Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Judge his singing???

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Could he make it???
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:40 am

Alright, my boyfriend is planning on becoming a singer (it's a type of art o3o) and he doesn't think that he can make it. People keep looking down upon him. So he recorded a sample of his singing not that long ago. I told him that he sounds great, but needs to work on controlling the tone of his voice 'n such. It's his dream to become a rock singer :3, and I don't want his dreams to be crushed. So what do you guys think??? Do you think he could make it if he practiced hard enough???

Warning to those of you that are about to click the link above. If you aren't a huge fan of rock or music in general, then please don't click the link. He has a high toned voice, and I only want fans of rock and music to listen to it. It's also hard to hear what it is that he is singing to (I'll have him record some more). But you can clearly hear his voice in the video.

I would of posted this outside of the guild, but you guys are MUCH better at critique than some other people out there.

So please, comments, suggestions for him??? :3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:17 pm

Ummm... it's hard to say this, but it doesn't sound good. At all.

He's forcing his voice without having a knowledge of the notes he's singing first, and it comes out sounding like a teenage boy with a knife through his balls. How old is he? He sounds like his voice is breaking as he sings, and teenaged boys should not be forcing their chords like that.

Most rock bands will compose an acoustic version of a song first, just to get the notes straight, before they start screaming. Get him to try to sing those same songs without screaming a few times, and then try with the screaming. It should sound much better.

But, yeah, singing lessons will probably help. That or just practicing. And make sure he doesn't just practice metal, because that is a really bad place to start. It's the singing equivalent of starting with anime, we all do it because it's attractive and cool, but you need to learn the basics before you warp them.

The Titanium Spork

Tiara_Estella

Shirtless Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Okay. I agree with the previous poster, its actually pretty @_@

I did notice that he has the voice for singing.
Its just that he needs a better choice in songs and needs singing lessons (mostly on identifying notes and tones).

He chose a song that requires the singer to have a loud overwhelming voice, meaning he had to force his voice to reach that level. (You can hurt your vocal chords like that sad )
Also, he has to remember that recorded songs are edited, the singer usually doesn't force their voice like that. They sing it normally (in a way they can be loud without ruining their voice), then the voice is edited to sound louder.

If he wants to practice on his own, then get a song editing program and slow down the songs so he can hear the different notes/tones in the song.
Have him practice it like that over and over and later try it at normal speed remembering what he practiced.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:11 am

You are allowed one thread in this forum. This thread is being locked.

Hm... I would say that maybe you should post this kind of thing to the chat thread because it's not you. However, don't worry about it in this case. Please repost to your mentee thread.

Thank you.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas