Paganism (like the eclectic Pagans, etc etc).

Nope. It's a linguistic grouping or, as a human adjective, denotes a person or people who speak a language that is Celtic (Irish, Welsh, Brytonic, etc).

Bara no Uta
I also heard it's a "closed religion"...

The Gael are a closed culture. I don't presume to speak for the Scots, the Bryton, the Manx or the Welsh.

Bara no Uta
not that I'm exactly sure what that means.

We don't accept converts.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:56 am
What divides the ps from the qs?  

Aino Ailill

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:13 pm
Aino Ailill

p faces one way, q the other. xD

Actually, it has to do with the word for "what" if I remember correctly (I think CúAnnan answered this elsewhere before). In Irish, it's cé, in Welsh, pé.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:26 pm
Collowrath
Aino Ailill

Harry: Hagrid, I've never known; what's the difference between a stalagmite and a stalactite?

Hagrid: One of em's got an 'm.'

Quote:
Actually, it has to do with the word for "what" if I remember correctly (I think CúAnnan answered this elsewhere before). In Irish, it's cé, in Welsh, pé.

Ah, thanks!  

Aino Ailill

Nines19

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:33 pm
Aino Ailill
Harry: Hagrid, I've never known; what's the difference between a stalagmite and a stalactite?

Hagrid: One of em's got an 'm.'

That part always amused me.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:39 pm
(in general terms) It is also good to note that just because one has ancestors who were of a certain culture... it would not automatically mean that one is of that culture.  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:38 pm
Collowrath
Aino Ailill

Not just the word "what".
I just use the word "what as an example".  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff