Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
Resurrecting "Is the Bible Appropriate for Children" Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ferret658

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:18 am
Okay, I admit, I have no life and I read old threads. Well, I didn't think that this one was exciting enough. And not to mention it wasn't all coming from christians.

The Title is the question. Here's my answer.

What part of a woman driving a tent peg through a man's head and into the ground do kids not want to hear about? What part of a left handed "ninja" priest killing a king on the toilet do kids not wanna hear? If they heard that story, do you know what their favorite part of it would be? The part where the hilt of the preist's sword gets swallowed up by the king's fat! rofl

And besides. How many of the dirty jokes did you catch on your kids' show or in all those countless Disney movies you watched? If kids read the Bible, they won't understand much of it except the stuff about Jesus. My youth leader's kids know all there is to know about Jesus, but nothing about Deborah or King David or Annanais and Sapphira. These kids read their NIV, plain black Bibles. How is the Bible not for small children? You can pick out the most violent stories in the Bible and give it to a 12 year old to read and he or she will think it's the coolest thing in the world that a grown man killed a lion then ate honey out of it's carcass while on his way to find a wife with his parents.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:26 am
You know, I think when handled appropriately, the Bible is perfect for children to read and learn. There are worse books after all... much worse books.

My parents did not get into all the details until they thought I was mature enough to handle it, but yeah... the fat swallowing dagger was pretty cool to me... still is.  

Atreadia Allaani

ferret658

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:28 am
I think I'm gonna hafta go with Judges and say the tent peg lady rules them all.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:08 am
I don't think reading the Bible is appropriate for a child, but for psychological reasons. A child is not mature enough to understand right and wrong as teenagers and adults understand it. Reading a story that says killing your enemy is okay (OT). Not only that but it could traumatize the child. It's better to wait till the child is old enough say 13-15.  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

ferret658

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:10 am
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
I don't think reading the Bible is appropriate for a child, but for psychological reasons. A child is not mature enough to understand right and wrong as teenagers and adults understand it. Reading a story that says killing your enemy is okay (OT). Not only that but it could traumatize the child. It's better to wait till the child is old enough say 13-15.

Or 10 and over to leet them see how cool the Bible is and get them really interested in it so they know just how hardcore and awesome God really is.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:12 am
ferret658
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden

Or 10 and over to leet them see how cool the Bible is and get them really interested in it so they know just how hardcore and awesome God really is.
If you want show how awesome God is, start with the NT.  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

ferret658

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:16 am
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
ferret658
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden

If you want show how awesome God is, start with the NT.

Well I don't have kids and I don't plan to have any anytime soon. But my method would be to start with the OT to show them that the just and loving Jesus in the NT is the same as the Living God of the OT and that He is to be revered and respected and feared and loved and prayed to and worshiped and He is also to be called upon because (classic parent line) "I'm not going to be here forever."  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:17 am
    I definitely think that the Bible is appropriate for children. Maybe hold off on Songs of Solomon until you give them the birds and the bees talk, though, and some parts of the Old Testament, definitely, until they are mature enough to understand it.

I've seen some childrens' Bibles that completely get everything wrong that is presented in the Bible. So yeah, I wouldn't use a childrens' Bible, but probably suggest certain books to start with based on their age. :3

comfylove

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:59 pm
The thing about the Bible for children is you're usually not going to be reading it verbatim to them. I've worked with kids for years, and anything you do with them you're going to paraphrase. Generally what you go for is the moral of the story since they're still learning right from wrong and about God. I find it best to hit up the main points with them, and as they mature elaborate upon things. I'm going to teach a 6 year old about God in a completely different way I teach a 13 year old. It's just a matter of trying to keep them engaged and interested, while having fun.

That being said, there are some parts of the Bible I would skip over with the younger ones, but not always because they're too violent. Sometimes they're just too complicated or the children are going to misinterpret them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:46 pm
I've always held the stance that nothing is inappropriate for children. Adults only call it inappropriate because THEY don't want to have to be the ones to explain it. Yes, some of the more subtle ideals will be lost on them, but that's what YOU are there for. Kids understand a lot more than we give them credit for, if only we take the time. Let your kids listen to a rock station, and explain to them that the 'bad' words they hear are okay for adults to say, but not for them, until they come of a certain age. Let your kids watch Lord of the Rings and explain the difference between fantasy and reality. Show them all the gritty stuff in the Bible and remind them that God doesn't LIKE to do these horrible things, but the situation at the time called for it, but not every situation does. When they're older they can delve into the Bible the way that we adults do. They can get into Bible studies and discussions and pester their pastors with unanswerable questions. Until then, don't shelter them from the nastiness found in there too. Otherwise the questions might turn to 'and just HOW is this OT God the same as the NT God' and all those other cynical things that teenagers think.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:23 am
Dang Ryuu, good call.

I suppose it also depends on the situation you're in. If I were a parent I'd be free to children questioning things, but as I am not, and as a teacher you have to be aware that some parents aren't going to want their children exposed to certain things. I know time constraints are also a problem. Last summer I had 20-25 six and seven year olds and half an hour to teach them about the Bible. You work with what you've got...

But, overall, I agree it's better to help kids understand things, rather than hiding them blindly or just telling them it's bad. It's like how some abstinence only sex educations will tell kids condoms aren't very effective in hopes of discouraging kids to have sex. Instead of discouraging them, they just have sex without one and get pregnant. It's better to inform them, because they will make their own choices and they will learn about it somewhere else, if not from you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Yeah, unfortunately I know exactly what you're talking about. stare The kids that are sheltered from EVERYTHING always get a real smack in the face when they have to head into the real world... and then they go nuts doing all the things they weren't allowed to do before. sweatdrop  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

ferret658

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:38 pm
Lol but do you really do you understand all the goat talk and mountains and whatever else comparison there is to the female anatomy that is mentioned in Song of Solomon? I mean I only skimmed over it because there were no Bible Study lessons on it. Is there specific stuff I'm missing?
I seem to have lost my Bible.....I mean...misplaced.....Input please....?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:27 am
ferret658
Lol but do you really do you understand all the goat talk and mountains and whatever else comparison there is to the female anatomy that is mentioned in Song of Solomon? I mean I only skimmed over it because there were no Bible Study lessons on it. Is there specific stuff I'm missing?

Oh no, I realize that. I actually wish I had had a Bible study or something over Song of Solomon when I was younger. Song of Solomon shows us that sex is a gift from God and that it is something to enjoy. Sex is not inherently sinful, dirty, or impure. My church was fairly open about sex, but for a long time I felt like even if I waited until I was married I would still feel guilty having sex. I saw sex as something dirty, impure, etc- which it's not at all. Sex is a wonderful thing, but only when used properly. I think parents need to openly talk about sex with their kids, but make sure they understand sex is meant to be kept within a loving and committed relationship. It's something to be respected and revered, not just given to the first cute boy or girl who's willing.  

freelance lover
Crew

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:33 am
ferret658

At the time those were the most beautiful and valuable things that existed. Ever see a snow-capped mountain shining in the light of the newly-risen sun? Very breathtaking. An entire herd of goats represents astounding wealth, and to be worth that much should be very flattering. It's actually quite sweet.  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff