Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Critique on my candles???

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:21 pm

I finished a drawing of some candles that are in my house. It's my first time drawing a still life drawing on the computer, and I'm wondering how I did ^-^, and comments would be loved :3

I can already point out some things that I need to improve on. But I would like to hear what I can do to improve in the future.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:14 pm

The light sources are messed up; in some places it looks like the light is from the front, and in others it looks like it's coming solely from the flames. Choose one and stick with it.

Also, observe the shapes and colors of flame more closely, it's not quite like that.

The Titanium Spork

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Yeah, I noticed that I messed up the light source a lot. I still need to work on that for all of my drawings.

Thanks, though it was my first time drawing a flame '^-^, so I had a feeling it would look really awkward.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:47 pm

Hello,

Hmm, Light source....You haven't used any. What you have done is created an omni present light, this won't give you any direction as to how a 2d image would look 3d. Also red is one of the hardest colours to shade.

Choose a direction for the light to com from, like from the top left or top right, this will make some definite shadows and thus easier to add interest to the form.

Also for the candle holder, silver has a lot of light in it, so if you can try and draw where the light falls this will stop the metal from looking like just a grey line.

You might find it easier to concentrate on light rather than shadows. Cos, when you paint in the light you will find the right place for the shadows to be.

Hope this has helped you.

MissPartyPants

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:16 pm

MissPartyPants
Hello,

Hmm, Light source....You haven't used any. What you have done is created an omni present light, this won't give you any direction as to how a 2d image would look 3d. Also red is one of the hardest colours to shade.

Choose a direction for the light to com from, like from the top left or top right, this will make some definite shadows and thus easier to add interest to the form.

Also for the candle holder, silver has a lot of light in it, so if you can try and draw where the light falls this will stop the metal from looking like just a grey line.

You might find it easier to concentrate on light rather than shadows. Cos, when you paint in the light you will find the right place for the shadows to be.

Hope this has helped you.

Thanks for the advice 3nodding
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces