Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Harry Potter Guild of Gaia
The Hogwarts Monthly! May Issue 2015 [OPEN READ ME] Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you ready for the new issue !?
  Yes!!
  I didn't know we had a paper.
  Can I please be a writer !?
View Results

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:38 am
User Image

Hello!
I am the HogwartsMonthlyEditor, which means I'm responsible for keeping you up to date on the Hogwarts Monthly!
I have officially replaced the HogwartsMonthlyRep as this paper's spokesperson. I am simply the spokesperson, not the Editor.
The current Editor is
Aunt Slappy
Only the Hogwarts Monthlies are posted here. Please do not post here. If you want to find out more about the Monthly, make a comment, or something else, visit the Editors Office. The Hogwarts Monthly is published the first day of every month (unless otherwise announced).

Note: You can find the previous HM thread (and all the older Monthlies) here.

Current Status: Back in Business and will stay that way
Hogwarts Monthly is best viewed in Firefox/IE and Chrome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:43 am
What is the Hogwarts Monthly? How does this thread work?

The Hogwarts Monthly is our guild's monthly paper! It's the hard work of members of our very own guild. Each issue is intended for your enjoyment!
Any feedback on any of the Monthlies should be posted in the Editors Office, located in the Care-Taker's Office.

I'll always post the Monthlies in this thread and update the first page for your convenience. You can always find the most current issue of the Hogwarts Monthly in the posts below.
Current Issue :
Issue No. 3.12 MAY Issue 2015 Page 27

All other Issues can be found as follows:
Issue #3.11 June Issue 2013 Page 26
Issue #3.10 May 2013 Page 25
Issue #3.9 June 2012 Page 24
Issue # 3.8 May Issue: Page 23
Issue # 3.7 February Issue: Page 22

Issue#3.6 January Issue Page 20 and Page 21
#3.5 December IssuePage 19
#3.4 November EXTRA Page 18
Issue #3.3: July 2011:Page 17
Issue #3.2: March 2011: Page 16
Issue #3.1: February 2011: Page 15
Issue #2.1: Hogwarts Ghostly: Page 2
Issue #2.2: February 2010: Page 3
Issue #2.3: March 2010: Page 4
Issue #2.4: April 2010: Page 5
Issue #2.5: May 2010: Page 6 and Page 7
Issue #2.6: June 2010: Page 8
Issue #2.7: July 2010: Page 9
Issue #2.8: August 2010: Page 10
Issue #2.9: September 2010: Page 11
Issue #2.10: October 2010: Page 12
Issue #2.11: November 2010: Page 13
Issue #2.12: December 2010:Page 14

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:44 am
Issue Name:March 2011
Issue Number: 3.2
Editor: IceeWitch

Table of Contents:

Page 1: Table of Contents
Page 2: Birthdays
Page 3: Kitty's Korner
Page 4: March Madness
Page 5: History of St. Patrick's Day
Page 6: Recipes of Gold*
Page 7: Lucky Charms
Page 8: Just for Fun!
Page 9: Bitter or Sweet?
Page 10: Recipes of Gold (Part 2)
Page 11: Around Hogwarts
Page 12: Note from the Editor
Page 13: Current Staff  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:46 am

☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘☘

March Birthdays:
3 – Alutian
9 - Avatar34 (1990)
28 – techpriest35 (1989)
31 – Ms Flatsy Doll (1992)

If your birthday is in March but is not listed here, please post it in this thread. Make sure the guild knows of any name changes!
Also, don't forget to wish an ultra special person in this guild a happy birthday on March 9! wink

User Image

IceeWitch

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:47 am

Kitty's Korner!

Find yourself bored? Want to find something Harry Potter related that isn't this guild cry or the wonders of fanfiction? ninja
There is a now complete blog called Mark Reads Harry Potter. Mark knew almost nothing about the books when he started, so his reactions are nostalgic and amusing. Especially his predictions. wink He does swear a lot sad so if you dislike that this may not be the best read for you. Mark was reading the 7 books one chapter a day, so each post is covers one chapter and you can watch Mark get pulled increasingly into the world and characters. 4laugh The link will take you to Chapter One of Sorcerer's Stone, and I hope you enjoy it. 3nodding

The second recommendation for those with some free time on their hands is Wizard People, Dear Reader which, despite the title, is on Youtube. Basically, someone decided to narrate the first Harry Potter movie, with a great deal of renaming and alternate character interpretation. Did a I mention a lot is changed? ninja There is also swearing and some crude jokes in the videos, so again it isn't something everyone would enjoy like two certain musicals, but it is still enjoyable.

Animekitty47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:50 am

March Madness!

Now that Cupid is gone, and the Awards Season is nearly over.... what's the question on everyone's minds?!?!
WHAT THE HECK CAN I DO IN MARCH?
Well, as it turns out... there's LOTS to do! Whether you like sports (NCAA March Madness) or parties (St. Patricks Day) there's LOADS to do. Anyway, here are a few of the 'special' days and events this month.

☘ 8 International Women's Day
☘ 8 Mardi Gras(Fat Tuesday)
☘ 9 Ash Wednesday
☘ 13 Daylight Savings Begins at 2:00 a.m.
☘ 15 Ides of March
☘ 17 St. Patrick's Day
☘ 20 Spring (Vernal) Equinox
☘ 20 International Earth Day - also called Sun-Earth Day
☘ 25 Feast of the Annunciation

Still looking for something else? Well here's an entire list for March.

IceeWitch

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:55 am

History of St. Patrick's Day

What, exactly, is Saint Patrick's Day? It is a day where the Irish celebrate St. Patrick's feast day and anniversary of his death in the fifth century. The Irish have observed this day as a religious holiday for over a thousand years. On St. Patrick's Day, which falls during the Christian season of Lent, Irish families would traditionally attend church in the morning and celebrate in the afternoon. Lenten prohibitions against the consumption of meat were waived and people would dance, drink and feast—on the traditional meal of Irish bacon and cabbage.

The first St. Patrick's Day parade(a ceremonial procession including people marching) took place not in Ireland but in the United States. Irish soldiers serving in the English military marched through New York City on March 17, 1762. Along with their music, the parade helped the soldiers reconnect with their Irish roots, as well as fellow Irishmen serving in the English army.

Over the next 35 years, Irish patriotism among American immigrants flourished, prompting the rise of so-called "Irish Aid" societies like the Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick and the Hibernian Society. Each group would hold annual parades featuring bagpipes (which actually first became popular in the Scottish and British armies) and drums.

In 1848, several New York Irish Aid societies decided to unite their parades to form one New York City St. Patrick's Day Parade. The parade is the muggle world 's oldest civilian parade and the largest in the United States, with over 150,000 participants.

Today, St. Patrick's Day is celebrated by people of all backgrounds in the United States, Canada and Australia. Although North America is home to the largest productions, St. Patrick's Day has been celebrated in other locations far from Ireland, including Japan, Singapore and Russia.

Chuchube

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:57 am

Recipes of Gold

Disclaimer: None of the following recipes contain actual gold. That is probably a good thing because gold isn't exactly healthy.

Pot of Gold
Surprise everyone on March 17th with these wee emerald pots filled with sweet, edible gold.

Ingredients
3-ounce box of lemon-flavor gelatin
6 limes
Sugar
1 teaspoon of whipped cream

Instructions
Line an 8-inch square baking dish with plastic wrap, leaving several inches of overhang on each side (this will make removing the gelatin easier). Combine a 3-ounce box of lemon-flavor gelatin and 1 cup of boiling water in a medium bowl, stirring until the gelatin is dissolved. Stir in 1 cup of cold water, then pour the mixture into the baking dish. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and chill the gelatin for 4 hours or until firm, then slice the gelatin into 1/2-inch cubes.

Cut off the top quarter of each of 6 limes, then, without cutting into the fruit, slice a thin layer of peel from the bottom of each one to help them stand upright. With a small knife, cut around the inside of each lime's rind to loosen the pulp, then spoon it out to make a shell.

Place a pinch of sugar and 1 teaspoon of whipped cream in the bottom of each shell, then fill each lime pot with gelatin gold. Makes 6.

Chuchube

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:59 am

Lucky Charms

With all things green, the word luck comes to mind! In case you need a some extra luck this month, here are a few sources said to give GOOD LUCK. Grab them and use them for a bit of extra luck! Beware though, some of these items are a bit on the loony side (and scary: see tiger).

Ladybugs: When a ladybug lands on you it is said to be good luck. Catch one today, but don't kill it! That could be bad luck.
Rainbow: Rainbows are lucky because at the end of the rainbow is a pot of gold. A rainbow also has seven different colors
Tigers: Tigers are considered lucky in Chinese astrology. The tiger is also considered a protector against certain evils including theft and fire.
Rabbits Foot: Many rabbit feet are fitted to be carried on key chains for good luck and protection to the traveler.
Dream Catcher: Dream catchers are from Native American’s and are considered good fortune because they catch negative images from dreams and have been known to ward of bad dreams.
Horseshoe: Horseshoes are thought to bring good fortune when they are hung up on the wall of a home or above a doorway. Blacksmiths that made horseshoes were considered to be lucky.
Nautical star: The nautical star is a good luck symbol because it is seen as providing guidance for sailors.
Four Leaf Clover or Shamrock: St. Patrick’s Day has made the four leaf clover a popular symbol of luck. Four leaf clovers do exist; they are just not as common as the three leaf variety. So if you find one, it is said to be good luck!
Bamboo: Bamboo is considered good luck, specifically a certain type, named Lucky Bamboo.
Wishbone: A wishbone is a symbol of good luck and it is also a wish maker. When you find the wishbone, two people give the wishbone a tug and each of them make a wish. After the wishbone breaks, the person with the bigger piece will have their wish granted.
Falling Star: A falling star or a shooting star is lucky because it is rare to see one and you should make a wish after seeing one as it will be granted.
Lucky Penny: Many people bend over and pick up a penny lying on the ground if it is laying heads up, because it is considered good luck. Some people even keep the penny for good fortune.
Sharks Tooth: A sharks tooth is said to have protective and healing powers. They are also said to bring good luck. Many people wear them on necklaces or keep them somewhere in their house.

IceeWitch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Just for Fun

This section consists of a few jokes and cartoons. You might not like them if you're a leprechaun mrgreen
Disclaimer: Not meant to offend any one of Irish descent.

Cutting the Grass Source

Michael O'Leary was waiting at the bus stop with his friend, Paddy Maguire, when a lorry went by loaded up with rolls of turf.
O'Leary opined, 'I'm gonna do that when I win de lottery, Maguire.'
'What's that, Michael?' responds his mate.
'Send me lawn away to be cut,' concludes O'Leary.

O'Connor and the Fierce Dog Source

O'Connor was sitting in Ward's Irish bar, Piccadilly, London with a large Rottweiler at his feet.
'Does your dog bite?' asks Murphy.
'No,' replies O'Connor.
So Murphy pats the dog who almost rips his arm off completely.
'Hey!' screams Murphy, 'you said your dog didn't bite, O'Connor.'
'That's not my dog Murphy,' concludes O'Connor.

Look to the Moon Source
Paddy and Seamus were walking home from the pub. Paddy says to Seamus, 'What a beautiful night, look at the moon.'
Seamus stops and looks at Paddy, 'You are wrong, that's not the moon, that's the sun.' Both started arguing for a while when they come upon a real drunk walking in the other direction, so they stopped him.
'Sir, could you please help settle our argument?
Tell us what that thing is up in the sky that's shining. Is it the moon or the sun?' The drunk looked at the sky and then looked at them, and said,
'Sorry, I don't live around here.'

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

IceeWitch

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:01 pm

Bitter or Sweet
by IceeWitch

About two to three years ago, the Mods received feedback from a few members about the Hogwarts Monthly. At that point in time, the Hogwarts Monthly had been on an unofficial hiatus. However, it seemed the members really, really wanted to revive that old guild tradition. With the help of Junimaia, Lorrieta helped publish the Hogwarts Monthly for the first time in ages! However, the initial revival wasn't exactly successful because of the lack of help Lorrieta and others received.
As a result of the initial feedback and interest, I (IceeWitch) decided to revamp everything Hogwarts Monthly related. The results: a new and improved Hogwarts Monthly thread AND a completely redone Editor Office. I also helped create a new mule for the Hogwarts Monthly since the old mule essentially died when the Hogwarts Monthly founder (KTweirdchick) became inactive. Continued here because Gaia is now limiting posts' length.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:03 pm

Recipes of Gold

Disclaimer: None of the following recipes contain actual gold. That is probably a good thing because gold isn't exactly healthy.

Sweet Shamrocks
A wonderfully festive St. Patrick's day treat. But these delicious cookies can be eaten anytime of the year, not just St. Patty's day.

Editor's Note: For unknown reasons, Gaia would not let this recipe post (possibly because of its length). I tried posting it several different ways. So if you're interested in the recipe, here's a link with all the information.

Chuchube

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:05 pm

Around Hogwarts

Hey guys, there's a few things going on, and here's a quickie, quick rundown of it all!
Firstly, end of Winter Term is approaching, and although things have been running rather quietly lately, I'm sure we'll end Winter Term 2k11 the same way we started it with a BANG! The Mod Squad is taking suggestions!
Next, please remember to post often in our subforums to get to know your guild members! I know some of them quite well, and they're awesome! But don't just take my word for it, find out yourself!
Finally, as you may or may not know, this will be the last issue of the Hogwarts Monthly for a very long time. We've been asking an editor for the last couple of months, but we haven't had any luck yet. If you're interested, then please stop by the Editors Office OR PM IceeWitch.
Anyway that's it for Around Hogwarts, please be sure to check the Entrance Hall for any other guild updates!

IceeWitch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:06 pm

Bitter or Sweet
[Note from the Editor]

Continued from here because Gaia now limits post lengths.
I thought these updated changes were necessary to ensure the success of the Hogwarts Monthly..... and for a full year, the Hogwarts Monthly was a success! Thanks to the dedication and overall awesomeness of the previous contributors and the very wonderful Avatar34, Lyra Elizabeth, Iceewitch and Junimaia (who all stepped in as Editors from time to time), the Hogwarts Monthly had 14 issues in this revival. However, after Avatar34 retired (mostly due to frustrations from lack of help from other members), we were left with many questions about the Hogwarts Monthly's future.
I briefly answered these questions for two months.... I decided to step in as temporary editor. I had hoped someone else would volunteer for the job. No luck there. This leads me to one final question.
My question: will the Hogwarts Monthly, the original work of HPGoG members, have a bitter or sweet ending? While the answer to this question gets answered in the days, weeks, or months to come, I must admit the Hogwarts Monthly has reached another bittersweet bump in its history.

With that said, the Hogwarts Monthly is on an indefinite hiatus. Hope you enjoyed this issue!

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:09 pm

As of now there's going to be a complete OVERHAUL of the Hogwarts Monthly Staff. Stay tuned in the Entrance Hall for more details.

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces