Head covering in Christianity Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Call Me Apple

Sparkly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:25 am
In reference to: "For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered."

~ 1 Corinthians 11:6-7

I am always curious how women take this quote, since it seems to vary to a large degree.

For example, Pentecostals grow their hair long to cover their head, and when asked why they do not cut their hair they cite this verse as well as the one before it stating that a woman's hair is her glory.

Mennonite & Amish women also observe this, by wearing bonnets to church and some wear them whenever in public.

And final example are Cathloic nuns, they site this quote when asked why they wear a headscarf.

How do you interpret this verse?
Do you observe it in church, in public, or at all?
Why or why not?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:38 am
Then why doesn't Joyce Meyers cover her head? Why doesn't the female pastor at my friend's Methodist church not cover her head?

It was a cultural thing. Just like women staying quiet in church. Praise teams are normally made up of women (from my experience) and there are many female pastors out there.

And just to let you know, I've taken it offensively since I shaved my head. The first time...  

ferret658

Call Me Apple

Sparkly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:56 am
ferret658
Then why doesn't Joyce Meyers cover her head? Why doesn't the female pastor at my friend's Methodist church not cover her head?

It was a cultural thing. Just like women staying quiet in church. Praise teams are normally made up of women (from my experience) and there are many female pastors out there.

And just to let you know, I've taken it offensively since I shaved my head. The first time...

Okay, you took it offensively...It's in the Bible so..sorry? confused  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:11 pm
I think nothing is wrong with woman covering their heads. If that's what they believe, than I don't see why not. I think girls, woman need to cover up so guys won't have to automatically stare in a perverted way. Wearing clothes that show extra skin, for example: cleavage . Should quit being so desperate when it comes to getting a guy's attention. I hope I don't offend anyone for what I just said? sweatdrop  

MatthewLovesChocolate123

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:34 pm
Dre, there is nothing to be offended by. That passage is in the Bible and it's one of the most ignored verses of the Bible, imo. You see many Christians complaining about Muslim women wearing hijabs but they fail to realize that the Bible commands women to wear headcoverings because of the sin of Eve..

I also love it when people claim the Bible isn't sexist. If people think wearing the hijab is oppressive and sexist, people need to look at the verse Appel Juice posted a little closely before judging another religion or another culture's ways. :3  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:35 pm
Matthew82-62
I think nothing is wrong with woman covering their heads. If that's what they believe, than I don't see why not. I think girls, woman need to cover up so guys won't have to automatically stare in a perverted way. Wearing clothes that show extra skin, for example: cleavage . Should quit being so desperate when it comes to getting a guy's attention. I hope I don't offend anyone for what I just said? sweatdrop
I'm not a Christian but I hate wearing or looking at shirts that show off cleavage, even though I myself don't have enough.  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:43 pm
I think head covering if perfectly acceptable if the woman feels it will help her in her walk with God. For some women too, it acts a something that sets them apart or reminds them about their commitment to God. It's more than a certain modesty thing.

And I agree with modesty, to an extent. I don't think women need to be walking around in lingerie, but I also feel like sometimes the blame for lustful thought it placed entirely on the woman's body. We tel women to cover up and not show any skin at all, but do we even tell the men to guard their minds from lustful thoughts? No. I'm of course talking about extreme examples of covering the woman's body, but regardless, I think the blame need to fall on both sexes. Some men are going to get aroused if they only see an ankle or even if the woman is not intending to dress provocatively.

I just get very irritated when the blame for lust is placed entirely on the woman and no one bothers to tell the men to guard their minds against lust.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:18 pm
I believe that particular verse is a continuation of the previous verses. Where it speaks about not cutting hair. A woman's hair is her covering, no hat or scarf is needed when a woman has her natural glory intact.

On the other hand, there are many pentecostal groups who teach a scarf or hat is also necessary even if a woman's hair is not cut.  

Atreadia Allaani

Call Me Apple

Sparkly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:52 pm
freelance lover
I think head covering if perfectly acceptable if the woman feels it will help her in her walk with God. For some women too, it acts a something that sets them apart or reminds them about their commitment to God. It's more than a certain modesty thing.

And I agree with modesty, to an extent. I don't think women need to be walking around in lingerie, but I also feel like sometimes the blame for lustful thought it placed entirely on the woman's body. We tel women to cover up and not show any skin at all, but do we even tell the men to guard their minds from lustful thoughts? No. I'm of course talking about extreme examples of covering the woman's body, but regardless, I think the blame need to fall on both sexes. Some men are going to get aroused if they only see an ankle or even if the woman is not intending to dress provocatively.

I just get very irritated when the blame for lust is placed entirely on the woman and no one bothers to tell the men to guard their minds against lust.

Yeah, I can agree with that sort of, about men guarding their minds against lust. In Islam, very little contact between non-family members of opposite is allowed...Women cover everything but the face, hands and feet - Men have to lower their gaze.

But i dont think enough pressure is put on men to control their lustful feelings ><  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:00 am
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
Dre, there is nothing to be offended by. That passage is in the Bible and it's one of the most ignored verses of the Bible, imo. You see many Christians complaining about Muslim women wearing hijabs but they fail to realize that the Bible commands women to wear headcoverings because of the sin of Eve..

I also love it when people claim the Bible isn't sexist. If people think wearing the hijab is oppressive and sexist, people need to look at the verse Appel Juice posted a little closely before judging another religion or another culture's ways. :3

OMG HOW DO YOU KNOW MY NAME?!?!?!?!? *hides*

Back to reality....I meant that I'm just offended by it when people look at the length of my hair and ask me, "What, do you want to be a boy?" or "You're a girl, your hair is supposed to be long!" or....my favorite (NOT) "You should cover that up. You're shaming yourself."

@ Juice (lol...juice.... mrgreen )

Don't be sorry. I didn't clarify what i meant well enough....I'm running on barely enough sleep, so I'm not speaking clearly. sweatdrop  

ferret658

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:01 am
ferret658
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden

OMG HOW DO YOU KNOW MY NAME?!?!?!?!? *hides*

Back to reality....I meant that I'm just offended by it when people look at the length of my hair and ask me, "What, do you want to be a boy?" or "You're a girl, your hair is supposed to be long!" or....my favorite (NOT) "You should cover that up. You're shaming yourself."

@ Juice (lol...juice.... mrgreen )

Don't be sorry. I didn't clarify what i meant well enough....I'm running on barely enough sleep, so I'm not speaking clearly. sweatdrop
You said it in an intro thread in either Mazu's guild, the Hardcore Jesus Freaks guild, Fire Fall, or this one. I don't remember.

I get the "do you want to be a boy" comment from my mum alot because I like my long hair being straight. It looks better straight. It's easier to manage. neutral  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:03 pm
That's weird that girls with short hair get that....

Well how about men with long hair? My boyfriend's hair is longer than mine, and I'm sure most conservatives would frown upon that (though that may be more with cultural connotations than anything.) I just wonder what it would mean if a woman hair is her glory, what about men?

freelance lover
Crew

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:09 pm
freelance lover

Well how about men with long hair? My boyfriend's hair is longer than mine, and I'm sure most conservatives would frown upon that (though that may be more with cultural connotations than anything.) I just wonder what it would mean if a woman hair is her glory, what about men?
Short hair.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:10 pm
freelance lover

For me I like it if a guy has long hair. Just not longer than mine. sweatdrop  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

ferret658

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:49 am
Boys are just icky in general.  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items