Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Err, Information Recommendations? ^^;; Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

O hai there! :3
  HI!! 8D
  Err... hi. n_n
View Results

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:04 pm
NOTE ;; I have already seen the recommended reading list, but most of it covers Wicca. Any books on other pagan religions and lesser known religions? n_n

I may also need a book that talks about the controversy between science and religion. :3

Hai there! Glad you "stumbled" onto my little thread. (:

So, before I get to the point, I should do a little intro. I'm thirteen, however a little fight in the LD yesterday caused me to be a little more open minded about religions and the controversies behind each and every one of them. ^^

It made me realize that learning about all kinds of religions [both pagan and not] is something I may want to do when I get to college, but I'm very eager to learn about Pagan religions, and would like to know about any books and pieces of information you find valuable and would recommend to me.

I prefer published books, because those are read by the public, and usually any book that contains massive amounts of wrong information wouldn't, first of all, be published by a publisher -- as well as the public becoming outraged and arguing for the book to be taken out of libraries and off the market. ^^

So far Violet Song jat Shariff recommended a few books to me, and here they are:

Witchcraft Today -- Gerald Gardner
The Meaning of Witchcraft -- Gerald Gardner
Triumph of the Moon -- Ronald Hutton

I know, I know, I may sound like a Wiccan Wannabe, however it's just that that captivated my interest, although I AM interested in other books about other religions. ^^

Religions I take interest in are --
Buddhism
Hinduism
Catholicism [I don't expect any information from you guys about Catholicism, but I do intend to cover ALL religions. Whether Pagan or not!]
Christianity [Again, same as above. n_n]

All right, so I don't exactly plan to learn about Pagan religions only, but I want to learn about all religions. I'll do that step by step though, mind you. ^^ I would like to include Catholicism and Christianity, because I got a revelation Pagan religions contributed to Catholicism and Christianity. :]] Think about it! ^^ I know I kind of ripped this off of Angels and Demons [although I want to make it clear to you;; I DON'T take the book so seriously as to think that all of it is non fiction. It's fiction, I'm smart enough to understand that it's just a cleverly woven tale that has roots in religion. ^^], I think some parts of it do have some truth. A realistic fiction story can't be good fiction unless it bases some parts of it in reality.

I also have a question -- just what is the difference between Islam and Judaism? And what's this thing about an Allah? Is it just another name for God? Or is it a completely different God? I'm also interested in other Pagan religions that are lesser known to the public.

lol, Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons intrigued me. Not that they're related to Paganism, but it's just that the whole 'against Christianity and God' thing made me feel that Paganism is very complex and much of it is a mystery -- my kind of thing. n_n

So this is my question, or... err, rather several, in fact. xD

1] Do you have any books on Pagan/non Pagan religions that you would highly recommend? n_n
2] Do you know any lesser known religions [whether Pagan or not?]?
3] Uhmm... hi? XD

I think I'm going to get people confused all over again.

Read it slowly, bit by bit, and you can even quote and look back to it every so often while responding. ^^ That's what I would do. XD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:36 pm
-munch munch-

Has anybody seen Watchmen?

-bored-

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:38 pm
City Dreamer

I prefer published books, because those are read by the public, and usually any book that contains massive amounts of wrong information wouldn't, first of all, be published by a publisher -- as well as the public becoming outraged and arguing for the book to be taken out of libraries and off the market. ^^

See, this isn't always the case though. Case in point: Silver Ravenwolf. She lies and gives false information quite a bit in her books and people still read her books and still follow whatever she says. A good bit of her readers become outraged when anyone questions them or tries to correct them.

Quote:
I also have a question -- just what is the difference between Islam and Judaism?

Well they are both Abrahamic faiths...do you mean what is the difference in what they believe? Or how they practice?
Quote:
And what's this thing about an Allah? Is it just another name for God? Or is it a completely different God?

AFAIK, Allah is Arabic for "God."

Quote:
1| Do you have any books on Pagan/non Pagan religions that you would highly recommend? n_n

I think it might be a good idea to narrow down a bit more what you want to start learning about...or you're going to have an information overload.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:05 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
City Dreamer

See, this isn't always the case though. Case in point: Silver Ravenwolf. She lies and gives false information quite a bit in her books and people still read her books and still follow whatever she says. A good bit of her readers become outraged when anyone questions them or tries to correct them.

Quote:
I also have a question -- just what is the difference between Islam and Judaism?

Well they are both Abrahamic faiths...do you mean what is the difference in what they believe? Or how they practice?
Quote:
And what's this thing about an Allah? Is it just another name for God? Or is it a completely different God?

AFAIK, Allah is Arabic for "God."

Quote:
1| Do you have any books on Pagan/non Pagan religions that you would highly recommend? n_n

I think it might be a good idea to narrow down a bit more what you want to start learning about...or you're going to have an information overload.

Silver Ravenwolf... I see. Reminds me of that stupid guy from Harry Potter. And reminds me of JK Rowling. XD

And well... the difference in what Judaism believes, most likely, but also what they practice. Just point out the major differences. ^^

I see. I guess I'll start with Wicca and Christianity. I'll take Buddhism and Hinduism on some other time. x33

O, lol... Allah, name for God... haha I felt stupid at that. XD

Thank God I joined this guild. [LOL IRONY... rofl ]

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:42 pm
City Dreamer

And well... the difference in what Judaism believes, most likely, but also what they practice. Just point out the major differences. ^^

I can't help too much with the Judaism part since I've only been poking around it, but AFAIK and can understand of Islam, Muslims believe that Allah is the only god worthy of worship and Muhammad is his prophet. They don't believe that Jesus is the son of God (Allah).
To cover the things that I didn't (or can't), there is a Islam FAQ in the M&R that should help 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:15 pm
City Dreamer

1] Do you have any books on Pagan/non Pagan religions that you would highly recommend? n_n
3] Uhmm... hi? XD

Read it slowly, bit by bit, and you can even quote and look back to it every so often while responding. ^^ That's what I would do. XD

1) This is much repeating what Vio said, but that's a really really broad question. That's a bit like asking "What's your favorite molecule of air?"
There are so many different religions, of all sorts, that even categorizing them is a bit complex. Try and be more specific if you can. If you want to learn more about ALL religions, you may try your local library, start in the religion section and just start reading! biggrin
One word of suggestion: Don't believe everything you read.

2) Lesser known religions? Well that's another hard one to answer. It's easier to say that all religions, known or not well-known, have their own sects, each of varied notarity.

I'm not trying to be obtuse; you're asking very vauge questions in a subject matter where even the most minute details can cause people to splinter off into different factions. Just look at Christanity and the number of sects that this religion has. Now recognize many other religions have done the same thing, and continue to do the same thing to this very day.

It's complicated stuff. sweatdrop

3) Hi!  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Calixti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:35 pm
I don't have any book references that probably haven't already been given, but I can give some research advice.

Look for primary sources. And historical ones. Primary sources would be sources actually written around the time period, like the Eddas and Sagas for Norse Paganism, or the Homeric Hymns for Hellenic, or like the Bible for Christianity. Historical sources are good for reconstructionist paths--again, Norse Paganism (Asatru, I think it's called?), Hellenic Paganism (Greek) or Egyptian Paganism (Kemetism). Books written by authorities of the religion can also be good sources, like Gardner for Wicca, since he founded it.

If you're using secondary sources and history books, check their references and be prepared to cross-reference. Non-academic history books, I've found, tend to fall prey to romanticisation of the past, and even academic ones tend to be very ethnocentric.

Take a lot of notes, be sure to mark what book, chapter, page you got unusual bits of information from, and make use of the inter-library loan system.

And for a request, could you please leave your text to the standard left-alignment? The way it's oriented now is a bit difficult to follow, especially combined with the small size.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:04 pm
Kuroiban
City Dreamer

3] Uhmm... hi? XD

1) This is much repeating what Vio said, but that's a really really broad question. That's a bit like asking "What's your favorite molecule of air?"
There are so many different religions, of all sorts, that even categorizing them is a bit complex. Try and be more specific if you can. If you want to learn more about ALL religions, you may try your local library, start in the religion section and just start reading! biggrin
One word of suggestion: Don't believe everything you read.

2) Lesser known religions? Well that's another hard one to answer. It's easier to say that all religions, known or not well-known, have their own sects, each of varied notarity.

I'm not trying to be obtuse; you're asking very vauge questions in a subject matter where even the most minute details can cause people to splinter off into different factions. Just look at Christanity and the number of sects that this religion has. Now recognize many other religions have done the same thing, and continue to do the same thing to this very day.

It's complicated stuff. sweatdrop

3) Hi!

Seems like I really do need rehab. XD So glad Violet let me join the guild. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. I'd die if I post in the Gaia forums. ._.

And no! You don't seem to be obtuse... heck, I have no idea what that really means... sweatdrop I'm thinking I'll just focus on choosing to study one religion and then focusing on learning the sects. Would that be a good idea? ^^ I'll have it easier on Christianity, and start learning about my own religion. I'm Seventh Day Adventist, although... ._. I don't act like one. XD I eat shrimp, lobster, and a bunch of other 'unclean' things -- I just don't get why God would ban those things if he created them. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And hmm... yes, it does sound complicated. XD

And hiya back, how are you? :3

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:08 pm
Calixti
I don't have any book references that probably haven't already been given, but I can give some research advice.

Look for primary sources. And historical ones. Primary sources would be sources actually written around the time period, like the Eddas and Sagas for Norse Paganism, or the Homeric Hymns for Hellenic, or like the Bible for Christianity. Historical sources are good for reconstructionist paths--again, Norse Paganism (Asatru, I think it's called?), Hellenic Paganism (Greek) or Egyptian Paganism (Kemetism). Books written by authorities of the religion can also be good sources, like Gardner for Wicca, since he founded it.

If you're using secondary sources and history books, check their references and be prepared to cross-reference. Non-academic history books, I've found, tend to fall prey to romanticisation of the past, and even academic ones tend to be very ethnocentric.

Take a lot of notes, be sure to mark what book, chapter, page you got unusual bits of information from, and make use of the inter-library loan system.

And for a request, could you please leave your text to the standard left-alignment? The way it's oriented now is a bit difficult to follow, especially combined with the small size.

I fixed it. ^^; Sorry! =o

And hm... I'll be sure to cross reference. It's kinda the same way when it comes to comparing makeup, but a lot tougher, I'm sure. XD [-is a magazine editor-]

Ahh, I'll be sure to do that! n_n lol... one question, what do I tell my parents when I'm studying this? XD Damn, they're devouts, sadly. u_u

Alright, I shall. n_n I'll be on the lookout for Gardner's books and for bits and pieces of mythology, as well as arming myself with a dictionary... XDD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:22 pm
City Dreamer
Calixti

I fixed it. ^^; Sorry! =o

And hm... I'll be sure to cross reference. It's kinda the same way when it comes to comparing makeup, but a lot tougher, I'm sure. XD [-is a magazine editor-]

Ahh, I'll be sure to do that! n_n lol... one question, what do I tell my parents when I'm studying this? XD Damn, they're devouts, sadly. u_u

Alright, I shall. n_n I'll be on the lookout for Gardner's books and for bits and pieces of mythology, as well as arming myself with a dictionary... XDD

Devouts to the point where Harry Potter is seen as the work of the devil? If so, I wouldn't confront them with your desire to learn.

If there is a chance they will listen, I'd sit them down and discuss your interest. Your interest seems purely academic. If this is the case, then you should try and convey this to them. Understanding religion is helpful in understanding cultures of the world and some of the motivation behind historical events.  

Aino Ailill

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:30 pm
Err, no... in fact, I'm a Harry Potter fan.

Well, not huge, but still liking it. n_n' I think it could be better. But that's off the point. XD

Since my dad was a Catholic priest in the past [he took college courses for it. xP Which is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Should you be an apprentice of someone in the field instead? User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.], I'm thinking he'd understand. After all, he took classes learning Pagan religions, since it was necessary for his field. confused

I think I'm going to tell them when I get a bit older, so they know I'm mature enough to 'handle this kind of stuff'.

=_= It's what they think, lol.

And yes, my interest is only academic. 4laugh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:38 pm
City Dreamer

Since my dad was a Catholic priest in the past [he took college courses for it. xP Which is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Should you be an apprentice of someone in the field instead?

Why would college classes be ridiculous? My brother is pretty much ending up with a MA in Theology once he is done with Seminary (June!), and had to get a second bachelors before he could start that.  

maenad nuri
Captain

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:11 pm
Hmm... I just always lived under the thought that learning religion should be somewhere away from school, so as not to start arguments.

I should have a more open mind. n_n' I apologize. xP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:17 pm
City Dreamer
Hmm... I just always lived under the thought that learning religion should be somewhere away from school, so as not to start arguments.

I should have a more open mind. n_n' I apologize. xP

As I am constantly reminded lately, college is loads different from high school. 3nodding  

Nines19

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:19 pm
City Dreamer
I'm very eager to learn about Pagan religions, and would like to know about any books and pieces of information you find valuable and would recommend to me.
Start with source texts.
Quote:

This has already been addressed, but perhaps it would be good to examine the reason this isn't a logical conclusion.

First of all, it relies on an appeal to popularity. Just because something is popular, that doesn't make it right.
Second, it relies on an appeal to authority. Just because a company publishes it, that doesn't make it right.
Third, it relies on an argument from silence. The assumption being if there isn't a loud outcry about how bad it is, the actual authorities must be in agreement.
Fourth, it relies on argument from ignorance. The idea that a lack of familiarity with the reasons a published book may be a bad source does not suggest that it is a good source.

Quote:
Buddhism
What form(s) of Buddhism?
My typical kneejerk recommendations are the Saddharma-Pundarîka and the She-rab Dong-bu, but then, our resident Buddhist may have other recommendations.

Quote:
Hinduism
My usual first recommendation for Hinduism is the Bhagavad Gita. I like it because it is useful in setting Westerners straight on the actual meaning of the concepts they are already familiar with. That, and I have a shameless fangirl crush on Krishna.

Quote:
Catholicism [I don't expect any information from you guys about Catholicism, but I do intend to cover ALL religions. Whether Pagan or not!]
Why not? Hell, a ton of folks here were raised Catholic.

That said, start with a copy of The New Jerusalem Bible, as it is one of the more commonly used translations of the Bible within Catholicism and it contains the deuterocanonical books that the Catholic Church uses. Next, pick up a copy of the Catechism.
Quote:

Christianity [Again, same as above. n_n]

Two questions:
First, why are you separating Catholicism and Christianity? Catholics are Christians. Second, which sect of Christendom are you looking to research? Gnostics, LDS, JW's, Baptists, Charismatics... something else?

Quote:
All right, so I don't exactly plan to learn about Pagan religions only, but I want to learn about all religions.
Good luck with that. Many religions themselves take a lifetime to understand as is. And that's before you start diving into their forms of mysticism.
Quote:

I'll do that step by step though, mind you. ^^ I would like to include Catholicism and Christianity, because I got a revelation Pagan religions contributed to Catholicism and Christianity. :]]
Catholicism is a form of Christianity. Second, what revelation is this?

Quote:
Judaism is the initial Abrahamic faith. The number of differences are great, but not as many as say between Christendom and Judaism or Islam. Basically, the idea within Islam is that the other Faiths of Abraham (Christendom and Judaism) had good intentions, but people messed it up, and so Muhammad was issued revelation in order to correct the errors.

Quote:
And what's this thing about an Allah? Is it just another name for God?
Title actually. Just like God isn't a name. Allah is a contraction, al, meaning The, and ʼilāh, translating as deity.

Quote:
I'm also interested in other Pagan religions that are lesser known to the public.
Such as?

Quote:
Too many to list. Which is why I would want you to narrow the field for me.

Quote:
Yes. And some that are in between.

Violet Song jat Shariff

I can't help too much with the Judaism part since I've only been poking around it, but AFAIK and can understand of Islam, Muslims believe that Allah is the only god worthy of worship and Muhammad is his prophet.
Allah is the only god period. There is no room within their scriptures to argue for monolateralism.

City Dreamer
I'm Seventh Day Adventist, although... ._. I don't act like one. XD I eat shrimp, lobster, and a bunch of other 'unclean' things -- I just don't get why God would ban those things if he created them.
Because an all-knowing, all-powerful deity can do what he pleases without it needing to make sense to man.

Basically, the Faithful justification is "There doesn't have to be a justification, it's YHVH's will."

The apologetic justification I have heard from some Christians is that eating certain foods in a desert will make you sick. Since YHVH's chosen people lived in deserts, he tended to issue prohibitions for health reasons. That said... the important part of this from a theological stance is that "Who cares? YHVH said No."

City Dreamer
Which is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Should you be an apprentice of someone in the field instead?
What makes you think they are mutually exclusive?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff