Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Coffee Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

River_Moonwolf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:54 pm
Ok, thought I'd start this as something of a companion to the tea thread. Since it has been firmly established that I know nothing of tea, I thought it would be interesting to get one started about coffee. Yes, might be a bad idea, but there are far too many of us addicts to not do this. Personally, I only use can stuff (Folger's, Maxwell House, etc.) if there's nothing else and the only way to get me to drink Starbuck's involves putting a gun to my head. I currently drink either Ethiopian Harrar or Organic Peruvian.

Anyone else?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:50 am
*luffs her French press* eek

I don't like Starbucks, I prefer Peet's Coffee. It's stronger and I think the flavors are more complex than what I've tried from Starbucks. Boyfriend and I typically buy about half a pound, ground for FP, of whatever sounds good at the time, but we tend to get stuff from Costa Rica a lot. There's one coffee brand that I encountered in Napa that was far superior to even Peet's, but the name escapes me right now. I think they have a website, so I'll post it here when I find out.

I learned recently that French Roast can come from Colombia, and was even voted as the best by French people. Hmm. Also, Colombian coffee is mostly (if not all) organic. I think I might try their French roast next. One of my professors is Colombian (where I learned all this from) so I'll ask him what brand he prefers.

wikipedia
Coffee consumption has been shown to have minimal or no impact, positive or negative, on cancer development;[72] however, researchers involved in an ongoing 22-year study by the Harvard School of Public Health state that "the overall balance of risks and benefits [of coffee consumption] are on the side of benefits."[72] Various other studies have shown apparent reductions in the risks of Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, heart disease, diabetes mellitus type 2, cirrhosis of the liver,[73] and gout. A longitudinal study in 2009 showed that moderate drinkers of coffee (3-5 cups per day) had lower chances of developing dementia, in addition to Alzheimer's disease [74]. It increases the risk of acid reflux and associated diseases.[75] Some health effects of coffee are due to its caffeine content, as the benefits are only observed in those who drink caffeinated coffee while others appear to be due to other components.[76] For example, the antioxidants in coffee prevent free radicals from causing cell damage.[77]

It's good for ya! heart  

Bastemhet

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:53 pm
Community Coffee, Dark Roast. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:26 pm
As fond as I am of Kahlua and frozen mochas, I've never been a coffee drinker. The one or two times I've tried it's been more of... "would you like a bit of coffee with your cream and sugar?" so I figure there is no real point to me drinking it. I do love the smell of coffee though, just drinking it never lives up to the wonderful aroma. gonk  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:03 pm
Starbucks' regular coffee is horrible. Too burnt and watered down.

McDonald's more often is too sweet and too watery. Depending on the server though, you might get a very good cup.

Personally, I hate the canned stuff. I don't feel too comfortable not being able to definitively say that only ground coffee beans are in there. I prefer not only getting the beans, but taking them home whole and grinding them with my little coffee grinder. I feel the flavor comes out stronger and more aromatic.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:13 pm
saint dreya
Starbucks' regular coffee is horrible. Too burnt and watered down.

McDonald's more often is too sweet and too watery. Depending on the server though, you might get a very good cup.

Personally, I hate the canned stuff. I don't feel too comfortable not being able to definitively say that only ground coffee beans are in there. I prefer not only getting the beans, but taking them home whole and grinding them with my little coffee grinder. I feel the flavor comes out stronger and more aromatic.
People drink Starbucks coffee for the coffee? eek

I only ever drink it with flavouring, in which coffee quality is less important (but not entirely unimportant either)  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Nines19

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:45 pm
People like to make fun of me because I won't drink coffee black, I always use cream(er).

I love it, though. I drink it almost every day. My parents buy the beans and grind them every morning, so I guess that's better coffee than out of the can. (I can't really tell the difference. Might be the cream.)

If I have it from a fast-food place, I usually order it with a soda and alternate sips. Hot and bitter then cold and sweet feels good on my tongue.

...now I want coffee... heh.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:15 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
People drink Starbucks coffee for the coffee? :shock

I have a friend who swears by it. I haven't the heart to tell her that the caffeine she says she can't operate without is no longer the thing that stimulates her; she drinks at least a cup every morning. Then I confuse her when we go together and I get the hot chocolate, xp  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Collowrath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:41 pm
Starbucks coffee is only good if it has s**t in it. If it doesn't, to me it tastes like any other American coffee - might as well be bitter, weak tea.

That said, I like very dark European roasts and very finely ground Balkan/Turkish style preparations.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:47 pm
Collowrath
Starbucks coffee is only good if it has s**t in it. If it doesn't, to me it tastes like any other American coffee - might as well be bitter, weak tea.

That said, I like very dark European roasts and very finely ground Balkan/Turkish style preparations.
The only Turkish I've had tasted like mud, but the quality was dubious. I'm sure I could find some I like, especially since I brew coffee at about three times the strength, the darker the roast the better.

But yeah, Starbucks generally means it's coming with cream and flavours.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Collowrath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:00 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Collowrath

The only Turkish I've had tasted like mud, but the quality was dubious. I'm sure I could find some I like, especially since I brew coffee at about three times the strength, the darker the roast the better.

But yeah, Starbucks generally means it's coming with cream and flavours.

Turkish coffee is best if you brew it with some sugar. It should be thick, there should be dust at the bottom. The consistency should be more like hot chocolate than mud though.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:06 pm
I've despised all the coffee I have gotten from fast food (or fast service - like Wafflehouse) places. It is, 9/10 times, burnt or watery.

As for Starbucks, I don't think I've ever gotten a cup of coffee from them. I've had espresso shots, hot chocolate, and a few fraps, but never a cup of black coffee.

Joe Mugs, the coffee shop in Barns n Nobles, has rather good coffee.  

Aino Ailill

Collowrath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:08 pm
Aino Ailill

The Barnes and Noble stores here have ******** in them.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:10 pm
Collowrath
Aino Ailill

Ah, I had it mixed up. It's Books-a-Million.  

Aino Ailill

Collowrath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:13 pm
Aino Ailill
Collowrath
Aino Ailill

Ah, I had it mixed up. It's Books-a-Million.

stressed

The Starbucks stores in Barnes & Noble charge 30 cents more for a cup that is much smaller. sad  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff