Reply Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People
HELP! Anyone play the guitar?! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ll Domo_Sensei ll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:31 pm
Like what the topic says, does anyone play the guitar? I have one but I don't know how to play and I can't find anyone who lives near me that can teach me crying I really really want to learn how to play it...

I just need to know some terminology and stuff like that. Oh and don't put any links to sites because I kind of want to turn this into a discussion o_o  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:31 pm
I kinda play the guitar, but I'm self taught so I don't really know all the fundamentals.  

Screamin Loveless92

MAGNUM777

Shameless Citizen

7,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:47 am
Self taught here too

just look online

oh, and tune it to EADGBE

can you play any other instruments? Read music? Read tabs?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:10 pm
MAGNUM777
Self taught here too

just look online

oh, and tune it to EADGBE

can you play any other instruments? Read music? Read tabs?

I used to play the piano but that was awhile ago. I kind of losing my ability to read music. I have to learn that again... sad

SO how is being-self taught working out for you guys?  

ll Domo_Sensei ll

MAGNUM777

Shameless Citizen

7,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:35 pm
Well, seeing as how I've been too lazy to practice cords, I'm not very fast at playing them. It takes some time to find the cord, cuz I suck. I can play pieces that don't involve cords alright though. I still play piano, it's easier to find cords. 10 years of Certificate of Merit and Classical music which will burn in my bonfire of hate XD. I can play most percussion instruments though.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:35 pm
Guitar is a pretty vast topic. At least give some questions you have. o_O Saying something like you want to learn some terminology can cover anything from guitar equipment to music theory.  

Azn Fcuk

MAGNUM777

Shameless Citizen

7,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:10 pm
God, I hate music theory, why do I care what period Kabovsky or whatever almost entirely unknown German composer was from?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:16 pm
i play, not really self taught though, i got a guitar teacher.

do you have a tunner ?
you should make sure it's tunned up first, EADGBE <-- standered
there are different types of tunning too, but you shouldnt really worry about that yet.

learn how to read tabs and chords, those are important.
btww, your fingers get calluses when playing, they're painful at first but you'll get use to them after a few months.

Sesshomaruka

ll Domo_Sensei ll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:10 am
Azn Fcuk
Guitar is a pretty vast topic. At least give some questions you have. o_O Saying something like you want to learn some terminology can cover anything from guitar equipment to music theory.

I guess you're right. I just need help with the names of different parts of the guitar ._.

Sesshomaruka
i play, not really self taught though, i got a guitar teacher.

do you have a tunner ?
you should make sure it's tunned up first, EADGBE <-- standered
there are different types of tunning too, but you shouldnt really worry about that yet.

learn how to read tabs and chords, those are important.
btww, your fingers get calluses when playing, they're painful at first but you'll get use to them after a few months.

Cool ^^
I got a tuner. I tune it yesterday. I need to learn how read tabs and chords... And I agree with the finger thing, it feels sort of awkward o_o  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:00 am
first rule i learned is to not read tabs. use sheet music.
second is if you're using an acoustic, learn to play with the pain if ur just starting; the strings will hurt
and since you've played piano, i'm sure you know how to match each fret with which note easily.
that's basically it.  

Bmwanz

Azn Fcuk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:58 pm
ll Domo_Sensei ll
Azn Fcuk

I guess you're right. I just need help with the names of different parts of the guitar ._.

User Image
Most of these should be pretty self explanatory, just names for the bits and pieces that make up the guitar.
The only thing that looks confusing might be the nut, which is just the piece of plastic that holds the strings in place at the neck. Position markers are there for your learning benefits, it helps you identify fret number easier. Pick ups on an electric are just magnets that can sense the vibration the strings make, sends electric signal through the output jack, into amp, blah blah blah, basically analagous to the soundhole of an acoustic.

Other then that, the chart already tells you everything else. Google helps too. xP  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:02 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
a little diagram;
hope it makes sense.

Sesshomaruka

f o b b y - a s i a n

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:27 am
Screamin Loveless92
I kinda play the guitar, but I'm self taught so I don't really know all the fundamentals.

I'm A self taught too. I play the acoustic and electric guitar. smile Hurts my fingers Plus my fingers are to short D:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:35 am
@Azn Fcuk: Thanks for the chart ^-^ Before that, I probably could only name the fret and tuners sweatdrop I also had no clue that those circle things were position markers o_O

@Sesshomaruka: Awesome diagram : D! Thanks!

@Musiic-Love: I played some yesterday and I could still feel the strings on my finger tips >< I love it though. I hope to develop "guitar" fingers soon (:

Do you guys use picks or strum it with you just your fingers?

ll Domo_Sensei ll

Sesshomaruka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:33 am
i use picks most of the time, but there are some songs where you only need to use your fingers.  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff