Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
Salvation Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ferret658

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:47 am
Can we lose our Salvation? Some people seem to think so, and I was wondering where the Biblical basis for that belief is.

The way I was told we can't lose our Salvation is from the verse, "Nothing can snatch you from my Father's hand."  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:20 pm
Ah, the great question of "once saved, always saved?" To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. A friend of mine accepted Christ almost 10 years ago now... but since the night she said the prayer at the altar, hasn't done a thing toward furthering her relationship with God. In fact, I doubt she even remembers it now. There was about a week's worth of time where she expressed interest in finding a church and all, but after that, no matter how much I tried, I couldn't convince her to attend any services, or get into anything that might further her walk. Needless to say, she doesn't live a very Christian life right now, and over the past few years we've gotten to speak less and less about ANYTHING let alone spiritual matters. Is she still saved? I don't have an honest answer to that question. My heart tells me no, that to REALLY be saved you have to do more with it. You have to stick with the faith, and truly walk with God. The only verse that's coming to mind thinking about this is "faith without works is dead" and without faith what do we have?

But these are just MY thoughts and MY feelings on the matter. Anyone else can feel free to contradict me. xd  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Semiremis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:21 pm
Salvation isn't assured.

Matthew 24:10-13 10 And then many will fall away [1] and betray one another and hate one another. 11 And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12 And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

2 Peter 2:21-22 21 For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 What the true proverb says has happened to them: “The dog returns to its own vomit, and the sow, after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire.”

Romans 11:22-23 22 Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God's kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off. 23 And even they, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God has the power to graft them in again

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:12 pm
I do not think that true salvation can be lost, because I do not think that God loses Christians. If they are truly Christians; they might stray and wander, but they will always come back to Jesus.  

comfylove

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:38 pm
One again, I believe that if you reject God, you will not receive salvation. You're in essence rejecting your own salvation, and God is not going to give you something you don't want.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:34 pm
I agree, Salvation is not assured. Spiritual Death may occur at any time. That is why we have to keep a repentant heart before God.  

Atreadia Allaani

ferret658

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:23 am
That's interesting to me. I've always been told that you can't lose your salvation because God does not go back on His promises. "For whosoever calls upon the name of the LORD will be saved" was also one of the main verses for the proof. That is a promise that if we call upon God, He will take us out of the world and reroute our destination to Heaven.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:01 pm
ferret658
That's interesting to me. I've always been told that you can't lose your salvation because God does not go back on His promises. "For whosoever calls upon the name of the LORD will be saved" was also one of the main verses for the proof. That is a promise that if we call upon God, He will take us out of the world and reroute our destination to Heaven.

God will not go back on his promise, but you can go back on your end of the deal.

freelance lover
Crew

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:07 pm
I don't think God can take away your salvation. I mean if he were as benevolent as we think then wouldn't that be a contradiction...

I'll add more to this when I get home..  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:49 pm
ferret658

Take me as an example. I'm a practicing Satanist who once swore his loyalty to God and had a cross tattooed on him to mark the occasion. To be fair i was never a good Christian but I did say the words. Can a Satanist with no intention of ever coming back (mostly because I've actualy been living and thinking Satanicaly my whole life)  

Lazarus The Resurected

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:32 pm
freelance lover
ferret658

God will not go back on his promise, but you can go back on your end of the deal.
Absolutely, Positively True.

The thing of it is, we are not saved yet. We have to endure until the end. Those who endure to the end in the Faith will find their names written in the Lamb's Book of Life. The Scriptures are full of warnings about falling away from belief. Look again at the parable of the 10 virgins. The Virgins are all believers, but only part of them are solid, sold out, carry their cross, ready to the end believers. The others are eh-so-so mediocre laodacian believers. In the End, only half make it to the Marriage Supper. The others are turned away by God.

Spiritual death can occur at any moment in a person's life. Whether that person appears on the outside to be a fervent Christian, or not. Sin is the entrance of death, just like in the Garden of Eden. When we introduce sin into our lives, we begin to die.

Sorry I rambled on...  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:34 pm
Lazarus The Resurected
Take me as an example. I'm a practicing Satanist who once swore his loyalty to God and had a cross tattooed on him to mark the occasion. To be fair i was never a good Christian but I did say the words. Can a Satanist with no intention of ever coming back (mostly because I've actualy been living and thinking Satanicaly my whole life)

Keep sticking around. We might get you yet. wink

@freelance: I know I've said this before but... marry me. xd  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

ferret658

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:32 pm
Thanks for the imput. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:08 am
We are saved because Jesus was sacrificed on a cross. If you accept that- truly accept that, then chances are you aren't going to go back. It does happen occassionally, but if you've been changed into a new creature, how can you revert back? Even if you stumble and have a period of falling away from God, I don't believe you have lost your salvation. Your name is written in the Book of Life and cannot be erased- God's mind does not change and He does not go back on His promises. Chances are, God will do everything in His ability to drag you back, because He has already done so much to win you in the first place.  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:12 pm
The Amazing Ryuu
Lazarus The Resurected

Keep sticking around. We might get you yet. wink

@freelance: I know I've said this before but... marry me. xd

Haven't you asked fushigi the same thing? xD

Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out