Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Where on earth are you from? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:23 pm
It wasn't until recently that I actually considered how Scottish I am, I don't have a strong accent and since alot of my friends are English or from English background I always thought of myself as not really a stereotypical Scot.
I was posting away on QI, talking about guising and other odd words my parents use when I started to find links about Scots as an actual different language. Apparently there is a general opinion that if Scotland had become independant from England, we would have two different languages much like Portugal and Spain. This is why;

I would be instructed to "Dicht your auxters." and was sung songs about corbies and cuddies. We use "slange" as a toast, we are forever bairns and quines to our grandparents, who would always give us a bosey. We learned Ceileid dancing at school, ate buttries, softies, white pudding, would give our rooms a redup and go out on the randan.

I guess I am more Scottish than I thought.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:51 pm
I miss buttries so much. You just can't get them in Fife. I think Ive had one since I moved here and it wasn't even made from butter. I mean, come on thats just missing the whole point.

My school doesn't do Ceileid dancing, it calls it social dancing but we do a mix of dances so it's not all Scottish anyway. There is a Ceilidh on Monday but I'm not going since I don't have any formal wear. XP  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:06 pm
We used to call it social dancing too...actually I think we used to call it "anti-social prancing" in our first year or so (dancing with boys?? euch!)

I don't actually eat buttries anymore, I never buy them for myself. I only have one if I am at my mum's or grannie's house and they have for me to swipe.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:14 pm
Quote:
I would be instructed to "Dicht your auxters." and was sung songs about corbies and cuddies. We use "slange" as a toast, we are forever bairns and quines to our grandparents, who would always give us a bosey. We learned Ceileid dancing at school, ate buttries, softies, white pudding, would give our rooms a redup and go out on the randan.

We have Ceilidhs quite often in Northumberland (then again, it is "England's Border County"). They're so much fun wink

However, I admit that I didn't understand a word of the rest of that.  

Jaega

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:56 pm
Has to be said, the form of Gaelic used in Scotland is JUST different enough from the Irish form to make things interesting...then again, Breton and Cornish are pretty similar too - no surprise there, all of them being Celts smile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:27 pm
Hmm, I just realised about half those words were Aberdonian. Was that gaelic? I always thought it was a completely different language but I can see how it would get muddled up.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:05 am
No Scottish blood in me, nor Irish. Not a drop.

My blood is pure Franco-Anglo-Saxo-Norman.

rolleyes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:18 am
ice_illusion
Hmm, I just realised about half those words were Aberdonian. Was that gaelic? I always thought it was a completely different language but I can see how it would get muddled up.

Gaelic has a fair few different forms...slight OR major differences between areas and so on.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Misty_Watersprite

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:25 am
Invictus_88

rolleyes

Exactly the same. My mum's family was working class; my dad's middle. The only blood connection to foreigners I have is my Auntie Maureen who emigrated to Australia.

Let's be boring-arsed purebloods together. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:03 am
Misty_Watersprite
Invictus_88

rolleyes

Exactly the same. My mum's family was working class; my dad's middle. The only blood connection to foreigners I have is my Auntie Maureen who emigrated to Australia.

If there is teaor yoghurtinvolved, then I'm game!

wink  

Invictus_88
Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:43 am
Invictus_88
Misty_Watersprite
Invictus_88

rolleyes

wink

What's that Francis? Did I spy some fermented milk-based comment in there? rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:22 am
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
Misty_Watersprite
Invictus_88

rolleyes

wink

What's that Francis? Did I spy some fermented milk-based comment in there? rolleyes

Not really. Well, maybe. Ish.

ninja  

Invictus_88
Captain

Angilwingz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:45 pm
Invictus_88
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
Misty_Watersprite
Invictus_88

rolleyes

wink

ninja
I'm pure female. Does that count? Cause I wouldn't mind a cup of tea.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:19 pm
Angilwingz
Invictus_88
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
Misty_Watersprite
Invictus_88

rolleyes

wink

ninja
I'm pure female. Does that count? Cause I wouldn't mind a cup of tea.

Well, if you're offering.

I suppose it'd be rude to decline someone's offer of tea.
Or yoghurt, for that matter..
Particularly from you of all people.

rolleyes  

Invictus_88
Captain

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:28 pm
ice_illusion

Gaelic is a completely different language and should be, by all rights, held in equal esteem as an official language of Scotland along with English.

What I am reffering to is an old idea of a Scottish language based on English, but different enough to be classified not as a dialect but as a language in it's own right. Scots was regarded to be a different language informally up until the act of union with England, wherupon it became recognised as a dialect of English. This was mostly due to the fact that it was mainly a spoken language. As such it had no formal spellings and few books.

The words are Aberdonian..so guess where I am from wink  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces