Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Apiyo mentor- OPEN Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:31 am
Intro
Hello, you can just call me apiyo. I'm 21. My hobbies are drawing, sewing, knitting, playing my Nintendo DS, and reading.

On to relevant info, I draw mostly humans and objects. I've also gotten better at drawing landscapes recently. I have been drawing seriously since highschool. I'm a design major so I'm learning how to use Illustrator and Photoshop although I'm not an expert. I've taken beginner and intermediate drawing and am currently taking a life drawing class.

Info
- my DA: http://mangachan.deviantart.com/gallery/ and my gaia art shop linked to in my sig
- Timezone: Eastern Time
- I'm online: Every day or nearly everyday
- Things you feel you'd be best at teaching: Human anatomy, backgrounds, objects, light and shadow, composition, my best friend perspective, clothing/drapery, realistic rendering, fluid dynamic poses
-Things I may be able to help with: Color theory
- Things you feel you wouldn't teach well: Animals, machinery, drawing on computor programs
- Level of mentee you can take: Beginners to Intermediate
- How many mentees you can take: 2

Teaching technique
-I will give out an assignment based on what your weakness are.
-In the mean time you can submit things you want critiquing on. Please keep in mind my strong and weak areas. I may steer you into making hideous color combinations.
-I will tell you what's wrong and red line as necessary.
-No free butt pats. You have been warned.
-The ideal is to be active on a weekly basis. I'll give a 2 week period, since life happens and then I'll clear you from my mentee to give someone else a chance.

Mentees
-
-  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:48 pm
Hi there~
I'd like to be mentored by you. :3 How much time would you give for completing assignments? That's really my only worry right now.

I don't know what else you want, but here is my deviantart.
[xxx]

I'm not so active there anymore, but that's all I have that's on my computer right now. (except for a couple more recent sketches. If you want to see those, then I will certainly link you to them.) I'm also struggling to draw daily, too, so you can bet I'll be a little rusty.

If you want to know anything else, just ask, of course. :]  

bloodiest princess

Sexy Wife

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:44 am
I'd prefer a week's time. (I'll add that to the first post). If you can't get to a computer for a while then please say something so I don't think you've just given up. And I'd actually like to see your more recent sketches just to see were your improvements are.

Now on to business, your first assignment is to draw a person. This is just to see were you are now.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:08 am
Alrighty~ I'll definitely let you know if an assignment will come in late.

Here's the sketches.
[1]
[2]

So then that will be due next Tuesday, October 6th, yes?  

bloodiest princess

Sexy Wife

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:35 am
Hi! I'd like to be your mentee please. I would like help on most of the things you can teach and may be able to teach ^^

Here are some samples:
musiique.deviantart.com.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:16 pm
@set0free - yes the assignment is due next Tuesday.

@nightshade- Glad to help, welcome aboard. You have the same assignment to draw a person.  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:35 am
Okay , and thank you! ^^
Just one question , when you say you won't be able to teach drawing with computer programmes , does that mean you won't be able to teach coloring with computer programmes as well?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:40 am
I'm FAMILIAR with photoshop and illustrator. I don't know the programs all that well because I'm still learning so I don't think I'd be very good at teaching. I can with color choices and lighting, but the technical aspects, not so much.  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:43 am
Okay ^^ I'm sorry , I was getting a bit confused there sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:45 pm
Here you are! The first assignment.

[assignment #1]  

bloodiest princess

Sexy Wife

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:41 am
Here's my 1st assignment! By the way , I wasn't sure what style of art to draw the person in so I did it in a kind of manga style sweatdrop Sorry if I shouldn't have done that...

Assignment 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:14 pm
Thanks for your prompt entries students.

@ set0free: Your pose has nice fluidity, but the body doesn't read as solid and 3D. Alot of your problems are muscle and bone-structure related.

For instance in the face you have the "baseball diamond" head where the top is round and the bottom is a pointed wedge. Wth the head you have to stay attentive to bone structure and proportions. For the most part, peoples' faces have a standard set of proportions. The nose is in the middle of the face when the subject looks straight ahead and the mouth is relatively between the nose and mouth. Once you understand proportions, you can change them to create endless differences in character. http://www.anticz.com/heads.htm, here is an excelent tutorial for studying proportions, in addition to the drawing from life I'll be having you do.

As for bone structure, under the face is a skeleton obviously razz . The part circled in green is the brow region. The red is the cheek area. I circled it so you could see some of the logic of brows and what makes them look the way they do. Some people can have a prominent brow, seen moreso in older people and/or males. In addition, you should make an effort to vary the slope of the forehead nose bridge and sides of face, so it creates more difference of characters, even if you do draw stylized.

User Image

The other glaring problem is your suggestion of musculature, or lack of it. When you draw limbs you should keep in mind that all people are atleast alittle muscular. So basically limbs should be drawn as super duper toned down body builders, so the shape of the limbs shows muscular detail. Also, men's torso's are proportionately bigger than womens' even if they are skinny. As it stands, your character's torso is too small and also lacks suggestion of muscles. To accommodate a proper male torso, you have to start off with a wide-enough neck.

In closing of my wall-o-text, here is some advice. You seem to be drawing based off anime. You should get a good grasp of real people first, not abstract an already abstract human form. Take a look at the movie The Incredibles. The characters are all highly stylized but still have believable human shape.

Pictures will be coming in the morning, to further explain some things. Also here is a neat muscle guide: http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?p=56982&

Your assignment (due next tuesday) will be to draw two pictures. The first, go on posemaniacs.com and draw a pose. It can be anyone you want. The second picture should be of a person's head and face, down to the neck. It can be of yourself, a family member, a random person, or a photo. As long as it's a real person.  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:30 pm
@ nightshade: I'll start with anatomy and just mention that you learn what humans' muscles look like. http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?p=56982& - super awsome muscle guide again. An easy way to approach this is to draw every one as extremely skinny body builders. Meaning we all have those same muscles, just not as big. Right now, your subject's body looks like a series of lumps.

Your assignment is to just go on posemaniacs.com and draw a pose (pick a simple one please, some of them can get crazy 0_o ). It's due next Tuesday.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:25 pm
Wow! That's a lot of awesome information to absorb. Thank-you so much~ I'll go start those two assignments now. :]  

bloodiest princess

Sexy Wife

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:42 am
Okay , I'll get started on my 2nd assignments right away ^^  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]